Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Advice needed

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2014, 3:33 pm
Original Poster

Advice needed

Backstory: On July 10th I had an accident. My dog is a Jack Russell ran towards me while going down two steps. Needless to say I fx my ankle in two places and heavily damaged soft tissue in knee. I tore ACL in 2006, so that's gone. I tore MCL and a bunch other stuff. That's what the RN said, but there is more. I really destroyed my knee. Had the MRI and next visit to ortho surgeon in this Monday. I was on vacation in PIT as well.

That said, I'm in an aircast up to my knee for the ankle fx...and crutches with a wheelie walker at work. My knee is improving and hoping just PT and not surgery.

My next trip is in November to Europe for two weeks. I'm determined to go no matter what. I need 6 to 8 weeks in the boot.

Will I have issues if I need a knee brace? Going through security will I have to remove the device? I assume there is some metal as stabilizers. Will I have issues with narcotic prescribed pain meds? I know I will be facing intensive PT and will not cancel my trip. If I need to use a cane, is that OK on the plane?

It is so important I be in a Meaux, France on 11/11/14. I have friends in London saying the busses and the tube is disability friendly as well as the Paris Metro. That is the least of my worries.

If I was a horse, they would have shot me by now. Just kidding.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 12:10 pm

I'm sorry to hear about your accident! I hope you recover quickly.

As you've learned in the other thread, you will not need to remove your brace/cast/whatever. You may be required to have a manual pat down in lieu of going through the metal detector. If you are using a wheelchair at the airport (which you should!), you can remain seated in the wheelchair for the pat down.

You should have no difficulty with medications. Take them in your carry-on (never, never, never check your meds). It's a good idea to take them in the original containers with the prescription label affixed, but I've never had a problem with meds in unmarked baggies, either. If you are trying to conserve space, you can ask your pharmacy to dispense a larger prescription in smaller containers - my pharmacist puts my 90 day supply of pills in 3 30 day bottles. Take more pills than the number of days you will be traveling in case anything happens.

The accessibility of the Paris Metro, if by "accessibility" you mean "has an elevator", is limited. If you mean "can roll a wheelchair right onto a train", it's even more limited. Here is more information about that: http://parisbytrain.com/map-paris-wh...-rer-bus-tram/

Here's the (horrifyingly unreadable) accessibility guide to the London Tube: http://www.tfl.gov.uk/cdn/static/cms...-guide-map.pdf

Some more London Tube access info: https://www.tfl.gov.uk/transport-acc...voiding-stairs
Old Jul 26, 2014, 12:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
However, the RER (including the CDG line which technically is operated by SNCF) is pretty accessible. In fact, there's a website that updates whether elevators are in service several times a day. It also shows exactly which entrances/exits have the elevators.

The Paris Metro system has an escalator going up (only) at one exit for most stations but no down escalator and very few elevators. Connections often mean going up and down stairs and walking through long tunnels. It's not good with a wheeled suitcase, so I would say it's not very accessible for someone with disabilities.

Are you planning to take the train to Meaux? I would generally expect a few steep steps to get on and off local trains but at some major stations, the floor of the car is level with the station platform even though there may be a big gap (so that one big step on the same level is required). You may want to reserve a seat just in case your train is crowded.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 12:46 pm
Original Poster

Thanks Katja ans MSP for your replies. Now I will need to concentrate of getting better and I don't think I can manage steps with this cast.
Old Sep 13, 2014, 5:51 pm
Original Poster

Update. I have healed up pretty well and am in PT. I'm out of the aircast and wearing a support ankle sleeve and a hinged knee brace. Gone are the crutches and cane. I'm now able to go back to the gym. I still have some ankle pain mostly a past injury aggravated from the fall. My PT said I'm doing well and on the leg press machine I can press 100# without pain. Soon I'm going to wear a different knee brace with internal stabilizers, less obvious. The model is a Shockdoctor #2 support. I purchased at Dick's.

Because I'll be walking a lot I'll use the newer brace. I've tried on the knee neoprene sleeves, but they have no support whatsoever. I've tried the Shockdoctor and McDavid and not happy with either. There are tons of these types on amazon, but I really need to try them on.

Any suggestions are welcome.
Old Sep 13, 2014, 9:01 pm

Programs: UA 1/MM SPG gold, CEO: Grandmother of 4
Originally Posted by happymom2008
Update. I have healed up pretty well and am in PT. I'm out of the aircast and wearing a support ankle sleeve and a hinged knee brace. Gone are the crutches and cane. I'm now able to go back to the gym. I still have some ankle pain mostly a past injury aggravated from the fall. My PT said I'm doing well and on the leg press machine I can press 100# without pain. Soon I'm going to wear a different knee brace with internal stabilizers, less obvious. The model is a Shockdoctor #2 support. I purchased at Dick's.

Because I'll be walking a lot I'll use the newer brace. I've tried on the knee neoprene sleeves, but they have no support whatsoever. I've tried the Shockdoctor and McDavid and not happy with either. There are tons of these types on amazon, but I really need to try them on.

Any suggestions are welcome.
I am going to London in a couple weeks with a stress fracture in a "soft brace". Have been taping my foot and using lots of ice, and in PT. I was told it will take several months before it heals and I should stay off my feet. I had to give up my trip to Amsterdam (got in on the great fare), but I will go to London. Will be taking mostly buses except for the underground to hotel where my station has escalator. Try to take buses as much as you can, certainly no problem in Paris or London. Be sure to reserve a seat on train to Meaux. Good luck to you (and me). BTW/ I am in my seventies and bones are taking longer to heal! Safe travels
Old Sep 14, 2014, 1:47 pm
Original Poster

Steppie ..hope you feel better soon. I'm 57 and still have some pain in the ankle area from previous injury. I'm not looking forward to a cramped economy trip across the pond. I just which I could afford biz. There is no E+ either.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 1:03 pm

My experience with subway elevators in London and Paris was that even though the station might have them, that does not mean that they will actually be working. If stairs are going to be a problem, stick to the buses! The tube and the Metro are truly NOT disability friendly.

That said, I went to both, brought a wheelchair and used the subway systems without much of a problem. BUT, I can walk with a cane, and was using the wheelchair to decrease the amount of walking so I could still do a lot of activities, and I had very helpful traveling companions. When faced with what was often a LOT of stairs (up and then down and then up and then down and then, well, you get the idea...) they would carry the wheelchair and I would walk the stairs and ride in between. We got a very light travel wheelchair that even my 8 year old could carry without a problem.

It ended up still being a lot of walking for me, but I could not have done more. I think it is hard to do those cities without either planning to walk all day, having a wheelchair like I did, or severely limiting the amount of things that you do while you are there.

If you have travel companions that are willing to help out, a wheelchair might be a nice plan (as a bonus for the hassle involved, many attractions are free or discounted for the person in the wheelchair and usually for one attendant as well).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.