Wiki Posts
Search

Right handed driver

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2014, 6:24 pm
Original Poster

Right handed driver

Guys

This is not exactly travel related but hoping someone can help. I'm trying to get a friend get his first driver's license. He only has his right hand. Someone told him that he requires a turning indicator extension and I have no clue what that is or where to purchase it.

Does anybody have a link where one can buy it and is it usually specific to a car? He is going to soon have a Nissan altima transferred onto his name

Thx
Old May 17, 2014, 6:59 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by sam007
Guys

This is not exactly travel related but hoping someone can help. I'm trying to get a friend get his first driver's license. He only has his right hand. Someone told him that he requires a turning indicator extension and I have no clue what that is or where to purchase it.

Does anybody have a link where one can buy it and is it usually specific to a car? He is going to soon have a Nissan altima transferred onto his name

Thx
Your best bet is to contact the licensing office in the city/state or ? where he lives. In my area, he would be tested like any other driver but, depending on how much reach/mobility etc. he had with his right arm, would likely be restricted to automatic vehicles only (for obvious reasons) and would probably be required to install a steering wheel knob (for one handed steering) and perhaps the indicator extension you mentioned. Possibly even a foot operated parking brake rather than the usual hand brake as well. It would depend on what the examiner felt was necessary but there would definitely be the automatic transmission restriction and likely be some vehicle modifications required prior to his license being issued.
Old May 18, 2014, 4:39 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
This seems to explain the process.
Old May 18, 2014, 5:27 pm

Programs: United MP
Originally Posted by chgoeditor
That's a great link! Thanks.
Old May 18, 2014, 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by sam007
Guys

Thx
If you can't find the answer in the link posted earlier, tell us which state.
Old May 18, 2014, 6:14 pm
Original Poster

It's for New York. I'll try calling the AAA and see if they can help. If you have NYS specific resources too, please post them

Thanks so much!
Old May 19, 2014, 11:24 am

AAA can't help with this. Try contacting a place like Ride Away http://www.ride-away.com/ that installs hand and other controls. Let them tell you what needs to be done. You need to see a special driving therapist who trains those with disabilities how to drive. They also determine what equipment he needs. I don't know who to see in New York, but the one I went to in Maryland is http://www.rehabilitationoffrederick.com/index.html . That's the kind of person that he needs to see to get back on the road.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.