Search

Wheelchair help for a friend

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2014, 7:02 pm
In memoriam
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP "Life is good! Really good.""
Wheelchair help for a friend

I've read many of the posts here and am amazed by the strength and determination I see among you.

I have a wheelchair question for temporarily disabled (post-surgery) friend transferring through ORD. I’m trying to use knowledge gathered here to improve her in-
airport experience, and would appreciate any input.

Traveling in Economy she will arrive ORD T1 on United from SEA, leaving at 6:30 am, has a 3.5 hour layover, then departs from T5 for Dublin. She really wants a wheelchair for this transfer, although thinks she can do SEA by herself.

The problem is her major meal that day will be in the Chicago airport. Dining in T5 is very limited and I think she and her daughter and son-in-law would enjoy a nice meal in a T1 restaurant, meeting up with siblings and nieces, then go on to T5 closer to boarding time which is 3:50 pm.

Can the wheelchair person pick her up at the ORD gate upon arrival and take her to the restaurant or does he have to take her to her next gate? (I think she can walk to a restaurant in T1) Better would be is it possible for wheelchair to pick her up “somewhere” at 2 pm and assist with the transfer to T5 Aer Lingus boarding gate?

Then the return, SNN-ORD four-hour layover then on to SEA. I’ve sent her United Club passes for her, daughter and son-in-law. She’s arriving at T5, departing from T1, but the new wonderful club is in T2. Can she get the wheelchair from T5 arrival to T2, then have them pick her up several hours later to take her to her T2 departure to SEA? I see people being dropped at various airline clubs from time to time, but not sure about the different terminal issues.

She will have adults who could help with the wheelchair, but. having to return it to pickup location seems difficult in this situation.

She has a very serious health condition, but her doctor encourages her to travel to Ireland next week with siblings and adult children on a make-a-wish type trip funded by her brother. She is concerned because she just doesn’t have the stamina to walk long distances and doesn’t want to hold up the group spending the entire 3-4 hour layovers walking a bit, resting a bit, walking a bit.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. These are travel newbies but smart, I just want to help them have a better experience. Thank you,

Last edited by lili; May 12, 2014 at 7:24 pm Reason: just got email she is on 3:50 flight to DUB not 8:00 pm
Old May 20, 2014, 2:42 pm

Good for your friend!

Your questions are very airport-specific, and it may not be possible to get definitive answers. The best people to ask, unfortunately, are going to be United people at ORD and SEA.

I've had varying experiences that as far as I can tell depended to varying degrees on company policy (where "company"=the people that the airline or airport contract wheelchair services to) and the friendliness of the particular wheelchair pusher.

I'd say go for it, even without certainty. At ORD, ask if her daughter or son-in-law can push her instead of tying up a wheelchair pusher for an unknown amount of time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.