Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Disability Travel
Reload this Page >

TENS unit will I be allowed to use it on a transatlantic flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2014, 12:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UsAir,Priority Club, Bing, Southwest

In December I broke my arm and shoulder in three places and even thought I am going to PT often and doing exercises at home daily I am still in a great deal of pain. The physical therapist had me purchase a TENS unit as I am getting a little relief from it. He cautioned me that I may not be able to take it on my flight to Italy. I see the doctor in two weeks and was going to ask him for a note to so I can wear it on the long haul to Rome. I can slip it into my checked luggage on the short Rome to Venice flight rather than try to explain in Italian what the device is. If I take the machine out while going through security and declare it to the TSA will I be allowed to bring it and more importantly can I use it on the ten hour flight? It runs on a 9 volt battery so I can't imagine it would interfere with anything on the plane. The unit cost me close to $200 with supplies so I definitely don't want to have it taken away from me but the thought of ten hours is daunting when I am so uncomfortable in my own bed let alone trying to sleep on a plane.
thanks in advance for any suggestions
Old Apr 13, 2014, 3:50 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
The TSA is barred by the ADA from interfering with your right to use disability equipment, like your TENS device. While the TSA is generally awful, they are also generally compliant with disability laws. The only real issues I know people have had are over stupid things like the liquids ban and the distilled water that is needed for a CPAP machine, and even then they eventually get the TSA to behave.

I have no idea how the Italians would react, but I'd assume they will be fine. The only issue is that European disability and privacy laws, while in some ways much more protective than in the US, may not shield you from having to show proof of your medical need.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 3:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UsAir,Priority Club, Bing, Southwest
I know the Italians will be difficult, so I plan on just slipping into my checked luggage when we get to Rome (we have two hours until our flight for Venice leaves) I just want to know what I need the doctor to write for the long haul flight each way. I honestly don't think I will be able to make the flight without it unless I get a nerve block done
Old Apr 13, 2014, 4:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This is not a TSA issue. Don't worry about TSA. But, do note that the ADA has nothing to do with either TSA or with commercial air carriers.

Your air carrier may have restrictions on the use of the device onboard. If you call your carrier's general customer service number and ask to speak with the "medical desk", depending on the carrier, you will either be connected or or get a call back from an in-house person or an outside contractor. Just have the device make and model handy and this will be taken care of and noted in your record.

Not a worry.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.