Wiki Posts
Search

Prosthetic leg and exit row?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2013, 1:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Platinum, Starwood Platinum
Prosthetic leg and exit row?

Google didn't turn up much so hoping some wise folks around here might weigh in...
Have a trip this weekend with my bf who is an above the knee amputee and wears a prosthetic leg. That being said, he's fully mobile and in better shape than most people I know.

As I've been selecting seat assignments, I'm unsure as to whether we can sit in the exit row or not. Would certainly prefer to, and think he does pass the "willing and able" (and age) requirement, but I'm unsure as to whether flight attendants might see it otherwise. Don't want that to be the case and then wind up with whatever seats are available!

I figured if he wears pants, no one would know, but he prefers shorts, so hence the dilemma.

(And traveling in united hence posting in united forum - I could see airlines having different takes on this, but mods, please move if you feel appropriate)

Thoughts?

Last edited by rin1018; Sep 27, 2013 at 1:34 pm Reason: Clarity on airline.
Old Sep 27, 2013, 1:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Platinum, Starwood Platinum
You've all echoed what I was thinking - it's largely open to how someone interprets it and unfortunately might be subject to closed-mindedness. Guess we'll just stick with E+...
Old Sep 27, 2013, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
I would have no issues with your BF sitting in an exit row.
Old Sep 27, 2013, 1:54 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire Elite, National EE
Here's the spiel they give you when you select an exit row seat:
For safety purposes, Federal Regulations require that all customers sitting in these seats meet certain criteria and agree to carry out specific actions in the event of an emergency. To satisfy these requirements, you must:
  • Be at least 15 years of age and able to perform all of the functions listed below without assistance.
  • Not be traveling with: a customer who requires special care, such as a small child; a pet or emotional support animal; a portable oxygen concentrator; or any other item or companion that may prevent you from performing any of the required functions listed.
  • Read and speak well enough to understand the instructions, provided by United in printed or graphic form, for opening exits and other emergency procedures and give information during an emergency.
  • See well enough to perform the emergency exit functions. Persons may wear glasses or contact lenses.
  • Understand English well enough and hear well enough to understand crew members' commands. Persons may wear a hearing aid.
  • Be able to reach the emergency exit quickly and assist customers off an escape slide.
  • Be able to use both hands, both arms and both legs, as well as maintain balance and be strong and flexible enough to operate the exit and any slide mechanism; open the exit and go quickly through it; stabilize the escape slide; assist others in getting off an escape slide; and clear the exit row of obstructions including window hatches as required. Some window hatches that must be lifted can weigh as much as 58 lbs (26 kgs).
That last bullet is where I think your BF would be in trouble. I'm guessing the FAs probably would take a strict view on that rule.
Old Sep 27, 2013, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
At risk of OMNI, he has use of both legs - one of which happens to be a prosthetic.
Old Sep 27, 2013, 1:56 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire Elite, National EE
Originally Posted by aacharya
At risk of OMNI, he has use of both legs - one of which happens to be a prosthetic.
I just don't see a FA appreciating that fact. And, if they do bump them from the exit row, who knows which seats they'd end up with. I just wouldn't risk it.
Old Sep 27, 2013, 2:08 pm

I believe the FAs and many of the pax would believe he does not pass the "able to use both hands, arms, and legs" test.
Old Sep 27, 2013, 4:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
Originally Posted by AirportPlanner
I believe the FAs and many of the pax would believe he does not pass the "able to use both hands, arms, and legs" test.
Considering the huge blobs they allow to sit in the exit rows now that you can just look at and know there's no way they can physically fit through a 737 overwing exit, I would personally have zero problem with having someone otherwise fully fit & mobile but with a prosthetic limb. Better to have someone that at absolute worst has to toss a leg through the door before leaving the plane than someone that can't fit through at all and dooms the rest of us stuck behind them.
Old Sep 27, 2013, 8:38 pm
Formerly known as tonivitanza

Sorry, but as a flight attendant (16 years) I would never allow your boyfriend to sit there. Even if he could very well open the door and help in an evac, other people on board (possibly including FAA inspectors) might not feel as confident. I also don't allow those who need a seatbelt extender or who don't absolutely convince me that they can actually FIT through the exit door. I am very fussy about my exit rows and I don't apologize for it one bit.
CaptainPicard likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2013, 8:23 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
For more discussion, I'll move this to the Disability Travel forum. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Sep 28, 2013, 9:41 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
+1 - Agreed. This has nothing to do with the treatment of an individual who may have a disability but rather with the limited time and capacity of a FA to make an appropriate assessment.

It's entirely possible that OP's BF could perform all of the functions required of an exit row pax, but it's entirely possible that he can't. It's more likely not the case due to the prosthetic and that's simply a fact of life and no way reflects on him in any way.

All kinds of people sit in exit rows when they should not. People with back injuries who lack the mobility to twist and pull the exit hatch open and so forth. Externally the FA can't see the issue so it passes. Those people put themselves and others at risk, but it's also something which simply can't be helped.
Old Sep 28, 2013, 10:53 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
Of interest the US Army has Infantrymen with prosthetic legs perform foot patrols in hostile areas. I think there is some degree of comparison there.
Old Sep 28, 2013, 3:14 pm

Programs: NZ, EK, QF, SQ.
My son has an above-knee amputation. When flying, he books as aisle seat, with the aisle on the side of his prosthetic leg. He's had no problems (apart from the security screener at LGW, who required him to remove his prosthesis).
Old Sep 28, 2013, 4:13 pm

In addition to the company specific information posted by coutura, here is a relevant portion of the regulatory requirements:
14 CFR Part 121.585 - Exit seating
(b) No certificate holder may seat a person in a seat affected by this section if the certificate holder determines that it is likely that the person would be unable to perform one or more of the applicable functions listed in paragraph (d) of this section because--

(1) The person lacks sufficient mobility, strength, or dexterity in both arms and hands, and both legs:
(i) To reach upward, sideways, and downward to the location of emergency exit and exit-slide operating mechanisms;
(ii) To grasp and push, pull, turn, or otherwise manipulate those mechanisms;
(iii) To push, shove, pull, or otherwise open emergency exits;
(iv) To lift out, hold, deposit on nearby seats, or maneuver over the seatbacks to the next row objects the size and weight of over-wing window exit doors;
(v) To remove obstructions similar in size and weight to over-wing exit doors;
(vi) To reach the emergency exit expeditiously;
(vii) To maintain balance while removing obstructions;
(viii) To exit expeditiously;
(ix) To stabilize an escape slide after deployment; or
(x) To assist others in getting off an escape slide;

(2) The person is less than 15 years of age or lacks the capacity to perform one or more of the applicable functions listed in paragraph (d) of this section without the assistance of an adult companion, parent, or other relative;

(3) The person lacks the ability to read and understand instructions required by this section and related to emergency evacuation provided by the certificate holder in printed or graphic form or the ability to understand oral crew commands.

(4) The person lacks sufficient visual capacity to perform one or more of the applicable functions in paragraph (d) of this section without the assistance of visual aids beyond contact lenses or eyeglasses;

(5) The person lacks sufficient aural capacity to hear and understand instructions shouted by flight attendants, without assistance beyond a hearing aid;

(6) The person lacks the ability adequately to impart information orally to other passengers; or,

(7) The person has:
(i) A condition or responsibilities, such as caring for small children, that might prevent the person from performing one or more of the applicable functions listed in paragraph (d) of this section; or
(ii) A condition that might cause the person harm if he or she performs one or more of the applicable functions listed in paragraph (d) of this section.

(c) Each passenger shall comply with instructions given by a crewmember or other authorized employee of the certificate holder implementing exit seating restrictions established in accordance with this section.

(d) Each certificate holder shall include on passenger information cards, presented in the language in which briefings and oral commands are given by the crew, at each exit seat affected by this section, information that, in the event of an emergency in which a crewmember is not available to assist, a passenger occupying an exit seat may use if called upon to perform the following functions:

(1) Locate the emergency exit;
(2) Recognize the emergency exit opening mechanism;
(3) Comprehend the instructions for operating the emergency exit;
(4) Operate the emergency exit;
(5) Assess whether opening the emergency exit will increase the hazards to which passengers may be exposed;
(6) Follow oral directions and hand signals given by a crewmember;
(7) Stow or secure the emergency exit door so that it will not impede use of the exit;
(8) Assess the condition of an escape slide, activate the slide, and stabilize the slide after deployment to assist others in getting off the slide;
(9) Pass expeditiously through the emergency exit; and
(10) Assess, select, and follow a safe path away from the emergency exit...
Old Sep 30, 2013, 1:49 am

Please remember, that a window exit is above and beyond what the FAA deems an appropriate exit allowable within the 90 second evac of an airplane. You are just a helper in this scenario. The door exits are much more expedient.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.