FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Disability Travel (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/disability-travel-224/)
-   -   Best CPAP Machine for Travel (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/disability-travel/1439059-best-cpap-machine-travel.html)

bkafrick Feb 15, 2013 6:03 pm

Best CPAP Machine for Travel

Apologize if this is in the wrong forum, but a search Flyertalk-wide search didnt seem to produce any results on this specific topic.

I'm heading into a sleep study this weekend. Quite sure I'll be diagnosed with Sleep Apnea and will be fitted for a CPAP machine. As a moderately frequent flyer, I want to make sure i'm educated enough on the various types of machines so that I recommend and/or purchase the correct one(s) for travel.

I see a lot of people commenting on the Resmed S9 as one of their favorites?

What are others using? Pros/Cons? Any help or recommendations would be great.

bkafrick

glennaa11 Feb 15, 2013 6:24 pm

You might be better off posing this question at one of the sleep apnea forums instead like
http://www.apneasupport.org/index.php

I think the S9 is one of the lightest ones out there. Part of you choice may depend on whether you decide to use a nasal mask or full face mask. For example there's the Transcend Travel CPAP which is very small and instead of using a heated humidifier it has a little thing to uses the moisture you exhale to humidify the air. But it's not as effective as a real humidifier and only works with certain nasal masks.

I have been lugging a older Respironics (now Phillips Respironics) M-series around for the last few years. It's not terrible but it is one more thing to deal with which is kind of a pain. The carrying case that came with it is pretty bad so I ended up buying one that was designed for the old Resmed S8. It has more room so I can actually stick other things beside the machine into it which is nice since it's not supposed to count against the carryon allowance.

I've been thinking about getting a new machine though.

dtsm Feb 15, 2013 7:35 pm

The S9 by ResMed [released late 2011] is an excellent unit, make sure to get the automatic [APAP], and not straight CPAP model. It is quiet, small footprint and lots of bells and whistles for monitoring your sleep [you'll learn about that on cpaptalk.com's learning sections]. The downside for travel is the power cord includes a brick adapter.

The S8 by ResMed is the older generation but IMHO an excellent unit also. Make sure to get the S8 AutoSet II model. This is a great travel unit -- power is a simple cord, no brick.

Note, airlines [especially international flights] are getting stricter when using cpap in-flight with their power source. Many now require either battery pack [expensive, $300-500].

I am not familiar with the Respironic models but they are also excellent. And Aeiomed made a nice small unit - they are no longer around but if you can find a good second hand unit, something to consider. Again cpap.com has info for you.

On a personal note, I have the S9 Auto at home and a backup S8 AutoSet II just for travel....but the S9 would work as well.

cpaptalk.com is one of the best forums for apnea folks...the equivalent of FT for hoseheads :D
cpap.com is one of the most reliable on-line sellers of equipment, if for nothing else, ratings and reference price point
secondwindcpap.com is excellent and reliable on-line seller of used/new-out of box equipment

Once you start, pm if you need further help. Keep in mind cpap has 95%+ efficacy rate but a significantly lower compliance rate...be patient and don't give up!

glennaa11 Feb 15, 2013 8:18 pm

I use cpapxchange.com which is also very good.

Shouldn't OP's doctor be the one who decides whether he needs an APAP or a regular CPAP?

tentseller Feb 16, 2013 4:11 am

I have ordered a Transcend 12NST100A, advertised as the smallest on the market with battery power options. It also has a no reservoir humidifying system.

No user experience with it yet.

There is more travel with CPAP discussion in the disability travel section. I suggested to moderator to relocate thread.

dtsm Feb 16, 2013 6:51 am

Originally Posted by glennaa11 (Post 20256958)
I use cpapxchange.com which is also very good.

Shouldn't OP's doctor be the one who decides whether he needs an APAP or a regular CPAP?

Apap units can be used in Cpap mode.

One should always insist on unit that is both apap and has data monitoring capabilities. Doctors and even worst the DME suppliers don't tell you this but all educated hose heads know this (often from bad experiences)!

This will give more in depth discussion re apap
http://www.cpaptalk.com/our-collecti...sons-APAP.html

And for newbies, comprehensive FAQ
http://www.cpaptalk.com/our-collective-cpap-wisdom.php

gfunkdave Feb 16, 2013 8:24 am

Let's move this over to Disability Travel since it's not really a tech item, and there are some other CPAP threads there.

slawecki Feb 16, 2013 9:19 am

Originally Posted by gfunkdave (Post 20258997)
Let's move this over to Disability Travel since it's not really a tech item, and there are some other CPAP threads there.

1. a lot of the machines do not have a humidifier. how does one avoid cotton mouth without a humidifier?

2. i acquired an attractive zippered bag that is about a quarter the size of a typical shopping bag. i carry the cpap in it. i then attach it to the arms(?) of my rollaboard with a bungee cord. it fits under the seat in front of me along with my laptop and kindle.

i do not take it off the rollaboard when it goes through the x-ray machine

dtsm Feb 16, 2013 9:57 am

Originally Posted by slawecki (Post 20259244)
1. a lot of the machines do not have a humidifier. how does one avoid cotton mouth without a humidifier?

Humidifier is to assist with breathing [thru mask]. Note most battery paks won't support humidifier, and for those airlines that still permit use of their power, they definitely won't permit same.

Cotton mouth occurs if one 'leaks' through mouth when sleeping - common issue for hose heads. Two often solutions is either chin strap or taping of mouth [yes - done it for several months myself, using 3M blue painter's tape, #2080]

tentseller Feb 16, 2013 7:17 pm

The Trenscend uses a in hose absorbent "sponge" which trapped the heat and humidity from the exhale and transfer it to the inflow air on the inhale. This is what they claim. I will report how well it works after some usage.

http://www.mytranscend.com/

I find I need some type of moisturizing. When I travel without the humidifier unit I depend on saline nasal spray and water based nasal gel.

I intend to use this for travel and the Resmed 9 plus humidifier for the two "homes".

Davidwnc Mar 23, 2013 2:10 pm

For travelling I use the Transcend II. It's great. Small, not too loud, and even the transformer is not to big (I also have the bigger battery for the few occasions when I might need it. I use my old S8 elite for everday (it never moves from my bedside.) I like having a unit in a bag with all the accessories I will need ready to go (hose, mask, cord, transformer, battery, extension cord and universal plug adaptor.)

I guess I could use the Transcend II everyday, but to me it just seems too small and light for that. Perhaps because I started using CPAP's 20 years ago when you didn't have much choice, and units were much larger, I got used to big machines...so it's probably more of a perception of a problem, than a problem itself in using such a small light unit everynight.

tentseller Mar 23, 2013 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by Davidwnc (Post 20470291)
For travelling I use the Transcend II. It's great. Small, not too loud, and even the transformer is not to big (I also have the bigger battery for the few occasions when I might need it. I use my old S8 elite for everday (it never moves from my bedside.) I like having a unit in a bag with all the accessories I will need ready to go (hose, mask, cord, transformer, battery, extension cord and universal plug adaptor.)

I guess I could use the Transcend II everyday, but to me it just seems too small and light for that. Perhaps because I started using CPAP's 20 years ago when you didn't have much choice, and units were much larger, I got used to big machines...so it's probably more of a perception of a problem, than a problem itself in using such a small light unit everynight.

As another long term (17yrs) CPAC user I have the same major concerns. The longevity and durability of a lower voltage motor in a small unit.

The Transcend is in the travel kit bag and it is a grab and go item when I need to head out.

footypjman Apr 2, 2013 12:23 pm

Clueless CPAP user

I have been using the same old CPAP (Remstar Plus (?)) for YEARS with little to no issues. I think I am somewhat "addicted" to it, though, as I can sleep for brief periods (couple of hours max), but not an extended time without using it.

I have flown LAX-BKK (when Thai had the non-stop) and LAX-HKG multiple times and never even thought about using a cpap on the plane. As a result, I get a couple of hours of sleep and spend the first day of my vacation in a bit of a fog.

Next trip is in November, and I am considering getting a second cpap to use for travel -- frankly, the old one I have now is a pain in that it takes a ton of space (especially when you add the hose/mask).

Any thoughts on the Zzz-pap vs the Transcend? Zzz-pap is a little bigger, but still about 1/2 the size of my current one (and about 1/2 the price of the Transcend).

How do I see if either is the FAA approved list?
I called Cathay, but the reservation agent admitted their list is not exactly up-to-date. I;m pretty sure my Remstar is too old be FAA approved.

Thanks in advance for any/all advice and guidance

mromalley Apr 2, 2013 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by footypjman (Post 20523858)
I have been using the same old CPAP (Remstar Plus (?)) for YEARS with little to no issues. I think I am somewhat "addicted" to it, though, as I can sleep for brief periods (couple of hours max), but not an extended time without using it.

I have flown LAX-BKK (when Thai had the non-stop) and LAX-HKG multiple times and never even thought about using a cpap on the plane. As a result, I get a couple of hours of sleep and spend the first day of my vacation in a bit of a fog.

Next trip is in November, and I am considering getting a second cpap to use for travel -- frankly, the old one I have now is a pain in that it takes a ton of space (especially when you add the hose/mask).

Any thoughts on the Zzz-pap vs the Transcend? Zzz-pap is a little bigger, but still about 1/2 the size of my current one (and about 1/2 the price of the Transcend).

How do I see if either is the FAA approved list?
I called Cathay, but the reservation agent admitted their list is not exactly up-to-date. I;m pretty sure my Remstar is too old be FAA approved.

Thanks in advance for any/all advice and guidance

Check out www.cpaptalk.com - I'm sure someone over there has an opinion on both models

tentseller Jun 13, 2013 1:20 pm

3 months update on transcend:

6 trips, 14 flight, 16 locations, 46 nights.

It was simple to carry. I manage to pack the unit as part of my carry on roller. I am now back to roller and personal/computer bag. no more bag on top and bag dangling off the tether strap of the roller.

In actual use I did not find any issue of using this vs the Resmed 9 at home. This trip was mostly SE Asia so with the high humidity I did not notice any difference in the transcend hose's built in humidifier. The only time that I felt dryness was after overnighting at LAX Westin.

I do not use Transcend's batteries but rigged up a plug from my backup battery to it for use in flight.