Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best CPAP Machine for Travel

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2013, 12:19 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium
Transcend-more use advice

I'm thinking about the Transcend after 15 years on the now-defunct 420G.

I must have a humidifier, especially on the long overnight plane flights. Will the non-water humidifier work with enough moisture for 10-12 hours overnight?

And do all of the masks that support the non-water humidifier really make you look like you are a Martian from outer space? The ones I currently use are very discrete. But water is such a big hassle in the plane.

And a related question... The existing masks I wear on the plane don't mess up my hair. But with 28+ hours in-transit, I'm afraid these full-size masks will mess my hair up on the first flight and I will never look decent again until I am done with my fourth flight. Any ideas or experience or tips?
Old Sep 23, 2013, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
The Transcend system is better than no humidification but it is not the same as a heated humidifier. I still use nasal gel and spray for in-flight CPAP usage. Trying a run a humidifier off my travel backup battery is too much of a load for TPAC flights unless I do not need the battery pack for any other purpose at the destination.

Messy hair and facial marks is still something I and dealing with, hot towel wet comb post flight is a must.
Old Sep 25, 2013, 6:50 am

I have the H6B it works okay but you have to change the filters often, it is not like having a heated humidifier by any stretch but it is better than nothing at all. There is nothing that compares to the Transcend as far as weight and size go, also, the H6B will only work with some nasal cushions, they do have a humidifier for the Transcend but it is only available right now in Europe. Maybe you can pick one up if your are over there.
Old Sep 28, 2013, 12:47 pm

If you use the h6b every night, all night, how often do you have to change the filter? Is it as gross as they say?
Old Sep 29, 2013, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I use the H6B when I am travelling and I usually dump the filter after a short trip and put in a new one when I head out. Trips longer than 5 days I will change it weekly.

It is not a perfect humification system but better than nothing when other choices are not possible.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 2:43 pm

I just joined this forum and stumbled upon this thread as I was recently diagnosed with sleep apnea myself and my job as a financial due diligence consultant requires a lot of travel. I looked into this myself and the ResMed S9 is a great CPAP but there is a new one out called the dreamstation which is light and effective. This article about the best CPAP machine seems to agree, but the ResMed S9 is also on this list as well. Just a little lower.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 4:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is what I use for travel, I bring battery pack on an as needed basis.
http://hdmusa.com/products/z1-cpap/

My home machine is the Resmed S10.

Last edited by tentseller; Mar 29, 2016 at 4:56 am
Old Apr 4, 2016, 7:46 am

Originally Posted by tentseller
This is what I use for travel, I bring battery pack on an as needed basis.
http://hdmusa.com/products/z1-cpap/
Only downside is not apap only straight cpap settings. Otherwise, looks quite interesting.
Old Apr 7, 2016, 10:40 am

Programs: DL Gold, AA Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
I've carried the S9 with me pretty much everywhere, including backpacking through Italy, with not many issues on size. Looking at all of the videos, it seems like nothing that includes a humidifier have come in versions that are much smaller.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by FivePointPack
it seems like nothing that includes a humidifier have come in versions that are much smaller.
Take a look here: http://www.cpap.com/cpap-machines/tr...ap-machine.php
Old Jul 6, 2016, 6:12 pm

Another good option is Winx

If you don't want to travel with your big CPAP machine with all the tubes and gear, there's an alternative, new device called the Winx Sleep Therapy System.

Winx uses a new approach called Oral Pressure Therapy. Instead of delivering forced air through a mask like CPAP, Winx delivers a light vacuum through a soft, flexible mouthpiece that fits comfortably in your mouth. The mouthpiece is connected to the Winx console by a slim tube. Winx keeps your airway open during sleep by gently drawing the soft palate forward and stabilizing the tongue.

The Winx console is about the size of a soda can, measuring 5 ½ x 3 ½ x 3 ⅝ inches. The entire Winx travel kit is the size of a rolled-up t-shirt and fits in your carry-on. It doesn’t become your carry-on.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 2:41 pm

Thumbs up What I use

I use the Apex Medical XT Auto Machine. It's portable, doesn't take up too much space in the suitcase and weighs around 1.76 lb. It's reasonably priced and although it may not be a well known brand, it's worked well for me since I bought it. Been using it for a few months now.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 12:22 pm

Programs: AA explat,Adm Club,Priority Club, and all nonsense in my comic book mind.
travel cpap

The last post was about 2 years ago,,,any problems etc with any of the machines mentioned? Or any info about new ones. I"ve been putting off getting one but its getting hard for me to haul it around getting on and off public transportation.

Thanking you in advance for informative information!!

RD
Old Feb 26, 2019, 12:47 pm

I am not able to help you, but I too want a new travel CPAP. So I am asking too! Small. Able to run 12 hours on a battery for long overnight flights. And I need a humidifier but don’t like using heated water on the plane. Any experience with not water tank humidifiers?
Old Feb 28, 2019, 3:14 pm

This is the one I have been eyeing. Resmed Air mini, it weighs about 11 oz and fits in the palm of your hand. There is not a humidifier component, it uses "humidex" which is part built into the hose. From my understanding, it takes the moisture that we exhale and recyles it into to some sort of humdification. You have to use the ResMed mask and hose designed for the AirMini

https://www.cpap.com/productpage/res...l-cpap-machine

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.