Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best CPAP Machine for Travel

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2019, 9:32 pm

Programs: AA explat,Adm Club,Priority Club, and all nonsense in my comic book mind.
ComeOnNow..any updates on this after using for 2 years?

and yes I see its a one timer as far as contributing.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 2:00 am

To be honest, I switched a few years ago and now use one of my old S8's as my travel machine.
It's not much bigger than the travel machines.
It doesn't require a power brick, so I can just bring the cord(s) specific to where I am traveling (Europe, UK, US, etc.)
Its very sturdy, I have a few, and they have all been knocked around a bit but never given out.
It's almost as quiet as my S9 at home.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 12:05 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by 925
I am not able to help you, but I too want a new travel CPAP. So I am asking too! Small. Able to run 12 hours on a battery for long overnight flights. And I need a humidifier but don’t like using heated water on the plane. Any experience with not water tank humidifiers?
Most batteries won't run 12 hours with the humidifier on; at least mine won't.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 12:39 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium
I carry an external battery that will allow me two plus 10 hour sleeps in a row. Made expressly for CPAPs. I need this capacity for my longer journeys.
Old May 1, 2019, 7:37 pm

I have both a Z1 and Z2 (from cpap.com). I think it’s the smallest machine out there. I haven't used it in air yet but I did order a battery pack which is supposed to last a full night. A lot of planes have outlets these days but that might be an option for you. I travel every week for work and love the Z1 and Z2 personally. It fits in the backpack and I leave the hose, mask and power supply in my bag. Unlike the bulky machines where everyone knows you are carrying a CPAP this one is discrete.

I have a few flights to Europe coming up. I typically don’t sleep on planes and I am thinking about it (I hope to be in business or first where it’s semi privacy) but I’m a little concerned the noise may be too much. Planes out loud so I doubt it I just wouldn’t want to upset another passenger.
Old May 2, 2019, 4:40 pm

Programs: AA explat,Adm Club,Priority Club, and all nonsense in my comic book mind.
Originally Posted by Brett Byers
I have both a Z1 and Z2 (from cpap.com). I think it’s the smallest machine out there. I haven't used it in air yet but I did order a battery pack which is supposed to last a full night. A lot of planes have outlets these days but that might be an option for you. I travel every week for work and love the Z1 and Z2 personally. It fits in the backpack and I leave the hose, mask and power supply in my bag. Unlike the bulky machines where everyone knows you are carrying a CPAP this one is discrete.

I have a few flights to Europe coming up. I typically don’t sleep on planes and I am thinking about it (I hope to be in business or first where it’s semi privacy) but I’m a little concerned the noise may be too much. Planes out loud so I doubt it I just wouldn’t want to upset another passenger.
Wow just happened to log in and see this after some length of time. I normally dont sleep on planes, my concerns are noise (for me!!) and weight and size--and cost. Its getting too hard for my to lug my 10 yr old cpap around. I'd like to hear your thoughts on these issues!! Thanks.
Old May 2, 2019, 5:01 pm

The weight and size of the Z1 and Z2 are both amazing. It’s slightly bigger than a can of soda and very lightweight. As for noise, reviews are mixed on this. I have a RedMed at home and only use this when traveling which is typically 4 days per week. And when I travel I am usually alone except for the times when I am with my family and they have never complained but they could just be used to it.

I am thinking of using on my upcoming flight but I too am concerned about sound. I will be in first for one leg and business for another which means there will be space between other passengers, but in coach I don’t know if your neighbor would be upset. As for cost, I think it’s worth it not having to lug around the big machine but that’s a personal decision. If I use on my two upcoming trips to Europe I will come back and post an update but I “think” considering how loud planes can be that the sound will probably drown out...

I think CPAP.com has a 30 day trial with every CPAP so you can try it and send it back if you want. I believe that return option is automatically added when you check. “Add to cart” just to make sure but I think you can return any machine within that period.
Old May 2, 2019, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
I have used the Z1 with the powershell extensively on TPAC flights to get a good sleep in Y. Over 30+ trips and never had complains
ts about the noise. The plane is not a quiet place, to begin with.
I I know I have 110V at my seat I skip the powershell to reduce bulk and weight.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 2:10 pm

Thanks all for posting. I am still debating (had to get a replacement for the machine I was originally using), so holding off $$. no travel til EOY scheduled, except for local trips.

Another issue is that I am planning a tour to Bhutan, and there are 3 nights that will be in HIGH elevations...most devices indicate effective to about 8000 or 8500 feet. With the one I have both the pulmonary unit and my doctor say its ok to use, will automatically adjust, and not blow up or something extreme. I'm hoping that a travel unit will also be able to work, even if impaired, it would be something... I think.. What kind of results at altitude have people experienced (if any..)

Last edited by retirementdreams; Aug 4, 2019 at 3:02 pm
Old Aug 8, 2019, 6:20 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum; Amex Plat; Four Seasons; Fairmont; HH; etc.; "Retirees-In-Training"
Sorry - just noticed this topic.

You might try browsing for this on the "disabled travel" section of CruiseCritic (many of the issues that arise are not "cruise-specific"):

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/foru...cruise-travel/

I don't see very active and recent threads, so try a search. The topics seem to run in waves.

GC
Old Aug 15, 2019, 7:15 pm

Thank you GC!
Old Jan 13, 2020, 12:02 am

Programs: DL PM
retirementdreams (or anyone else)

Just wondering if you found yourself a travel CPAP and how it's been for you. I've been thinking about getting one as I'm getting annoyed toting around my ResMed Airsense 10. Was thinking about the Dreamstation, since it uses standard tubing unlike the airMini. But I see mention of the Z1 and Z2 which I initially wrote off because the price was so low and you get what you pay for.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 3:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by mrdavedog

Just wondering if you found yourself a travel CPAP and how it's been for you. I've been thinking about getting one as I'm getting annoyed toting around my ResMed Airsense 10. Was thinking about the Dreamstation, since it uses standard tubing unlike the airMini. But I see mention of the Z1 and Z2 which I initially wrote off because the price was so low and you get what you pay for.
Original Z1 user for 6 yrs. About 30 nights per year. Still working.
Due to the lack of humiliation the ResMed 10 comes along for longer trips.
mrdavedog likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2022, 10:09 pm

Originally Posted by mrdavedog

Well this is pretty embarrassing but I never noticed this post. I did buy a travel CPAP...the Z2 (model replaced Z1). I was initially apprehensive about taking it on a trip to Nepal, and Bhutan. At no point did we overnight over 8500', but I was worried about its performance. It was fine. A few people complained about the Z1 being loud... I've not noticed it at all with Z2, and I've probably taken it on 10-15 trips.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.