Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Disability Travel
Reload this Page >

Tools in Carry-on For My Wheelchair

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2013, 10:22 am
Original Poster

The last time we flew, the two wrenches and small socket set that my spouse put in our checked bag disappeared on its way to Mexico. While neither of the items were expensive, it was frustrating since finding the correct sizes to replace them while we were in Mexico, took a fair amount of time. These items are the only ones that he can use to adjust and fix various parts of my manual wheelchair and they are odd sizes.

I would much rather have them in our carry-ons but am afraid that TSA will say they aren't allowed. We have tried to find wrenches that will work with my wheelchair that are shorter than seven inches, but can't find the correct, fairly odd sizes in shorter lengths.

I spent some time looking on the TSA website and all I can find is that those items are prohibited and nothing about any kind of exception, even for wheelchairs. I am hoping that people here (who know a lot more about the ins and outs of TSA that we do) can help me figure out what to do!
Old Feb 10, 2013, 3:24 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
While I don't now the answer, I would suggest you ask the moderator to move this over to the disability forum, you may get more exposure to people who have direct experience there. Maybe even find a shorter set of tools.

Good luck.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/disability-travel-224/
Old Feb 10, 2013, 8:31 pm

I don't know the answer either, but why not list what tools you need? Maybe someone can help tools that will work in this situation.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 9:47 pm

What kind of chair?

First, I always take my tools in carry on, ever since the sad occasion in SMF ten years ago when my husband, who is a wimp when it comes to facing down TSA, persuaded me to put them in my checked bag. As I watched the bag sail off on the conveyor belt, my footrest fell off with a bang, pretty much rendering me completely immobile. It took an hour for my husband to find someone with a frigging hex wrench (thank you, Sacramento bicycle mounted policeperson) so it was a good thing our flight was delayed for 2 hours.

Ok, on to the tools. Until recently (new wheelchair, far fewer tools, a real improvement*) I carried a set of folding hex keys (like this: http://www.harborfreight.com/hand-to...set-94590.html - note that they're so cheap, you could have 2 sets, one in checked luggage, one in carry on). They're short, but the thingie they fold into provides extra leverage. Unfortunately it also looks like a Leatherman tool under X-ray, so I pretty much got 100% bag checks and just allowed time for it. I also keep them in a small separate bag which I pull out like my 3-1-1 bag to save them going through my regular bag. I also carry a short (under 7") reversible screwdriver and a couple of short double headed wrenches. The tire kit is a bicycle frame pump (fits in my carry on and I've never been asked to take it out), spare tube, patch kit and tire levers.

The hex keys are always examined, and frequently measured.

The screwdriver is sometimes measured.

Nothing has ever been confiscated except a double-headed wrench in TPE.

In the US, TSOs are aware that wheelchair users carry tools. I've seen a TSO pick up my bag, and call out "Whose wheelchair tools are these?"

So I'd say go for it.

*The new wheelchair is an Icon, and I am now traveling with the tire kit, two standalone hex keys (3mm & 4mm) and a shock pump. Four trips so far and nothing has been pulled from my carry on.

Last edited by Katja; Feb 11, 2013 at 7:58 am Reason: edited to correct length of screwdriver
Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:26 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
I carry tools, and lots of them. They are examined from time to time but they are not a problem.

For the hex wrenches go to a good tool store, Sears, Fastenall or even Snap-On ($$$) and they will have what you need. You are looking for a 1/4" hex driver (standard for screwdriver bits) and you want to get hex bits for the driver in the sizes you need. If you need more leverage than a screwdriver handle, you can get a small ratchet handle designed specifically for the 1/4" hex bits.

Here is what I have found to be the key and it makes no sense. As long as the individual pieces are less than 7", the length of the assembled tool does not seem to matter. My Schroder driver handle is 4.5". It has a 4" extension and the bits extend another 1/2". Add it all together and you get what you get. But none of the tools are 7" or more.

The handiest is the Schroder Handypac, #3.910.1. I got it from Sears by special order. If you need special sizes of hex drivers, just replace something that you will seldom use, maybe the torx drivers. The TSA never has said anything about this tool and I go through security about 70-80 times a year all over the USA.

I also carry a set of small sockets, locking pliers, an adjustable wrench and a plumbers key.

My complete tool ensemble is below. You can see the wrenches and drivers and such next to the coiled cables at the left hand side.

Yes, I carry this on.

All that said, anytime you take tools outside the USA, they are attractive items.

Old Feb 11, 2013, 10:27 am
Original Poster

Thank you! All of that helps immensely. I've sent all of this along to my spouse, as he is the tool purchaser in the household. Long ago, we made an agreement that he never has to sew on a button and I never have to touch any tools.

We always get secondary screening anyways and just plan in the extra time. I carry so many medications and pieces of equipment that that isn't going to change. We've had stupid stuff (used roll of duct tape?) stolen out of our checked bags before and so I pretty much assume that anything except for clothes has a good chance of disappearing.

Thanks again!
Old Feb 11, 2013, 10:50 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by Figgie
Thank you! All of that helps immensely. I've sent all of this along to my spouse, as he is the tool purchaser in the household. Long ago, we made an agreement that he never has to sew on a button and I never have to touch any tools.

We always get secondary screening anyways and just plan in the extra time. I carry so many medications and pieces of equipment that that isn't going to change. We've had stupid stuff (used roll of duct tape?) stolen out of our checked bags before and so I pretty much assume that anything except for clothes has a good chance of disappearing.

Thanks again!
Glad you got the answers you needed.

Hey, I used to know someone who went by the name Figgie online. Florida resident, loved Disney World... you wouldn't be she, by any chance, would you?
Old Feb 11, 2013, 5:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WillCAD
Glad you got the answers you needed.

Hey, I used to know someone who went by the name Figgie online. Florida resident, loved Disney World... you wouldn't be she, by any chance, would you?
Sorry! Not me, as I live in the frozen north aka Minnesota.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 1:35 pm
Original Poster

InkUnderNails, my spouse said to tell you that he was quite impressed with the picture of all of the tools you travel with and to thank you for posting it. He didn't have a crescent wrench short enough with a big enough opening (I am NOT a tool person) and when he saw your vise grips in the picture, he realized that a vise grip would work perfectly in place of a larger crescent wrench.

Of course, he doesn't have one that is quite short enough, but since he loves buying tools, that really isn't a negative in his mind. Oh well...I say nothing to him about his tool addiction and he says nothing to me about my Bundt pan addiction and we've made it 38 years so far.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 3:00 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
Please follow this thread in the disability forum

thanks!

Squeakr

co Mod TS/S

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.