Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Disabled Vet Flying United

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2012, 7:48 pm

Programs: DL GM, Marriott PP, Avis Something or other
If the VA says the dude is disabled, then he's disabled. Don't doubt it a bit. Was his service dog kicked? Don't know. Was his service dog wearing a vest when allegedly kicked? Don't know, but certainly was wearing one when that picture was taken on the plane.

The percentage of people who might embellish such a story is exactly the same in the military as it is in civilian life. Personally, I would have felt better about his story if he hadn't plugged his business so many times, but that's just me. He obviously had a difficult time with UA employees.

I sympathize with his difficulties, but some posters in this thread are completely ignorant of military and veteran issues and seem to believe everything they read on the internet. I haven't seen UA's side of this story...do they have one?

Last edited by dd992emo; Aug 2, 2012 at 8:46 pm
Old Aug 2, 2012, 9:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by dd992emo
If the VA says the dude is disabled, then he's disabled. Don't doubt it a bit. Was his service dog kicked? Don't know. Was his service dog wearing a vest when allegedly kicked? Don't know, but certainly was wearing one when that picture was taken on the plane.

The percentage of people who might embellish such a story is exactly the same in the military as it is in civilian life. Personally, I would have felt better about his story if he hadn't plugged his business so many times, but that's just me. He obviously had a difficult time with UA employees.

I sympathize with his difficulties, but some posters in this thread are completely ignorant of military and veteran issues and seem to believe everything they read on the internet. I haven't seen UA's side of this story...do they have one?
United does not deny that the incident happened. They are confirming whether the individuals involved are, in fact, United employees. Whether this gets them entirely out of the jam is, I suspect, another question (though not being an L & E attorney, I am loathe to speculate further -- it's just a gut feeling).

"We have spoken with Mr. Stanek and several United employees about the delays Mr. Stanek experienced and the assertions about the actions of our employees," Mary Ryan, spokesperson for United Airlines told Reduced Mobility Rights on Tuesday.

"We are not yet able to confirm whether all of the individuals he encountered were in fact employees of United, but we take Mr. Stanek's assertions seriously and continue our review and our discussions with him."

"So far, our only conversation with United Airlines has been with them to discuss what occurred," says Lindsey Stanek, co-founder and CEO of Paws and Stripes. "They told us they had 30 days to complete an investigation of the incident."
http://www.reducedmobility.eu/201207...legations.html

Meanwhile, the DoT has opened an investigation into the incident:

The US Department of Transportation has opened an investigation into disabled veteran Jim Stanek allegations of abuse and animal cruelty against United Airlines.

This is a developing story. Updated July 24, 20.54 GMT

Lindsey Stanek, CEO and Co-Founder of Paws and Stripes issued a statement on Sunday, saying that she received confirmation that the DoT is conducting an investigation into Jim Stanek complaint against United Airlines.
http://www.reducedmobility.eu/201207...-airlines.html

The Department of Transportation is investigating after an Albuquerque veteran said he and his service dog were mistreated by airline workers.

Read more: http://www.koat.com/news/new-mexico/...#ixzz22RsViyOP

Stanek said United Airlines responded to her husband's ordeal, saying they were launching their own investigation into the matter.

"She informed him that they had 30 days to investigate this investigation," Stanek said. "I also contacted the Department of Transportation and let them know what was happening."

Read more: http://www.koat.com/news/new-mexico/...#ixzz22RskALIk
Old Aug 2, 2012, 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by ysolde
United does not deny that the incident happened. They are confirming whether the individuals involved are, in fact, United employees.

http://www.reducedmobility.eu/201207...legations.html

Meanwhile, the DoT has opened an investigation into the incident:

http://www.reducedmobility.eu/201207...-airlines.html

The Department of Transportation is investigating after an Albuquerque veteran said he and his service dog were mistreated by airline workers.

Read more: http://www.koat.com/news/new-mexico/...#ixzz22RsViyOP

Stanek said United Airlines responded to her husband's ordeal, saying they were launching their own investigation into the matter.

"She informed him that they had 30 days to investigate this investigation," Stanek said. "I also contacted the Department of Transportation and let them know what was happening."

Read more: http://www.koat.com/news/new-mexico/...#ixzz22RskALIk
Understand UA has not denied it happened. Have they, though, confirmed it happened? I don't doubt the guy had issues with travel, though a very cursory glance at UA's schedule shows lots of ways to get from ORD to ABQ on a weekday. Not sure what the issue was with him, specifically.

The cynic in me says they mention their business way too much for me. Nearly all Wounded Warriors have done something noble at some point in their lives, but not all Wounded Warriors are nice, honest people.

Edit: Just read the KOAT story and it says frequently (and correctly IMO) Stanek "said" all this happened. I'm a little surprised other witnesses haven't spoken up, especially on the subject of UA employees randomly kicking a service dog.

One last thing..."I'm a disabled vet, let alone a disabled American, and we're supposed to have priority in getting us home," Stanek said. Huh? I'm a disabled vet and have never once thought an airline owed me any priority in getting me home or anywhere else.

Last edited by dd992emo; Aug 2, 2012 at 9:29 pm
Old Sep 1, 2012, 6:47 pm

It's been well over the 30 days Mr Stanek and his wife "gave" United to investigate this incident. I have sent 3 emails to their organization's website and received no reply. The cynic in me says they may have gotten some kind of settlement from UA which included a "shut up" clause, but that is pure speculation. If anyone has an update, I would be interested.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 2:51 pm

Received an email from Paws and Stripes today:

"United Airlines has concluded their investigation, stating that there is inconclusive evidence. We are still awaiting the decision of the DoT, and are seeking guidance on how to continue from here.
Most Sincerely,
The Paws and Stripes Team"
Old Sep 15, 2012, 9:56 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I think you and others are spot on. Many do not understand the "invisible" disabilities, and too many of us IMO are too quick to judge, or "sympathize" without empathy.

A good insight into what TBI (and in this case PTSD) can look and feel like can be seen in this video made by the USO of MSGT Mike Martinez deployed to Iraq 1990 / 2004.

Listen as MSGT Mike Martinez shares how traumatic brain injury (TBI) and post traumatic stress (PTS) have affected his life. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gRvo...feature=relmfu

(I am grateful to my friends and neighbors with different abilities who have been patient enough to answer questions and educate me bit by bit. But sometimes there are videos, etc. that can also help. I think in today's cost-cutting environment, airlines do not feel they have the resources to provide sufficient training to their passenger-facing employees to always do the right thing.)

Originally Posted by ysolde
Thank you, Dianne. Sometimes people need to take a step back. You are right on all counts: first, the gentleman served three tours of duty in Iraq. My gratitude to him on that score alone is immense. Second, the dog was clearly identified as a service dog while at the airport. Even had she not, I cannot imagine a circumstance (other than being attacked) when kicking a customer's dog is ever appropriate. This working dog may never be able to work again, which means all of the time, energy and money invested in her training (not to mention the bond between her and her owner) would have been destroyed, and for what?

Not all disabilities are visible and readily apparent. Calling a customer "retarded" is not something I can even begin to understand. The vet may have some neurological issues, but those United representatives? Something is missing from their hearts and souls, and that's a lot harder to fix . . .
Old Oct 29, 2012, 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by Dianne47
I'm going to be following this story, after all ABQ is my home airport. Mr. Stanek runs an organization that rescues dogs from the pound (AKA death sentence) and matches them with veterans, they train together. It's a truly noble cause and mission. Check out his organization's Facebook page and website - pawsandstripes.org - for updates and more information.
Dianne47,

I'm interested in where this story stands after 3 months. Since my email from P&S a month and a half ago I have sent them 4 more emails asking about status and received no reply. Just wondering if DOT or UA or anybody found out what really happened...
Old Oct 30, 2012, 12:52 am

Dianne47,

I'm interested in where this story stands after 3 months. Since my email from P&S a month and a half ago I have sent them 4 more emails asking about status and received no reply. Just wondering if DOT or UA or anybody found out what really happened...
Why would this guy want to answer questions from some busybody he doesn't know about what was a very upsetting experience, especially if there was some sort of settlement made?

Silence on his part is not an admission of falsehood in his tale.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by CDTraveler
Why would this guy want to answer questions from some busybody he doesn't know about what was a very upsetting experience, especially if there was some sort of settlement made?

Silence on his part is not an admission of falsehood in his tale.
Snarky name-calling aside, I get your point about the many reasons he might not want to answer questions. He did, though, put this alleged incident (and the attendant plugs for his business) on YouTube for the world to see.

I agree that silence on his part is an admission of nothing and don't believe I said or even implied that. I merely asked Dianne47, who said she would be keeping up with the story, if she knew the status. Sorry if I disturbed your Wa...
Old Oct 30, 2012, 4:00 pm

Snarky name-calling aside, I get your point about the many reasons he might not want to answer questions. He did, though, put this alleged incident (and the attendant plugs for his business) on YouTube for the world to see.

I agree that silence on his part is an admission of nothing and don't believe I said or even implied that. I merely asked Dianne47, who said she would be keeping up with the story, if she knew the status. Sorry if I disturbed your Wa...
You stated that you have sent the guy 5 emails, 4 of which were unanswered, and then you keep posting questions about the case in a public forum? You describe yourself as a "cynic" regarding his story and repeatedly question his motives because he mentioned his business? Your multiple posts sure look like you doubt every word he says, but you keep pushing the issue and claim you did not ascribe anything to his silence?

If the shoe fits ...
Old Oct 31, 2012, 3:42 pm

Take a Xanax or something...I'm just another faceless drone on an internet discussion board who happens to be interested in the outcome of a story someone else posted on the internet. I asked someone (else) if she had heard anything. As I said (and meant) before, I'm sorry if my interest disturbs your universe. The Ignore function is available to everyone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.