Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Disability Travel
Reload this Page >

Tipping the person that pushes the wheelchair

Tipping the person that pushes the wheelchair

Old Jan 29, 2012, 8:50 am

tipping for wheel chair pushers.

noted coments,re,customs regarding tips,any one know whats expected in Doha,i know australia frowns apon tipping,but not so the UK.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 2:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Originally Posted by Tony10s
Definitely tip of you can
There are wheelchair attendants staffed at airports who are not Airline Employees, but are independent contractors, who rely on tips.
If it was me, I would have tipped 10 bucks.
$10 for a 12 minute walk, I think NOT

seriously, what they do is not worth a $60 per hour clip.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by dhammer53
I had foot surgery last week. When I boarded my flight, I arranged to have a wheelchair meet me at the jetway to transfer me between gates at Denver.

I tippped the person $5.00. It was a 12 minute walk. Did I overtip? Undertip?
Should I not have tipped?

Edit. I should have known better. I just searched and found a couple of threads on this topic.

I think $5 is great! If you are wealthy, should have been more, but if not, great!
Old Mar 1, 2012, 5:06 pm

Programs: DL, UA, WN, Amtrak, Hyatt, Accor
For the guy who takes me from ticket counter through security and keeps an eye on my belongings while I get the full pat-down, then to the gate = $7. For the person who takes me from gatehouse to baggage claim (I can walk from there) = $5. I think $5 to $10 is an adequate tip in a medium-sized airport. $10 if the person assists with baggage claim and taking the luggage to the curb, because that takes more of their time.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
From check-in to lounge -- $10. From lounge to gate/seat -- $5-$7. From seat to baggage claim and to cab -- $15-$20. It's a tough, often thankless job, and I am so glad someone is there to help me. If my husband is there and doing part or most of the work, the tip may be reduced a bit.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 7:44 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by HiltonP
The world is a big place, make sure you know which country you are talking about. In some countries tipping is prohibited, in others it might even be viewed as an insult.
Originally Posted by sandmcampion
noted coments,re,customs regarding tips,any one know whats expected in Doha,i know australia frowns apon tipping,but not so the UK.
As already stated above, tipping, as in restaurants, is not universal. In some places, it's customary and expected; in some, it's neither expected nor customary; while in some others, it's officially frowned upon, but it's expected.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 12:26 am

I am a wheelchair pusher

As a wheelchair pusher at ORD for the past two years I know exactly how my fellow co-workers and I feel about tipping. It is mandatory. Yes, it is a customary service but we get paid very little and by that I mean below min. wage. The only difference between us and a waiter is that a waiter can ask for a tip, if we do it is against the law. Now I cannot speak for the whole airport but I work at the international terminal and we do alot for the people in our wheelchair. We get sent to a flight and wait there for a good 30 mins and then we pick up our passanger and have to wait in passport control which can take up to a hour. After that we are required to handle all of the baggage go through customs and take the person to their connection flight. Which we have to take them through security and to their gate. In all a connection takes anywhere from a hour to three.Than we have to go all the way back to our terminal and wait for our next chair. We are lucky if they just stay in chicago. But after all we do for people we still either get a thank you or sometimes three dollars.Yes it does feel good to help out people but after doing all you can to make things easier for someone you would expect a little more. So as for a honest tipping guide I would say $5-10 for a non-connection flight with two or less bags. $15 for three or more bags and no less than $20 for a connection flight. I'm sorry if I come off as rude but it gets a little bothersome when you are trying to save up for school and the tips are just not cutting it. So next time when you get assitance think about all that person has done for you and tip accordingly.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 8:26 am

Programs: United MP
Why don't you fight for better wages?
Old Aug 19, 2012, 11:59 am

It's an extra service just for you. Some call it a tip but I think it should be considered to be a payment. Some pay $500 for their plane ticket and then try to rationalize away the payment deverved by their wheelchair attendant. You can't afford $10? You are ducking out if you short the attendant.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by rmiller774
It's an extra service just for you. Some call it a tip but I think it should be considered to be a payment. Some pay $500 for their plane ticket and then try to rationalize away the payment deverved by their wheelchair attendant. You can't afford $10? You are ducking out if you short the attendant.
It is not an EXTRA service. It is a mandated service required by law. The people shorting the wheelchair attendants are their employers.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by DeafFlyer
It is not an EXTRA service. It is a mandated service required by law. The people shorting the wheelchair attendants are their employers.
Agreed. Extra services are optional. This is an accommodation for disability.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 7:24 pm

When my son was in college he worked part time at the airport pushing wheelchairs. He was not paid wages for this so his only income was tips.
I usually tip $5 for a short distance and $10 if I have to go thru security or customs.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 6:18 am

Originally Posted by 1parker
When my son was in college he worked part time at the airport pushing wheelchairs. He was not paid wages for this so his only income was tips.
I usually tip $5 for a short distance and $10 if I have to go thru security or customs.
In that case, I would tip, if I could. How would I know he is volunteering though?
Old Feb 15, 2013, 6:06 am

Originally Posted by 1parker
Is there not a law against a company employing people to do work, but not paying them for it?
What your son was doing was essentially charity.
Are the airport companies charities?
Old May 24, 2013, 8:08 pm

Programs: QFF
Question Wheelchair assistance in HNL

Apologies for bumping an old thread but I'm after current info

I'm headed to Hawaii next month with my son. As an Australian who has never been to the US I am completely lost regarding tipping

I have booked whelchair assistance with my airline from & to the gate.

What is expected in HNL in relation to tipping for this service?

I'll ask my colleagues for other tipping advice but thought you folk could help with the wheelchair one.

Many thanks in advance

Sue

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.