Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Disability Travel
Reload this Page >

car rental vs shuttle to airport- what's better for someone with limited mobility?

car rental vs shuttle to airport- what's better for someone with limited mobility?

Old Apr 17, 2011, 6:02 pm
Original Poster

Hi All

Sorry to be posting two topics in a day but my travel date is approaching and I realised I haven't worked out a lot of the logistics yet.

On our way back to Australia, we are spending a night at an LAX hotel. Our two options are:
1) return the rental car that night (the day before our flight back to Australia) and take the hotel shuttle bus the next day for our flight
2) keep it another day and return it when we go to the airport for our flight

Which option will be better for someone who can't lift/carry luggage or walk far? At the moment, I am thinking of going with option 1, so that we won't have to be dealing with luggages on top of having to return the car and walk or take the shuttle back to the airport terminal.

Thanks so much!
Old Apr 17, 2011, 8:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
If you rented from a major car rental firm, they are likely to drive you in the vehicle you rented (with luggage in back) to the terminal if you tell them you cannot do the shuttle. Call the day before and confirm they offer the option to someone who is disabled. Good luck

The shuttle idea that morning can work as well, the driver will load and unload the bags for you. He does get tipped for going usually.
Old Apr 18, 2011, 1:34 am
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your advice, GoingAway. I will be renting from one of the major companies (haven't made up my mind as to which one though) and didn't realise I could call and ask whether they would be willing to offer that option. What a good thing to know. Thank you!!
Old Apr 18, 2011, 10:59 am

+1 - I've taken advantage of that service many times. It's never occurred to me to call ahead - I just ask the agent in the car return lane, they radio someone who runs over and drives me to the terminal.
Old Apr 18, 2011, 6:11 pm

+1 again

I haven't experienced this often, but Hertz at LAX did this for us last time we were there. We were most impressed!
Old Apr 19, 2011, 12:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Adelaide_Matthew
+1 again

I haven't experienced this often, but Hertz at LAX did this for us last time we were there. We were most impressed!
Thanks, Katja and Adelaide_Matthew. You are all helping my trip so much easier on me.
Old Apr 22, 2011, 9:07 am

Programs: United MP
I've done this before too. They drove us to the terminal in the same car we rented. This was is St. Louis. They also brought the car to the terminal when I first rented it. Their shuttle buses were not accessible.
Old May 3, 2011, 1:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond
I would have your companion/spouse drop you at the hotel and then return the car the night before. The next day ask the hotel shuttle driver if he can arrange to drop you at curbside check-in rather than the usual location as the distance would be too far for you. If you are in a wheelchair you can ask the hotel to comp an accessible ride to the airport instead of their own complimentary shuttle if their shuttle does not have a lift of its own. The accessible taxi will drop you wherever you want. This would save you time the next day, parking at the hotel and an additional day of rental.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.