FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Disability Travel (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/disability-travel-224/)
-   -   Using cpap on-board flight (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/disability-travel/1042488-using-cpap-board-flight.html)

Pat89339 Apr 26, 2010 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by Yaatri (Post 13849160)
Some CPAPS/BiPaps raise the pressure incrementally to the level necessary to keep your airway open. If your airway opens at a pressure lower than your prescribed pressure, it stays there until it's necessary to increase it. That ensures that you don't get too much pressure, as there are disadvantages of using respiratory devices. Some also sense if you forget to breathe (central apnoea) and forces you to breath. Does your SOSA have significant CSA also? I don't think my insurance company will approve an expensive machine like yours unless I were being treated for CSA. But I might be wrong. I had seen $5000 machines but I never thought to ask for them.

I think you're right about your insurance company. My doc explained to me that my brain would stop sending the signal for me to breathe and that is why I had repeated episodes of CO2 poisoning. I would wake up with raging headaches but could breathe it out. I was just forcing in O2 to clear the CO2 out of my blood. These repeated episodes caused me to lose about 2 years of my memory, unfortunately. (Boy is it embarrassing to run into people I met during that period. They are total strangers to me and are somewhat confused when I don't have any memory of them at all. I had one of those re-meetings at an FT DO this weekend).

Yes my machine is also set to start inhaling for me if I fail to inhale within a set time (determined by my doc). When the machine starts inhalation, it controls the time of inhalation and automatically decreases the pressure for exhalation within a set time. As I mentioned previously my doc had to fight for my insurance company to cover the machine and I was stuck in the hospital for several days while they argued and then the DME provider had to find one and get it shipped here.

Originally Posted by Yaatri (Post 13849171)
Sorry, I wasn't making any judgment about people who forget to take their CPAP chord with them. This couple raised this issue 4 times over the course if 4 different meetings. It just irritated me.

Oh I didn't take it that way. I'm just saying that I had it happen to me. I guess it can happen to anyone. But I promise you that I check and recheck my bag before I leave the house with it. I also carry an extra oxygen bleed connector after a hotel maid broke mine and tried to hide it while on vacation in Australia last year and an extra nasal pillow (separate from the BiPap bag) after the TSA yanked out my tubing and mask from the bag and swabbed it all on a "random bag check" (that really ticked me off). I also carry a roll of medical tape in case I get a crack in the hoses or tubing.

James82 May 11, 2010 6:42 pm

Does anybody know what BA's policy is when people in WT require CPAP? Only WT+ and above have in seat power, is your only option to use a battery powered machine?

Alsacienne May 12, 2010 8:09 am

I have used BA in the past once for CPAP use in WT+ and all went well - 2006, but when I went to look for a journey in 2009 their T&C say that CPAP use is not allowed from the WT+ socket because the power drain is too great ... or words to that effect. I used a laptop supplementary battery in WT, and slept fine and the difference in the cost of the seats more than paid for my battery outlay. I got 5.5 hours use at 13 mB pressure.

I don't think that their power drain argument is actually valid but the fact that they state it in their T&C probably protect them if something happens when you use it for CPAP and can empower the cabin crew to stop you from doing so ....

Morland May 12, 2010 8:26 am

Originally Posted by Alsacienne (Post 13943650)
I have used BA in the past once for CPAP use in WT+ and all went well - 2006, but when I went to look for a journey in 2009 their T&C say that CPAP use is not allowed from the WT+ socket because the power drain is too great ... or words to that effect.

From the BA website:

CPAP machine
•Medical clearance is not required for the carriage or use of CPAP machines (used in the treatment of sleep apnoea) as fitness to travel will not be in doubt.
•CPAP machines can be plugged into a laptop power-point, where available, with a suitable adaptor.
•Maximum power output from the laptop points is 75 Watts and, if your equipment draws more than this, the outlet will be automatically deactivated.
•We cannot guarantee that any of the laptop points will be serviceable. If you intend to use one in flight, we recommend that you use a dry-cell battery-operated device.
So it looks like it might be worth knowing the wattage of your machine (and having documentation to prove it), and a copy of this policy. Sounds also like if the draw is more than 75w the outlet will shut down, so there wouldn't be a lot the cabin crew could do about it.

But to the original question, in WT you'll certainly need a battery.

Yaatri Jun 1, 2010 5:03 pm

Finally, DElta gets it. By God Delta gets it.

This is in continuation of the discussion FatManInNYC
have had earlier in the thread.
On my trip to Sydney, I was able to use my CPAP on board. No one at Delta had a clue. Even a supervisor in Delta interpretd the Final FAA letter to mean that if there is no sticker it will not be allowed. I told her that no CPAPs have any stickers although I do have a letter from the manufacturer that it hyas tested the device in compliance with FAA requirements and that it c0omplies with all FAA requirements and by law, Delta must allow me to use it on board. But she kep on singing the same song like a parrot. Finally she said I would have to have it aporoved by the ticket agent at the beginning of my trip as they were the onlt ones with the discretion to allow it on board. I reminded her "Madam, it's not at anyone's discretion to allow me my right. Delta must comply with thew law or face penalties. The suggestion to show it to the agent made no sense as I was going to Sydney from DCA via DTW-JFK-LAX. The ticket agent in DCA had no control over what the gate agent in in LAX would do. Then she made another stupid suggestion. "When you get to Los Angeles, you out of the secure area to see the ticket agent". I can't believe how stupoid she was and she was a supervisor.
I had called 2 days before my flight. She was supposed to call me back the enxt day. But I never got a call back.

At LAX, I asked a lady in the sku club. She called around and then told me that I need to speak to the gate agent, named Miss XXX./ Now, MS XXX was just as bright as the supervisor. She went to another guy at the next gate. He looked through the rules on his computer and acted confused. Due to heihgtened security, he announced, it would not be allowed. I showed him the Final letter from FAA. He homed in on the sticker clause. No sticker, no go. I didn;t give up. The CRO/Station manger was called, and another lady, I don;t know who joined in to sing the chorus of "no sticker, no go. I told the CRO to read the letter very careful, before saying "NO:, because if tyhey said "NO", they would be in violation of FEDERAL LAW, that allows me to use CPAP. It's for the airline to prove that it had a valid reason to deny it to me. Then they walked away from me and huddled together to discuss. I followed them. They told me I could not be with them.
I also told them that BA, Qantas, Continetal and United are the ones I know that allow a CPAP on board. I didn;t see why Delta was so ignorant.
They then talked to the crew and then asked me. "Do you have sleep apnoea?" Duuh. I just like to carry around m,y CPAP. So, I was allowed to use it on board.

Pat89339 Jun 2, 2010 1:55 am

This is exactly why I continue to give my business to UA. Overall, their treatment of passengers with medical equipment needs is stellar.

I also flew to Australia last week and despite the fact that I change my outbound and return flights twice, there was no confusion about them allowing me to use my equipment on board.

The Flight Attendants asked if there was anything they needed to know, so I told them the most important thing was that I needed water there for me anytime I woke up. On all flights they handed me a 1 liter bottle to start and every time I woke up it was full again. I swear that I must have drank 2.5 liters of water on the flight down.

sanhima Jun 3, 2010 4:54 pm

Does AA not know what a CPAP machine is?

(sorry if this is in the wrong forum, but I just got back from a week long trip where the following happened)

I use a CPAP machine due to hypopnea and had to travel this past week. I checked, double checked and triple checked with AA both on their site and by calling customer service to make sure this would not be a problem. It states right on their website that it does not count against the baggage limit. I even went as far as tossing my purse and just putting my wallet, cell phone and iPod touch with my laptop so that I would have just the two bags.

I thought it might have been an isolated incident, but apparently no one at AA knows what a CPAP machine is, nor do they care about the documentation you have from your doctor. Every supervisor argued with me that they couldn't let me on with my laptop bag and my CPAP bag because it would take up too much room (funny how both fit under the seat with no issues). Yet, they let people with huge oversized bags on and forced them into the overhead compartments like it was an everyday thing.

Please tell me that this is an isolated incident (though I find it hard to believe). This happened at STL, SJC and DFW.

Yaatri Jun 5, 2010 9:54 am

Originally Posted by sanhima (Post 14072225)
(sorry if this is in the wrong forum, but I just got back from a week long trip where the following happened)

I use a CPAP machine due to hypopnea and had to travel this past week. I checked, double checked and triple checked with AA both on their site and by calling customer service to make sure this would not be a problem. It states right on their website that it does not count against the baggage limit. I even went as far as tossing my purse and just putting my wallet, cell phone and iPod touch with my laptop so that I would have just the two bags.

I thought it might have been an isolated incident, but apparently no one at AA knows what a CPAP machine is, nor do they care about the documentation you have from your doctor. Every supervisor argued with me that they couldn't let me on with my laptop bag and my CPAP bag because it would take up too much room (funny how both fit under the seat with no issues). Yet, they let people with huge oversized bags on and forced them into the overhead compartments like it was an everyday thing.

Please tell me that this is an isolated incident (though I find it hard to believe). This happened at STL, SJC and DFW.

Not only are you allowed to bring your CPAP on baord, you are also allowed to use it. TSA and airlines cannot count your CPAP as an extr5a piece of luggage. It's in addition to whatever else you are limited to.
AA is not the only airline that's callously ignorant. DL did not know also. After presenting my arguments to a DL supervisor on the phone and to the gate agent in person, I was still denied. I had come prepared armed with an announcement from the manufacturer that my CPAP model had been tested and was found to be in compliance with FAA requirements and FAA issued "Final Letter" regarding use of CPAP and other medical devices. yet, the gate agent and the CRO at the airport treated my request as an attempt to foil their security policies. I told them that their policies must not be followed if they violate the law. Finally, the crew of my flight were consulted and ruled that CPAP's are, indeed allowed.

What kind of CPAP have you got? DON'T give up. Keep fighting.

flyingfran Jun 5, 2010 12:31 pm

I have been traveling with a CPap for three years, and we have logged about 150,000 miles in that time period. We generally fly with Delta, except for domestic carriers when we are in international locations.

I have never had a problem with my CPap either moving through security and only one small problem taking it on the plane. Everyone seemed familiar with them. I remove the CPap from the case, and security generally swabs it to check for explosives.

On our last trip a snippy flight attendant made a nasty comment about the CPap being placed under my seat rather than in the overhead compartment. Since the AVOD system was already under my seat there was not even room for my feet and my purse. I just smiled and told her that Delta policy required that she permit the CPap to remain where I had placed it.

That is the one and only time when anyone has said anything about my CPap. I am always prepared to defend my need to carry the CPap, but have almost no opportunity to use that defense.

sanhima Jun 6, 2010 1:10 am

It's a Respironics M Series Plus C-Flex CPAP Machine with humidifier chamber; the only other items in the bag (which says Respironics on the flap) were the hose, mask and an extra nasal mask, plus the power cord. It passed through the TSA inspection with flying colors. The TSA agent even chatted with me as I put all my items back in their respective bags, as his wife uses the same machine, did I feel better now that I was getting therapy, what kind of apnea did I have, etc.

Now if the TSA agents could recognize and not give me grief over it, why couldn't AA? I had my doctor's note outlining what it was I was carrying and that it could not be checked since it was a sensitive piece of equipment, as well as the letter from the TSA regarding medical equipment and people with disabilities (the one dated 2006).

The bag itself was half the size of my laptop bag, so it fit fine under my seat. In fact I was able to let to let it rest on top of my laptop case because the laptop case itself was flat enough. It's a very small and compact machine. It's also very expensive.

I'm just very frustrated and disgusted that an airline can treat their customers who have disabilities (and yes having any sort of apnea is a disability, albeit a hidden one) like they're no more than second class citizens. This is not the AA I flew five years ago.

ETA - I may have missed it, but if there is an executive customer service number I can contact someone at regarding this, I'd appreciate someone pointing me in that direction. The regular customer service people could care less that I had an issue. The best response so far has been "but you didn't lose anything, so what's the problem?" *sigh*

Yaatri Jun 6, 2010 6:52 am

Originally Posted by sanhima (Post 14084877)
It's a Respironics M Series Plus C-Flex CPAP Machine with humidifier chamber; the only other items in the bag (which says Respironics on the flap) were the hose, mask and an extra nasal mask, plus the power cord. It passed through the TSA inspection with flying colors. The TSA agent even chatted with me as I put all my items back in their respective bags, as his wife uses the same machine, did I feel better now that I was getting therapy, what kind of apnea did I have, etc.

Now if the TSA agents could recognize and not give me grief over it, why couldn't AA? I had my doctor's note outlining what it was I was carrying and that it could not be checked since it was a sensitive piece of equipment, as well as the letter from the TSA regarding medical equipment and people with disabilities (the one dated 2006).

The bag itself was half the size of my laptop bag, so it fit fine under my seat. In fact I was able to let to let it rest on top of my laptop case because the laptop case itself was flat enough. It's a very small and compact machine. It's also very expensive.

I'm just very frustrated and disgusted that an airline can treat their customers who have disabilities (and yes having any sort of apnea is a disability, albeit a hidden one) like they're no more than second class citizens. This is not the AA I flew five years ago.

ETA - I may have missed it, but if there is an executive customer service number I can contact someone at regarding this, I'd appreciate someone pointing me in that direction. The regular customer service people could care less that I had an issue. The best response so far has been "but you didn't lose anything, so what's the problem?" *sigh*

I know that one. I used it before switching on to my current machine. I know exactly what you are talking about. The type of machine and whether it's small or large is immaterial. The airline must allow you to carry your CPAP on board. I am sorry that I can't help ypu with the phone number as I don't fly AA anymore. MAybe people on AA forum here on FT can.
You should complain to FAA regarding the ariline failing to comply with the law that allows you to take your CPAP on board. Maybe the airline will pay attention when it's fined.
Call the airline's customer relations office and ask to speak to the (office of) director of operations, director of training or compliance resolution officer (CRO). It's possible that the CRO is aware but AA has not trained its employees about CPAP.

dtsm Jun 7, 2010 7:00 pm

Delta Airlines

No offense to OP but I always check ahead of time with the airlines before assuming cpap can be used on-board. If you go to Delta's website, under services for disabilities, you can download their pdf file (https://www.delta.com/planning_reser...ties/index.jsp).

Unfortunately, on page 6, it clearly says they do not permit on-board use of cpap:Certain battery-operated equipment, such as C-Pap and Bi-Pap machines, may not be used during a flight.

I am not defending them, in fact I think they're terribly unfriendly to us hose-heads. But the agents, supervisors, etc. were well within their right to deny your 'right' to use on-board.

As noted in my earlier post, when I flew JAL, I couldn't find anything on their website so called them. They were great. Asked for my model, it was in their approved list, and they were extremely courteous and helpful.

Some other airlines, e.g. Singapore Airlines permit use on-board if you bring your own battery pack. Others, like Cathay Pacific are much more lenient but do require you technically call ahead and inform them of your plans to use on-board (this comes from website).

At the end of the day, one needs to check ahead and not assume anything ;)

dtsm Jun 7, 2010 7:45 pm

For future reference, here is what I found on the aa.com website:

1.http://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInforma...false&from=Nav
Additional items that will be allowed above and beyond the restrictions listed above include:Assistive devices for passengers such as wheelchairs, walkers and CPAP machines

2.http://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInforma...AndDevices.jsp
Carry-On Assistive Devices
Canes, walkers, CPAP machines and other assistive devices capable of being collapsed small enough to fit into approved overhead and under seat stowage areas are welcome and do not count toward your carry-on item limit.

Assistance stowing carry-on baggage that meets baggage limits is available for customers with disabilities who request extra assistance. Due to storage limitations, some equipment or devices may have to be checked as baggage if it is not required during flight. All assistive devices must be packed separately from normal baggage to avoid baggage charges.

3. http://www.aa.com/pubcontent/jbax/in...thmedinfo.html
CPAP machine
*Medical clearance is not required for the carriage or use of CPAP machines (used in the treatment of sleep apnea) as fitness to travel will not be in doubt.
*CPAP machines can be plugged into a laptop power-point, where available, with a suitable adaptor.
*Maximum power output from the laptop points is 75 Watts and, if your equipment draws more than this, the outlet will be automatically deactivated.
*We cannot guarantee that any of the laptop points will be serviceable. If you intend to use one in flight, we recommend that you use a dry-cell battery-operated device.

Two points:

1. What is interesting for #3 is that it's British Airways content but on the aa.com website. According to AA customer service, this therefore applies only to BA and not AA.

2. Customer service says best thing to do is when booking, notify them ahead of time re cpap to avoid the problems posted here. And of course, print out the two pages cited above to wave in front of those 'smart ticket agents/supervisors, et al' :)

Slightly OT but here is Cathay Pacific's website re same topic (I mention only because they are also partners with AA):

http://www.cathaypacific.com/cpa/en_...0011d21c39____
# For Ventilator, respirator, CPAP machine and POC (Portable Oxygen Concentrator) we require advance notice up to 48 hours before the scheduled departure time of your intended flight.
# For any device without a manufacturer label stating that it complies with applicable FAA requirements for portable electronic medical devices, up to 2 weeks advance notice may be required. (Note: Only FAA approved devices will be accepted for flights to or from the US)

FatManInNYC Jun 26, 2010 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by Yaatri (Post 14059211)
This is in continuation of the discussion FatManInNYC
have had earlier in the thread.
On my trip to Sydney, I was able to use my CPAP on board. No one at Delta had a clue. Even a supervisor in Delta interpretd the Final FAA letter to mean that if there is no sticker it will not be allowed. ...

They then talked to the crew and then asked me. "Do you have sleep apnoea?" Duuh. I just like to carry around m,y CPAP. So, I was allowed to use it on board.

That advisory letter is so poorly worded that it begs a negative response. Using a CPAP seems, to the FA, to mean extra work for the crew (not the reality) so the odd phrasing is read as a prohibition.

Interesting to note that once you invoked the magic words "sleep apnea," the airline opened like Ali Babba's cave. I had a similar experience with United recently. The website advises that using a CPAP requires advance notice. I called and pretty much got radio silence from the CSR and her supervisor, until I suggested she put me through to the people who deal with oxygen requests.

"Oh, you mean the medical clearance desk?"

Once transferred to 800 825 6331 the process was very simple. The medical desk CSR asked for my itinerary and my CPAP model number. Two hours later she called back with my approval, and an assurance that everything would be ready. ^

dtsm Sep 26, 2010 6:21 am

Eva Airlines

Flying out on Eva Air this week, their website appears to require battery pak for cpap, even though biz class has power source to plug computer [and my ResMed]. Anyone with experience on their EWR to Taipei flights?

Apologies for duplicate post...hoping for a good night's sleep during my flight :)