Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Disability Travel
Reload this Page >

UA travel with a fractured foot?

Old Dec 2, 2009, 11:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA-1Kmm, AA-EX Plt mm-, Hilton Diamond,

I injured my foot with a minor fracture and I'm wearing one of those big ugly boots on it to help it heal. I'm fairly mobile on my own but a bit slow. I have 7 flights over the next two week including one connection in ORD & DEN and not knowing what the distance will be between gates I'm considering asking for a wheel chair for the connecting flights. Has anyone used this service before that can share with me what to expect? I'm also not sure if there is any cost or appropriate tipping.

I'm also wondering if UA will not allow me to sit in an exit row? My instinct tells me no but I'm curious if anyone else has done this. I'm confident I could still open the emergency exit if required to do so. I have of course already applied for upgrades.
Old Dec 2, 2009, 11:37 am

Programs: UA 1K, Starwood Plat, Star G, HH Diamond, Hertz 5*
Boot Travel

I have flown many segements with the boot! I had one on in Feb and another in Aug. I'm assuming you only have the boot and no electro stimulus patches inside the boot. Be prepared for TSA to say you must take it off and have it xrayed, you don't! They are supposed to wand you and swab the boot. I got in many discussion with TSA about not taking the boot off. I would also allow for extra time with TSA etc.

I sat in an exit row just fine with my boot. I'm not sure if I was allowed but the FA didn't say anything to me.
Old Dec 2, 2009, 11:38 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

I don't think someone with mobility issues should be seated in the emergency exit row.
Old Dec 2, 2009, 11:48 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Wheelchair service is definitely free but I have seen the employees accept tips after they drop a person off at the gate. I don't know if tipping is expected though. They are not airline employees.

I haven't used the wheelchair service myself but I have observed it.. you can have it added to your reservation and the wheelchair should be waiting for you planeside off to the side just outside the aircraft door when you arrive (assuming a wheelchair employee is available..otherwise you wait for them). From there they'll just wheel you right over to your next flight and can either drop you off at the gate or take you all the way down to the door of your next flight if you need it.
Old Dec 2, 2009, 12:06 pm

Programs: UA1k;HH Gold;MR Gold
I suggest a quick trip over to the Travel with Disabilities forum where all yourquestions have been answered.

I have been traveling utilizing a wheelchair since an accident in July. I ALWAYS tip the attendant . You can also ask them to stop so that you get coffee and stuff if you need to. I personally dont think you should sit in the exit row. My brace is not even visible at this point and I would not even consider it. Slow = (IMO) not ready and able. Southwest is real clear on this, if you preboard with a disability NO exit row. I have had no issues having wheelchairs ready and waiting for me.
Old Dec 2, 2009, 12:07 pm

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
There are several threads in the disability travel forum about wheelchairs and tipping, the general consensus seems to be to tip if the service is good, unless it would be a financial hardship to do so.

Here are a couple to get you started:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/disab...e-tipping.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/disab...etiquette.html
Old Dec 2, 2009, 12:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA-1Kmm, AA-EX Plt mm-, Hilton Diamond,
Thanks for all the speedy replies. Who knew FT had a whole section of the forum dedicated to this type of stuff! I love FT.
Old Dec 2, 2009, 12:34 pm

Location: IAD, and sometimes OMNI/PR. Currently: not far from IAD, but home will always be SAN (not far from the "touch my junk and I'll have you arrested" Memorial TSA Check Point) even if I'm not there so much these days.
Programs: UA, CO, Calcifer Award for Mad Haiku Skillz
I was wearing one of those lovely walking cast boots after I broke my ankle earlier this year. It was quite stylish--black velcro, padding, and metal (aluminum) and kind of lent a "Matrix" vibe. ; ) I was very mobile with mine, so YMMV.

I flew IAD-ORD-SAN a couple of times and PHX-ORD-IAD and had no problems, even when my IAD-ORD connection was close because of weather. I literally ran (carefully) between B and C to catch my flight and was concerned that I might slip on the somewhat slick floor. My only (minor) complaint was that the monitors showed that the plane would be leaving on time, when in fact, they held the plane for those of us who were on late connecting flights. I could have walked

I have a family member who is elderly and needs wheelchair assistance in the airport. She always tips the person. From what I've read elsewhere on FT, the chair pushers do expect tips and their level of pay reflects that.
Old Dec 2, 2009, 12:38 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Good suggestions to move this to the Disability forum. Please follow the discussion there. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, United forum.
Old Dec 2, 2009, 1:16 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by SFOisHome
I have flown many segements with the boot! I had one on in Feb and another in Aug. I'm assuming you only have the boot and no electro stimulus patches inside the boot. Be prepared for TSA to say you must take it off and have it xrayed, you don't! They are supposed to wand you and swab the boot. I got in many discussion with TSA about not taking the boot off. I would also allow for extra time with TSA etc.

I sat in an exit row just fine with my boot. I'm not sure if I was allowed but the FA didn't say anything to me.
i have experienced exactly the same thing when wearing "the frankenstein* boot". got into a major tiff with "the tsa folks" and it took the supe's supe (aka the tsa terminal mgr) to properly explain to the line staff that i was in the right.

as to the exit row, i always asked the f/a if it was ok for me to sit there and i was never asked to move (save for an op up from ps-c to ps-f ) tho ymmv and only a few times was i asked if i was "mobile enough" where i responded "yes" and that was it.

*that's fronkensteen
Old Dec 2, 2009, 3:36 pm

A couple of years ago I broke one foot and badly sprained the other-yep, totally unable to walk. Wheel chair service was a godsend going LAX-ORD. They even have a skinny little chair to get you on the plane. I sat in the front of E+. Call ahead and they will put the info in your record and the w/c folks will take care of it. As I recall, LAX had special w/c TSA screening area, too. Great service, and yes, tip them well-consider where you would be without them. Another service that my father used after knee surgery is the electric cart that takes people from gate to gate. Just call in advance with your request. Being unable to walk, I had the attendant come all the way out to the car to get me. Cell phone was key to making that one work.
Old Dec 2, 2009, 6:22 pm

Programs: DL, UA, WN, Amtrak, Hyatt, Accor
I hope you don't mind my very direct comment. It would be irresponsible to sit in an exit row wearing "the boot." You can't "maybe need a wheelchair" AND be an able-bodied person responsible for handling a 40-plus-pounds emergency door.

If I ever noticed a person with an orthopedic boot in an emergency row, I would raise a ruckus and make sure the person was re-seated. I've had several foot surgeries and have lots of experience wearing this type of boot, and traveling with same. When you're wearing one, you're definitely NOT in the able-bodied crowd.
Old Dec 2, 2009, 7:37 pm

Sorry.. +1 on the previous comment....

Sounds like a "Have cake AND eat it" kinda thing....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.