FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Disability Travel (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/disability-travel-224/)
-   -   Latest TSA Requirements for Knee Replacements, etc.? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/disability-travel/1021032-latest-tsa-requirements-knee-replacements-etc.html)

prspad Nov 26, 2009 12:45 pm

Latest TSA Requirements for Knee Replacements, etc.?

I had knee replacement surgery 2 months ago and will pass through TSA for the first time since then on an International flight in a week. Should I go through the regular check-through or just advise and go through the secondary screening process rather than doing so after setting off the magic twanger on the regular screening line? Thanks.

Katja Nov 26, 2009 5:01 pm

I hope you are recovering well after your surgery, and that you take it easy on your trip.

I don't have any artificial parts, but my understanding (and I'm sure if it's wrong others here will correct me!) that it's not inevitable that you will set off the WTMD. If you do, then you will need to be hand screened.

If it were me, I'd probably give the WTMD one chance.

Here's the party line on the subject: http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...al_1374.shtm#1

b1513 Nov 26, 2009 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by prspad (Post 12884413)
I had knee replacement surgery 2 months ago and will pass through TSA for the first time since then on an International flight in a week. Should I go through the regular check-through or just advise and go through the secondary screening process rather than doing so after setting off the magic twanger on the regular screening line? Thanks.

I know this isn't the same thing but my son has had spinal surgeries with rods, screws and cages and he doesn't set anything off.

Bobette

Harleycat Dec 18, 2009 9:37 am

Your knee will most likely set off the detector and you will have to go through a secondary. This is especially true since it's only been 2 months. It takes a while for the muscle to "grow back" (for lack of a better term).

I've had both hips replaced and I always get a secondary. My latest replacement was in 2007. I usually just advise and don't even bother with the detector.

On a side note, I'm having a knee replacement in Jan. What was the surgery like? How about the recovery time? My doc is using a fairly new procedure that involves me getting a CT scan ahead of time and a custom template is made. It's supposed to have less of an incision.

flyingfran Jan 6, 2010 10:54 pm

Both of my knees have been replaced. I have never gone through a screen that was not activated by my knees. I generally travel in a wheelchair. Whether I walk through the scanner is completely up to the individual airport. Some places ask me to walk through the scanner, even though I assure them that I will alert the scanner. In other airports, I by-pass the scanner and go directly to the pat-down area or the little machine that lets them see you without your clothing.

It is not a decision I ever make on my own.

Knee surgery is not as easy as hip surgery, but I felt better immediately after surgery than I did before receiving it. I would plan on about 4 months of discomfort. If you do your physical therapy faithfully you will recover more quickly than if you do not. I was out of bed 12 hours after both of my knee surgeries.

There are several appliances you can use post-surgery that help. One is a machine that automatically extends and retracts the leg. Another is a compression device that pumps cold water around your knee to reduce pain and swelling. With my second surgery I used the extension device almost all of the time when I was in bed. I thought my second recovery was easier, but it may have only been because I knew what to expect and what to do to speed my own recovery.

I can tell you that life post-surgery is significantly better than pre-surgery.

Harleycat Jan 8, 2010 8:33 am

Originally Posted by flyingfran (Post 13129843)
Both of my knees have been replaced. I have never gone through a screen that was not activated by my knees. I generally travel in a wheelchair. Whether I walk through the scanner is completely up to the individual airport. Some places ask me to walk through the scanner, even though I assure them that I will alert the scanner. In other airports, I by-pass the scanner and go directly to the pat-down area or the little machine that lets them see you without your clothing.

Knee surgery is not as easy as hip surgery, but I felt better immediately after surgery than I did before receiving it. I would plan on about 4 months of discomfort. If you do your physical therapy faithfully you will recover more quickly than if you do not. I was out of bed 12 hours after both of my knee surgeries.

There are several appliances you can use post-surgery that help. One is a machine that automatically extends and retracts the leg. Another is a compression device that pumps cold water around your knee to reduce pain and swelling. With my second surgery I used the extension device almost all of the time when I was in bed. I thought my second recovery was easier, but it may have only been because I knew what to expect and what to do to speed my own recovery.

Thanks for the info! I have the "ice machine". I got it after I had arthroscopic surgery on my knees and it really helped. My sis in law told me about the other machine. Can you use it in a recliner? I like to get out of bed and sit in a recliner when I'm home.

I'm terrible about PT. After 8 surgeries I just hate it and it shows in my lack of enthusiam. I refuse to do in patient rehab after a really bad experience in 2003. It actually was a big waste of time as there really wasn't anything they could teach me that I didn't already know.

One of the OT's said "how about I teach you how to get in and out of a car?" I said "how about I teach you how to get in and out of an F150 pickup?"

Hubby picked me up at the hospital after my last replacement. It was snowing so he and the security guard were helping me. The guard looked at the truck and said "she's never going to get in there". Hubby said "just watch her". I grabbed the handle, put my good leg on the running board and up I went.

sparksals Jan 13, 2010 12:09 am

Originally Posted by flyingfran (Post 13129843)

Just a disclaimer here. I realize knee surgery is more painful than hip surgery in terms of the recovery and learning range of motion, but lemmee tell you, hip replacement isn't a picnic. No competition over which surgery is easier, but I just want to say that your post implied that hip replacement is easy. It isn't.

I do agree life post op is great. I knew when I was alert from the surgery that I only had the pain of the surgery and the pre-surgery pain was gone.

Yaatri Feb 3, 2010 7:55 am

Now TSA is an authority on surgical procedures too?