Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

"American" food from a non-U.S. perspective?

"American" food from a non-U.S. perspective?

Old Jul 20, 2009, 11:14 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold, 1.5 Million Mile Flyer
Originally Posted by jackal

Please don't think that's normal American food!
But it is. Corned beef hash is on the menu of practically all breakfast restaurants. At least west of the Rockies. It's normally just minced corned beef and potatoes, it's delicious, and very common. I have met very few people who don't like it. (And it's nothing like scrapple)
Old Jul 20, 2009, 10:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Ah. Well, I'm not a fan of corned beef (too salty), so that might explain why I haven't eaten it. I haven't noticed it on any menus (at least along the west coast from California to Alaska), but then again, I've never been looking for it.

I guess it sounds less gross than I first thought--if it's just corned beef and potatoes with a few onions and things thrown in, I guess it can be considered normal!
Old Jul 20, 2009, 11:12 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, 1.5 Million Mile Flyer
Sorry to get (more) O/T, but the corned beef hash w/poached eggs at The Buena Vista Cafe near gate 82 at SFO is an excellent rendition and extremely popular in the morning hours.
Old Jul 21, 2009, 5:39 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Wirelessly posted (Nokia N97 / Palm TX: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; PalmSource/Palm-D050; Blazer/4.3) 16;320x448)

Originally Posted by caspritz78
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
- American steak houses (though very rare)

In most larger cities youd find American restaurants / restaurant chains in the yellow pages, e.g. "Louisiana" being one of the largest.
I agree. American steak houser are very rare. Argentinean steaks are more common in Germany. I also agree on Louisiana. Even if I'm not sure if it is real American food.
Do the Argentinian Steak places actually serve beef imported from down here...?

Wirelessly posted (Nokia N97 / Palm TX: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; PalmSource/Palm-D050; Blazer/4.3) 16;320x448)

In EZE, the only restaurant that is not a burger joint that the locals associate with US Cuisine would be a place called Kansas.

Originally Posted by braslvr
Sorry to get (more) O/T, but the corned beef hash w/poached eggs at The Buena Vista Cafe near gate 82 at SFO is an excellent rendition and extremely popular in the morning hours.
Do folks still make beef hash from leftovers or is this a myth...?!

Last edited by cblaisd; Jul 22, 2009 at 10:46 am Reason: Consolidated poster's three consecutive posts
Old Jul 21, 2009, 6:17 am
In memoriam

Programs: UA, US, AS, Marriott, Radisson, Hilton
I do.
Old Jul 21, 2009, 11:24 am

Programs: AA PLT/2MM/lifetime Admirals Club, UA lifetime United Club, DL lifetime Sky Club, MR Plat, Hertz PC
I think it's terrible that Applebee's and McDonald's are probably the largest ambassadors of American food. Processed foods? American cows being fed corn when they're supposed to be fed grass? High-fructose corn syrup? No thanks.

- An American
Old Jul 21, 2009, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
The question in the UK depends on who is answering it. To the general public, American food would not be a category as such, but would be understood as burgers and, possibly, KFC or hot dogs. Massive portions would then be mentioned. In this context, American would not be a compliment although often not an insult either. However, to the foodie population, people would lean towards California cuisine and the Alice Waters type food that is commonplace now on the West Coast and in New York. This lot would shudder at the "other" American food.
Old Jul 21, 2009, 6:16 pm

I should mention that in my earlier posts I mentioned McDonalds as "American" food - I say this because we don't have an abundant amount of genuine American foods described in this thread, like Biscuits & Gravy, Mac n Cheese (definitely something you'll find here, just not typically in a restaurant), fried green tomatoes etc.
We just don't have that stuff here (nothing common anyway).
Old Jul 22, 2009, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by Gaucho100K

Grandma BamaVol used to. Since she now cooks for one, a roast beef is an unlikely meal. I've done it. If I did it again, I might use "Simply Potatoes" to save a little time. I put my effort into the original meal, my leftover meals are pretty quick and easy.
Old Jul 22, 2009, 11:47 am

Programs: Miles&More Blue, SPG Silver
Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
Do the Argentinian Steak places actually serve beef imported from down here...?
Yes, they actually do and you can find Argentinian meat in better grocery stores, too. Maredo is a steak house chain here in Germany which mainly imports the beef from South America and especially from Argentina but also from Brazil.
Old Jul 22, 2009, 4:44 pm

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned a tradition Thanksgiving dinner! It's pretty ubiquitous across the US with a roast turkey(though for some ungodly reason some people choose to deep fry) and sides with some regional variation.
Old Jul 22, 2009, 5:11 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by wanderingviolet
...a roast turkey(though for some ungodly reason some people choose to deep fry)....
Just an fyi: if folks want to discuss THAT issue, let's do it here
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/dinin...ghlight=turkey

Thanks
Old Jul 22, 2009, 6:00 pm
sfo

Programs: UA MM *Gold, Accor Silver
There is a great American diner circa 1950's located in Berlin, it serves huge portions, reasonable, especially before 5pm, and has an outside seating area. Nollendorfplatz is the station stop, can't remember the name of the diner but is just across the street from the station, it sits on a corner.
Old Jul 22, 2009, 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by wanderingviolet
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned a tradition Thanksgiving dinner! It's pretty ubiquitous across the US with a roast turkey(though for some ungodly reason some people choose to deep fry) and sides with some regional variation.
I don't think it has been mentioned because its not really something done outside of the US, which is what this thread is about.
Old Jul 22, 2009, 9:38 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by obscure2k
Thanksgiving Day at Harry's Bar in Venice is always a big deal for many local affluent Venetians. I have enjoyed Thanksgiving dinner for several years at Harry's and it is a very traditional Thanksgiving feast, albeit, a lot better than my mother served. Always surprised to see the restaurant filled with mostly Venetians, looking for that great turkey dinner. Very few Americans. Then again, there aren't many American tourists in Venice in late November.
I was in VCE a couple years ago Thanksgiving and they seemed surprised we (Americans) would come on Thanksgiving Day. It was mainly Italian families, who were very friendly and treated us as their Thanksgiving mascots ^

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.