Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

"American" food from a non-U.S. perspective?

"American" food from a non-U.S. perspective?

Old Jul 11, 2009, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
What is American food exactly? I thought it was a big pot and all went into it.

I think their is Pizza Hut all over the world, that is distinctly american, NOT italian! It is a terrible place to eat, and it is a shame anyone would think it is italian. Even the 'spaghetti and meatballs' is american, not italian.

Basically american food is, take some part of the world's food, mix it with another part of world's food, and sometimes you come out with a great thing(some could argue spag and meatballs as such) and sometimes you end up with a terrible mess.
Old Jul 11, 2009, 3:14 pm

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Originally Posted by caspritz78
I agree. American steak houser are very rare. Argentinean steaks are more common in Germany. I also agree on Louisiana. Even if I'm not sure if it is real American food.
Frankfurt a/m seems to have a few "real" American style steakhouses. Probably because of the expat banker community.
Old Jul 11, 2009, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Apparently to the marketing folks at Wagner frozen Pizza in Germany, nothing says “Texas” more than mozzarella and pepperoni.

”Boston” means mozzarella, spinach, onions, and... almonds.
Old Jul 11, 2009, 11:30 pm

Originally Posted by falconea
In Australia there's no real concept of American food. Except McDonalds and their ilk.

Audrey
Originally Posted by jackal
I remember an Outback Steakhouse across from our motel in Campbelltown. Surely that qualifies as American food!
Originally Posted by Omnivore
I think Steak Places would qualify in Australia, Lone Star certainly bills itself as an American Steak House. Apart from that it'd be franchises that originated in the USA, and Hungry Jacks which is the Australian version of BK (legal stuff forced the name change)
Originally Posted by bensyd
What would be called Tex-Mex in America is called Mexican in Australia and would usually not be associated with America.

I think there's a Hooters in Parramatta although I don't usually venture that far west.
What you're all missing here is the answer to the actual question. Yes, we have these foods and yes they are American (or considered American) but if we're sitting at home thinking about eating at one of these places, we don't go "Lets go get some American"

If we were to go out and get some Indian, Chinese or etc - we'd most likely say "lets go get some Chinese" because the restaurant isn't exactly a big chain - like McDonalds or similar.
That, and you can't go to a restaurant here that is classed as American. McDonalds isn't billed as "McDonalds, American cuisine"
A Thai place would be "Onni's, Thai Cuisine" - so the naming convention doesn't work the same.
Old Jul 11, 2009, 11:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
Originally Posted by Synthetic
That, and you can't go to a restaurant here that is classed as American. McDonalds isn't billed as "McDonalds, American cuisine"
A Thai place would be "Onni's, Thai Cuisine" - so the naming convention doesn't work the same.
Micky D's is not cuisine, so they can't call it such
Old Jul 11, 2009, 11:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
I can think of dozens of restaurants in other countries where some menu items are either what I would consider modern american cuisine, or where some element of american cuisine has influenced a particular dish.

I view the increasing appearance of grilled fish with "California style" veggies and a baked potato for instance as an american inspired dish. Same with salads with a piece of chicken or fish thrown in and some types of steak or pizza.

However, going out specifically for American cuisine? The closest thing that comes to mind is people going out to american themed restaurants to emulate the experience of being in america, not necessarily to eat american food. I'll use the example of Pakistan, where brands like McDonalds, KFC, Pizza Hut, TGIF, etc are much more popular than their franchisee's ever thought they would be. Most Pakistanis are mono-paleted, refusing to eat any foreign cuisine other than Chinese and perhaps Thai (Nothing else is spicy enough!). However, the popularity of american restaurants has skyrocketed largely as a function of the desire of urbanites to emulate american life and culture, not particularly because they enjoy the food. I got an inkling of this in China recently, and certainly thought this was the case in Japan, Singapore and Hong Kong in the 80's.

Last edited by PhlyingRPh; Jul 12, 2009 at 2:50 am
Old Jul 12, 2009, 12:17 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Synthetic
...if we're sitting at home thinking about eating at one of these places, we don't go "Lets go get some American"
Thank you.

That was indeed the main point of my question.
Old Jul 12, 2009, 12:30 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK*G, EI Elite
Outside of the usual fast food joints, I guess the first concept that appeared in the UK, 20 years ago?, of an 'American' food restaurant was TGI Fridays; which is still here and still relatively successful. As mentioned above, other franchises (same food, different name on the door) have tried to establish themselves and quickly failed.

But in answer to the question; it's no. If you were going to suggest going to Fridays you'd say exactly that, not "How about American?"

We certainly have our fair share of faux American 50's style diners with the usual burgers, fries, melts, malts etc. and some of them, here in Ireland anyway, are pretty good.....and pretty expensive to boot!
Old Jul 12, 2009, 6:14 am

Programs: Southwest A-List, Alaska MVP
This one was in Leumeah, just a block west of the railway station.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...h&z=16&iwloc=A

We didn't eat there, choosing more often instead (well, three times throughout the week) to eat at the MUCH more authentically Australian Red Rooster. (Hey, it beats any chicken place in the U.S., including Chick-Fil-A! )
The one I saw must have been the Strathfield one, I can't believe there are three!

I like Red Rooster, especially the chips but Chick-Fil-A is better IMO.
Old Jul 13, 2009, 1:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by Omnivore
I like Red Rooster, especially the chips but Chick-Fil-A is better IMO.
Grass is always greener on the other side of the fence, I guess.

'Course, Chick-Fil-A is on green grass for me, since I have to travel thousands of miles to find one. I still like Red Rooster better!
Old Jul 13, 2009, 7:25 am

Programs: US CP, UA, HH Gold, Marriott Plat, DL, AA, CO, ++
Bahhh, Chick-Fil-A is over-rated [and ALL are closed on sundays]... There is one less than 2 miles from my place and I've never set foot in it.

Grass is always greener on the other side of the fence, I guess.

'Course, Chick-Fil-A is on green grass for me, since I have to travel thousands of miles to find one. I still like Red Rooster better!
As far as "American" food in other countries, there are plenty of American-style places in the UK (think TGI Friday's) but I've always found them to be overpriced, more like a novelty than mainstay. That's probably the reason why they have a hard time succeeding...

HTSC
Old Jul 13, 2009, 12:15 pm

burgers, buffalo wings, and steaks. think the local bar & grill
Old Jul 13, 2009, 12:15 pm

and mashed potatoes and meat loaf
Old Jul 13, 2009, 5:39 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, 1.5 Million Mile Flyer
and biscuits and gravy...
Old Jul 13, 2009, 6:07 pm

and steak and potatoes . . .

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.