Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Do you find you tip a larger amount when the restaurant has iDine/Restaurant Rewards?

Do you find you tip a larger amount when the restaurant has iDine/Restaurant Rewards?

Old Jun 8, 09, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL PM, UA Gold, WN A-List, HH DIA, Hyatt Disc, IHG Spire/AMB, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC

I was enjoying a sushi dinner with my better half last week and was about to tip 25% when the future Mrs. CMK10 stopped me and noted that the service had been pretty bad. She asked why I wasn't leaving a smaller tip to reflect this and I replied that I wanted the extra miles. She convinced me that it wasn't worth the extra 20 miles to reward poor service and it got me to wonder how many times in the past I haven't lessened my tip when service warranted it because I wanted the miles. Anyone else notice this?
Old Jun 9, 09, 7:40 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AA ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Titanium, IHG Spire/Ambassador
Originally Posted by CMK10 View Post
She convinced me that it wasn't worth the extra 20 miles to reward poor service ...
I agree with your Mrs.

If I get poor service, I'll only keep a tip higher if the bill borders (with in a $1 or 2) of a promo threshold.
Old Jun 9, 09, 9:28 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond
I totally agree with your wife.

I never reward poor service.
Old Jun 10, 09, 11:05 am

Programs: Priority Club Spire Elite.,Hilton,Rapid Rewards,AA
I don't ever reward poor service - the extra points aren't worth it, and maybe the server might get a hint from the bad tip.
Old Jun 10, 09, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
I never tip extra for any rewards program, I tip soley on service provided.

A few days ago I was at a nice brazilian resturant with excellent service, did not have to ask for any refills, glass never got less than 1/2 full. I tipped heavily, and typically when I tip I pay for my meal with CC but tip in CASH, unless I do not have any.

Less chance then of them not getting it properly, like happens sometimes with credit cards.
Old Jun 11, 09, 2:49 pm

I always tip strictly on the dining experience. The future Mrs.10 is a very smart woman.

Let's say that the miles are worth $.02. Tipping an extra $2.00 would get you $.40 worth of miles (assuming you're getting 10 miles/$). Not really a very good deal, IMO.

Take all of those extra dollars that you've been tipping for miles, save them up and then actually go to a restaurant that gives rewards and get the mileage as well a meal.
Old Jun 17, 09, 5:04 am

Programs: United GS 1K, MM; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Plat; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by wharvey View Post
I totally agree with your wife.

I never reward poor service.
Yes, I agree with your wife. I usually don't reward poor service if the reason of the poor service is really the server's fault. For example, sometimes food is slow due to issues in the kitchen so it wouldn't be fair (IMHO) to reduce a tip for situations that are not related to the service.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: