Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Your top Dim Sum Cart Restaurants around the World!

Your top Dim Sum Cart Restaurants around the World!

Old Jan 5, 2009, 9:03 am

Programs: BA OW Silver, Aegean *A Gold, Intercon Ambassador Gold, EY Gold
UK Dim sum

In my opinion, the best in London for Dim Sum are now:

Phoenix Palace on Glentworth Street near Baker Street
Royal China Putney, SW15
Plum Valley, Gerrard Street Chinatown.

In particular, the 1st two have few tourists and instead are mostly frequented by local asian families.

However, none of these restaurants operate a trolley service. The two in Chinatown London that do (New World and the other one on Gerrard Street) are of poor quality, in particular New World's thick Cheung Fun.

The only Dim Sum restaurant in the UK with a trolley service that I would recommend is Thai Woo in Manchester - a terrific place that is not only huge but very busy with the local Chinese community.
Old Jan 8, 2009, 5:26 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
As a Hong Konger I'd go for city hall, luk yu, or lin heung lau for the carting experience. ordering off the sheets is simply wrong (ok, luk yu does it too...) i wouldnt like anything from paper knowing how sick the ingredients is (pork fat is a must...) but seeing them is simply irresistable.

Pork liver 'siu mai'- yumyum!!
Old Jan 9, 2009, 11:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson
Originally Posted by kaka
Pork liver 'siu mai'- yumyum!!
^ I am salivating at the thought!
Old Jan 19, 2009, 9:00 pm

Programs: UA_MP, SPG
Originally Posted by luxury
Here is my list:

London, UK: Not cart service but Yauatcha is fantastic and is mid-priced for London standards. Royal China is Bayswater is quite large, decently priced, with food to match.

San Francisco: My favourite is Yank Sing -- both locations are excellent but the RinCon Center location weekends opens into the atrium of the building and is massive.

Singapore: Again not cart service but my two favourites are Jade in the Fullerton Hotel and Jiang Nan Chun in the Four Seasons. Both are top end restaurants and are quite intimate.

Bangkok: I am starting to see a pattern here -- no cart service, but the China House at The Oriental was excellent.

Toronto: Lai Wah Heen in the Metropolitan Hotel is fantastic. This is a high end Chinese restaurant with fantastic dim sum and alas no cart service.

Vancouver: Pink Pearl, Sun Sui Wah, and Happy Valley are my favourites in my hometown. Pink Pearl and Sun Sui Wah are huge, Happy Valley is much more intimate. Kirin also gets a lot of great reviews but I have not been in a long time.
Good list - thank you!
Old Jan 20, 2009, 6:26 am

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
The Kitchen-not so great

The Kitchen in Alhambra, CA. has gotten a lot of press over the past year-supposed to be great.
I must have caught them at a bad time as my"made to order"Dim Sum was stale-and it was pretty odd stuff IMO.
Might give it one more try-but won't make a special trip.
Old Jan 20, 2009, 7:40 am

I do like city hall in HK. There are some great places in Sheung Wan if you know where to look. They still do the cart style.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.