Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Your favorite cookbooks? Recommendations?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2008, 7:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...

What are your favorite cookbooks? I'm looking for some that contain fairly simple meals. Actually, meals that don't require a lot of prep time, or where the prep can be completed the night before.
Old Dec 7, 2008, 8:21 pm

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by kipper
What are your favorite cookbooks? I'm looking for some that contain fairly simple meals. Actually, meals that don't require a lot of prep time, or where the prep can be completed the night before.
"The Making of a Cook" by Madeline Kamman. There is a new version out as of 1997. The previous one is much older. Based on the first one I would say just get it. The first was a marvelous book.
Old Dec 8, 2008, 4:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
mrs. gleff's cookbook, Fine Dining Solutions: Weeknight Dinners

It's 22 healthy dinners that can be prepared in under an hour.
Old Dec 8, 2008, 4:42 am

then you MUST try Sandra Lee Semi-Homemade Cooking. Its a cook book for people who don't really want to cook. it uses ready made ingredients like canned food or frozen dinners and adds a little twist so you look like you made a fancy and yummy meal when it really took no time at all. Its my absolute favorite!!! its semi cooking. a real must!
Old Dec 8, 2008, 8:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gleff
mrs. gleff's cookbook, Fine Dining Solutions: Weeknight Dinners

It's 22 healthy dinners that can be prepared in under an hour.
That sounds like it's right up my alley for weeknights.
Originally Posted by sushibum
then you MUST try Sandra Lee Semi-Homemade Cooking. Its a cook book for people who don't really want to cook. it uses ready made ingredients like canned food or frozen dinners and adds a little twist so you look like you made a fancy and yummy meal when it really took no time at all. Its my absolute favorite!!! its semi cooking. a real must!
That could work too. It's not that I don't like to cook, or that I don't want to cook. The problem is that during the week, I get home half an hour before Mr. Kipper, if I'm lucky, and don't seem to have much time to cook anything.
Old Dec 8, 2008, 9:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
I think you would like Jamie's Dinners: The essential Family cookbook. It is very useful in that it gives recipes that are pretty flexible. For instance, he will give you a recipe for pesto, and then 4 ways to easily use the sauce. Some of the ingrediants might be hard to find depending on where you live/time of season, but a very straightforward cookbook.
Old Dec 9, 2008, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
I'll give the America's Test Kitchen Family Cookbook my vote. Full of great recipes and really helpful, practical advice.

Though not a cookbook, the book Heat by Bill Buford is also a good read and gives some insights and tips from the perspective of a guy who transforms from journalist to culinary apprentice. The last 1/4 or so of the book was kind of dull to me, but the first 3/4 was pretty riveting considering the subject matter.
Old Dec 9, 2008, 10:21 am
Suspended

Programs: United 1K, HHonors Gold, MR Gold
Rick Rodger's "On Rice". I'm not sure if it's still in print. It has dozens and dozens of simply to relatively simple recipes for toppings for rice. At least ten are in my regular repertoire. Almost all can be made in advance.

Also, given that this is a travel-oriented website, on my favourite things about the book is that a number of the recipes have an international flavour (i.e. are adaptations of dishes from a number of different countries in the world).
Old Dec 9, 2008, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by sushibum
Sorry, but I just threw up a little. Half her "recipes" take longer than if you'd just started from stratch. An all-time winner was her gingerbread cookie recipe that she started off with a package a sugar cookie mix (it was on HGTV last night). She added like 12 ingredients to a mix that probably contained what, flour sugar salt and levening? It would have been just as easy to use real ingredients. You should really read the labels of all that canned/packaged stuff before you use it, really amazing what junk they stuff in there.

To the question. Any time I want a good basic recipe for something I haven't made before I always turn to the old standby Joy of Cooking.
Old Dec 9, 2008, 12:43 pm

Question 60-minute Gourmet

Check out Pierre Franey's 60 Minute Gourmet.

Many good quick recipes in this book, along with recommendations for side dishes.

Another good one is Gourmet's In Short Order (although I like Pierre Franey's collection better...)
Old Dec 9, 2008, 4:38 pm

Programs: UA
While she can be annoying (and is over-saturated in the marketplace), Rachael Ray's 30 Minute Meals isn't that bad.

If you want to just read a cookbook to pass the time until the pizza guy arrives, I highly recommend Nigella Lawson's Feast. It's chatty and entertaining. Before making anything from it, however (especially in the US), check her website's errata for corrections. In the past couple of weeks I made the Honeybee Cake and the Chocolate Gingerbread and both were absolutely divine!
Old Dec 9, 2008, 5:12 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
I love me some Barefoot Contessa! And I like the Williams Sonoma cookbooks too.
Old Dec 9, 2008, 7:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Owlchick
While she can be annoying (and is over-saturated in the marketplace), Rachael Ray's 30 Minute Meals isn't that bad.

If you want to just read a cookbook to pass the time until the pizza guy arrives, I highly recommend Nigella Lawson's Feast. It's chatty and entertaining. Before making anything from it, however (especially in the US), check her website's errata for corrections. In the past couple of weeks I made the Honeybee Cake and the Chocolate Gingerbread and both were absolutely divine!
No, I need a few cookbooks because I'm getting tired of my usual dinners. Besides, the pizza guy doesn't deliver this far out into the wilderness.
Old Dec 9, 2008, 8:11 pm

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
No, I need a few cookbooks because I'm getting tired of my usual dinners. Besides, the pizza guy doesn't deliver this far out into the wilderness.
Really, try the Kamman one. It is an absolute classic. What is so interesting about it is that it doesnt just give recipes, it does do that, but it explains what is happening so that you can learn to think for yourself in cooking. It teaches the basic principles of cooking, not just a list of recipes.
Old Dec 9, 2008, 9:28 pm

I'm looking for some that contain fairly simple meals. Actually, meals that don't require a lot of prep time, or where the prep can be completed the night before.
Darn, so much for recommending Keller's The French Laundry Cookbook Though it is a beautiful book to read!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.