Wiki Posts
Search

Admit it if you've eaten American fast food overseas

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2017, 3:06 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by BamaVol
Wow. I can't imagine anything sweeter than the sauce Papa John's uses in the US.
Try Jollibee (although it's from the Philippines). Brown sugar on spaghetti, etc.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 6:42 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
I've done it, mostly to enjoy the local spin on things.

KFC in Tokyo
McDonalds in Nice

I've also eaten at every American fast-food chain present in India. Most of it was as a child, when I was hankering for American food, but the most recent of which was the Taco Bell when it opened in Bangalore.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 10:24 pm

Programs: WN A list, UA Gold, AA Gold, Marriott LT Gold, IHG Platinum, National EE, Hilton Diamond
Went to McDonalds in Paris after coming back from the Eiffel Tower late at night as that was the only thing that was open near our hotel.

Also ate at McDonalds near Wembley Stadium in London because we needed a quick bite and didn't have time for a sit down restaurant/pub.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 11:21 pm

This probably got raised earlier in the thread..... but it isn't actually POSSIBLE to eat "American" fast food anywhere else.....

The chain might have the same name...the burger/wrap whatever might too...but they are IME quite different.....for a start the ingredients will be different... sometimes subtly...sometimes radically.....

The only on-the-road eats that Ive found in the US that seem identical is Subway....
Old Jul 28, 2017, 8:36 am

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
Today, at McD's in Chamonix France.

Not cheap by any means, my burger+salad+beer meal was 12 Euro, but the bacon and blue cheese burger was unlike anything available back home. Except, of course, for the usual overcooked, highly processed tasting burger patty

Old Jul 28, 2017, 9:28 am

I am not a fan of fast food in general, and rarely eat McD or Burger King, no matter where i am. always found a good substitute.
With that said...who has been in the caribbean knows what a Carbbean KFC tastes like!!! And that is a must! Trust me!
Old Jul 28, 2017, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by cslewis
I am not a fan of fast food in general, and rarely eat McD or Burger King, no matter where i am. always found a good substitute.
With that said...who has been in the caribbean knows what a Carbbean KFC tastes like!!! And that is a must! Trust me!
Are you saying that Caribbean KFCs are worth a visit? One on my high street is absolutely dreadful.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 11:03 pm
formerly dave h.

Location: Seattle - it's not Hell, but you can SEA it from here!
Programs: SkyMiles, IHG nobody, HH nobody
the burgers at a few BK's in London actually tasted like they were grilled, like they're supposed to. unlike any state-side BK I've been too. and they're bigger.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 11:21 pm

Programs: TK M&S, LH MM, Global Entry, Hertz Gold, Sixt Platinum
After a whirlwind tour of Asia, with gigs in different countries every other day and the compulsory huge dinners of lovely local food with promoters every night for two weeks, I faked a stomach ache after the gig in HCM and 'retired' to the hotel.

I snuck out to the KFC across the road (crossing the road was an adventure in itself) and had French fries and a sandwich.

I don't even like KFC.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 10:59 pm

Programs: WN A list, UA Gold, AA Gold, Marriott LT Gold, IHG Platinum, National EE, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Dave737
the burgers at a few BK's in London actually tasted like they were grilled, like they're supposed to. unlike any state-side BK I've been too. and they're bigger.
They are grilled here too, on a conveyorized grill.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 9:12 am

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
This is what a $12 burger looks like at Switzerland McDonalds. This was a very tasty and very filling sandwich. I'm glad I ordered it with a green salad and not french fries, as that would have been way too much food.

Unlike the signature burger I had the week before in France, these burger patties tasted like those I would make at home. Still overcooked for my taste, but I guess all things considered, well done is probably best for a fast food burger.

Old Aug 7, 2017, 1:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by Putnik
They are grilled here too, on a conveyorized grill.
I believe it's called flame broiled.

Originally Posted by work2fly
This is what a $12 burger looks like at Switzerland McDonalds. This was a very tasty and very filling sandwich. I'm glad I ordered it with a green salad and not french fries, as that would have been way too much food.

Unlike the signature burger I had the week before in France, these burger patties tasted like those I would make at home. Still overcooked for my taste, but I guess all things considered, well done is probably best for a fast food burger.

I bet the one you were served wasn't that gorgeous, however.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Aug 9, 2017 at 6:51 am Reason: merge
Old Aug 7, 2017, 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by ILuvParis
I believe it's called flame broiled.
Correct, I worked in Burger King back in 2004, fun times.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 9:08 am

I had to make an emergency trip to the Middle East the other day and got in very late. Thought I was being smart by ordering a takeaway DQ hamburger from the airport instead of having to order room service upon arrival. Big mistake - got to my room, took a bite and almost wretched. Obviously some seriously bad meat being used.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I visited Lyons for a month during July, 1995. Three of the four weeks the city (and I) experienced a terrible heat wave. At the time, the only place in Lyons where one could get a beverage served with ice was McDonalds.

In 2012, I broke down and ate at the McDonald's across the street from the Assisi train station. Our train back to Rome was several hours late and I was very hungry but didn't want to stray too far from the platform.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.