Wiki Posts
Search

Admit it if you've eaten American fast food overseas

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2017, 6:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by VivoPerLei
Just out of curiosity, how much does a large Domino's pepperoni pizza cost where you are? At my local it's £17.99 (bit over $23). Seems excessive, especially when I can get better Italian pizza on my high street for about £7
$11.74 for a large hand tossed with pepperoni. Additional charge for delivery. Little Caesars is $5.55 for a large pepperoni hot and ready.
Old Jul 8, 2017, 7:30 am

Originally Posted by missydarlin
LapLap's post in the McD's thread prompted me to post this...

I remember being in Italy several years ago and almost disowned my brother for stepping foot in the Siena McDonalds. I couldn't imagine, with all the great food at our disposal, why he'd want to eat at McD's, but he wanted to see if the cheeseburger tasted the same.

Then there was the time that GoodKarmaGuy made us all stop so he could go into the KFC on the Ramblas in Barcelona. We were mortified, until we tried the croquetas he brought out... they were probably the best I had that trip.

Now, generally speaking, I don't seek it out, but I'm no longer horrified at the idea. Sometimes a girl needs to have a really large diet coke, and the best place to get that in Europe is at Mickey D's.

So I've had:

Pizza Hut in Paris (at the home of a Parisian Friend)
Starbucks in Paris
KFC in Barcelona (mmm croquetas)
McDonalds in Croatia (some sort of McGyro thing)

So.. do you darken the door of american fast food places while traveling abroad?

Do you order familiar items, or do you try the "local edition".
I just can't get over with Starbucks in Paris and McDonalds in London. Maybe just the place or the climate too. But definitely my favorite hang out.
Old Jul 8, 2017, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by uggboy
Strawberry Gloss...yum!

Cheers & Safe Travels!
^
Of course, you have to wait for the light in the window announcing hot donuts. Here they come fresh off the conveyor belt.

The raspberry filled was all I wanted it to be. The chocolate frosted tasted artificial. The presentation leaves a bit to be desired, would rather have the ceramic mug you get over there, but the coffee itself is fine.

All in all, not a wasted trip.
Attached Images    
Old Jul 8, 2017, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by uggboy
Maybe not burgers, but recently [May 2017] we enjoyed Krispy Kreme Doughnuts in Sunderland, UK...it was yummy!
If by some chance you happen to find yourself in Kaunas, Lithuania do not miss the chance to visit this historic place and sample the donuts. Best I've ever had

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Spurg...93819220688890
Old Jul 9, 2017, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Just out of curiosity, how much does a large Domino's pepperoni pizza cost where you are? At my local it's £17.99 (bit over $23). Seems excessive, especially when I can get better Italian pizza on my high street for about £7
A large dominos pie here in the states can be had for about 6 quid. I ordered one delivery when I was in Ashford last year. It was really bad and really expensive with crazy toppings.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 1:07 am

Originally Posted by enviroian
A large dominos pie here in the states can be had for about 6 quid. I ordered one delivery when I was in Ashford last year. It was really bad and really expensive with crazy toppings.
Domino's and Pizza Hut are notoriously bad here. It's seems like corporate just licenses the brand name to whoever wants it, takes their cut, and that's the end of their involvement.

Totally off topic, but I found the same thing when dealing with a Hertz franchisee in North Dakota one time. Had a problem and was told "Oh, we're not really Hertz, we just pay them for the branding." Uh, okay...
Old Jul 10, 2017, 9:28 am

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
Pizza Hut in Lyon, France.

We had taken a road trip to Chamonix for the day, arriving back late with two tired kids. Pizza Hut, takeout only, was next to our apartment.

A pepperoni pie for the kids, and a mixed fromage pie for my wife and I. No wine so had to make do with a few 1664s.

It was OK, and probably better than the crappy Pizza Hut we get in the US, but I'm hopeful that was the first and last Pizza Hut I have in France...
Old Jul 10, 2017, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Here (NorCal) Delivery and carryout prices near me are hugely different, and menu prices and coupons are hugely different. They've had a $7.99 special on large pizzas for carryout for a long while (call it $10 with tax and a small tip, whereas the best coupon for a large is usually around $15 -- add the $4 delivery fee and tax and we're at around $21 before tip, add another $3 for tip and we're basically $24.

A $14 spread for delivery seems... crazy... although they're far and away the quickest delivery around here, and open really late by local standards (midnight weekdays, 1AM on weekends.)

The local place with much better pizza doesn't have a delivery charge and comes to essentially the same amount with tip for delivery, but stops taking orders whenever their backup would put the delivery at the 10PM closing time -- often as early as 8:30.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Domino's and Pizza Hut are notoriously bad here. It's seems like corporate just licenses the brand name to whoever wants it, takes their cut, and that's the end of their involvement
Overall it seems like just the concept of pizza delivery is a novelty and definitely not an assumed service like just about every pizzeria in every US city. Sure, I bet they fare well in London but otherwise it's just a big deal to get a pie delivered there and way overpriced.

On the other hand your Pizza Express chain are pretty good individual pies. I'd like to say they compare to CPK here in the states.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 12:54 pm

On the other hand your Pizza Express chain are pretty good individual pies. I'd like to say they compare to CPK here in the states.
As far as the local chains go, we think Zaza is far and away the best.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As far as the local chains go, we think Zaza is far and away the best.
I'll have to check them out. Are they new? I'll have to see if they have any Kent locations.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 1:44 pm

I'll have to check them out. Are they new? I'll have to see if they have any Kent locations.
Just looked and it would appear there aren't as many branches as I had thought. I thought they were more widespread
Old Jul 12, 2017, 10:06 am

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
With franchised pizza restaurants like Domino's and Pizza Hut in the US you've got to look at what the coupons/specials/deals are. The regular menu prices are high, like $18 for a large pie, plus tax and delivery fee and tip (if delivered). But there are always coupons and deals available that cut the price down by as much as half on selected items and combos. "Never pay even close to full price," is my rule with these places.

While we're on the subject of pizza chains.... I have eaten Papa John's pizza overseas a few times. Once was in Mexico when I was looking for inexpensive food at a travel oasis after a long day and the choices were PJ's, McDonald's, or prepackaged crap at the gas station convenience store. I sat down with my pizza and two cans of beer from the c-store at a picnic table next to the parking lot, and it was good. The other time was in South Korea when my local colleagues surprised me with it for lunch one day thinking it would remind me of home. It did-- except that Koreans put things on pizza that Americans would not expect. Like corn. So it was both a reminder of home and a reminder of cultural differences.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 10:23 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by darthbimmer
The other time was in South Korea when my local colleagues surprised me with it for lunch one day thinking it would remind me of home. It did-- except that Koreans put things on pizza that Americans would not expect. Like corn. So it was both a reminder of home and a reminder of cultural differences.
I like corn on pizza, but not a fan of the pizza sauce i've had in Korea - too sweet. Also, never again will I have mayo on a pizza. Too much mayo on everything in Korea these days...
Old Jul 12, 2017, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gobluetwo
I like corn on pizza, but not a fan of the pizza sauce i've had in Korea - too sweet. Also, never again will I have mayo on a pizza. Too much mayo on everything in Korea these days...
Wow. I can't imagine anything sweeter than the sauce Papa John's uses in the US.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.