Reload this Page >

Admit it if you've eaten American fast food overseas

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Admit it if you've eaten American fast food overseas

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2008, 7:16 pm

On the flip-side of the OP's question - I once had a fast-food Japanese chicken terriyaki rice bowl in Phoenix
Old Sep 30, 2008, 7:20 pm

Programs: AA Platinum LT Marriott Titanium Platinum LT, Hertz Presidents Circle, National EC,
I ate at a McDonalds in New Zealand. Had a Kiwiburger which was yooped with a big beet slice. Actually very tasty.
Old Sep 30, 2008, 7:20 pm

I have visited a McDonald's in almost every country in Europe that I have stayed. Mostly for the bathrooms but sometimes just to have a Coke with ICE. I loved the Euro meal in Ireland and it was a cute takeoff on the Dollar Value Meal in the States.

The best fast food I have ever eaten was in Seoul in the shopping area of Itewan. Nothing quite like ordering a Wendy's burger and a local beer!
Old Sep 30, 2008, 7:22 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, HHonors, Amex MR; Browns, Cavs, Indians, and Buckeyes Season Ticket Holder
Originally Posted by IrishRed
I've eaten McD's in Amsterdam and Ireland, too...but those were more hangover remedy situations where it was the only thing I thought I could keep down...
Originally Posted by jadedinsider
For some stupid reason, a McDonald's cheeseburger has always been my hangover food regardless of the country that I am in, lol. Sick I know !!!
and i thought i was the only one...greasy food (McDs or BK, usually) and a coke/diet coke...2 things that seem to be the worse for a hangover fried, greasy food, and caffeine...
Old Sep 30, 2008, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Once, at the FRA airport on my return to the US on my first trip outside the US. I was so jetlagged I didn't care. I had a cheeseburger for lunch at McDs, then made it to the hotel and passed out exhausted.
Old Sep 30, 2008, 7:45 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 100k
I am neither proud nor ashmaed to report that I have eated a #1 Meal with Diet Coke in at least 20 countries. The worst were at LHR (lettuce rationing) and IAD (just awful), but apart from that generally very high standard.

I love chinese food. But after a couple of weeks in China I'm ready for McD or KFC.

And when traveling, and tired, a quick Big Mac and straight to bed is often a better option that taking time to eat more enjoyale food. Speed and predictability have their place.
Old Sep 30, 2008, 8:08 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
If Starbucks counts than I am guilty.In Europe I had my drip coffee every morning from Starbucks.I am not a Starbucks fan but I need a large cup of drip or french press coffee every morning and most of the places in Spain and Germany seemed to only make espresso drinks.
Old Sep 30, 2008, 9:10 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
In Italy I bought a Coke Light at a McDonalds because I wanted to use the bathroom and I was thursty.
Old Sep 30, 2008, 9:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Egg McMuffin in SOU on my recent trip through. But it was the good, British-style thick cut of bacon and really quite good. Also, it was only 2GBP, which was nice. Certainly the other meals we had there were generally better, but we knew exactly what we were going to get and how long it would take, both of which were important at the time.

In general I'll go for street food over the US-based fare (or just about anything else) when I can, but it isn't always viable.
Old Sep 30, 2008, 9:30 pm

Programs: SPG & CO Plat.
Let's see:

Burger King at Schipol Airport (AMS), too many times.

McD's in AMS - some croquette burger ^ - and HKG (Kowloon) - chicken something, nothing special. ETA: Also one in Milan near the Piazza Duca D’Aosta, breakfast, IIRC, nothing unusual ... and yet another in Tokyo - bfast was some variation on a McMuffin, but we were scolded by the cashier for not being civilized enough to use the bill/change tray when paying her.

KFC: Bali. Standard fare.

Shakey's Pizza: Tokyo - Pepperoni pizza that tasted life fish.

Starbucks: Beijing.

I genuinely don't crave American fast food overseas, too interested in sampling the local artery cloggers, ie FEBO in AMS

Last edited by FatManInNYC; Oct 1, 2008 at 3:18 am
Old Sep 30, 2008, 9:35 pm

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
The flip side is "have you traveled with a 12 yo and managed to avoid it?". I didn't.
Old Sep 30, 2008, 9:43 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Originally Posted by dgwright99
I love chinese food. But after a couple of weeks in China I'm ready for McD or KFC.
Also, access to "good" food can be cumbersome for solo travelers in some countries.
Old Sep 30, 2008, 9:47 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, IHG Spire Amb
I was on one of those youth trips to Israel when I was 16. I was in Eilat and roaming the marina area and found this great ice cream shop. Looked like a nice local Israeli place. They had the richest, creamiest ice cream I'd ever eaten. Ate there 3 times. They had all these falvors with cool names in hebrew.

Imagine my surprise when a few year later I first found the same company in the US!
It was... Ben and Jerry's

No lie.
Old Sep 30, 2008, 9:53 pm

Programs: Skyteam
You have to try KFC in Korea. It's not like the greasy chicken in the US.
Old Sep 30, 2008, 9:55 pm

McD's in Germany so we could get a beer which you can't do in the US. We bought 1 order of fries and 5 beers for all of us.

Oh, BK in Germany of France, I'm not sure which.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.