Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

OH MY GOD !!! Jamon Iberico Pata Negra !!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OH MY GOD !!! Jamon Iberico Pata Negra !!!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2008, 8:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLAT, Marriott Titanium/LT PLAT
ooops....double post....
Old Aug 24, 2008, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by anaggie
^^^^^

All I have got to say is WOW !!!

I just tasted ONE slice and ended up buying 1/2 a pound at $185/lb. This stuff just melts in your mouth and you cannot stop eating.

Is there anyplace online that sells it cheaper? Just a bit?

The place I bought it will ship but shipping is extra.

thanks
Thanks for making me salivate...now I'll have to go try and find some, and this being LA, I will probably actually find it and blow way too much $$$ on it. I can hear my wife now..."you and your ham can just go sleep on the couch tonight, if you love it that much." (She wouldn't be that jealous but she is that funny.)
Old Aug 26, 2008, 1:32 am

Programs: Mile-High Club, Marriott Plt, SPG P-75, PC Plt, Hyatt Dia, Carlson Gold, BW Dia
Pata Negra has joined wagyu beef and beluga caviar in having gotten a bit too big for its britches, in my opinion. While one is certain to have a very pleasurable experience with Pata Negra, there are many producers of delicious Spanish hams that sacrifice little or no taste in exchange for a dramatic reduction in price. It just requires shopping around. In Spain I was given a blind tasting by a very opinionated old tavern owner of various grades of serrano ham and the primo, acorn-fed, pata negra with the pedicured toenails, etc., and I have since been convinced that the expensive stuff is overrated.
Old Aug 26, 2008, 2:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jazzop
Pata Negra has joined wagyu beef and beluga caviar in having gotten a bit too big for its britches, in my opinion. While one is certain to have a very pleasurable experience with Pata Negra, there are many producers of delicious Spanish hams that sacrifice little or no taste in exchange for a dramatic reduction in price. It just requires shopping around. In Spain I was given a blind tasting by a very opinionated old tavern owner of various grades of serrano ham and the primo, acorn-fed, pata negra with the pedicured toenails, etc., and I have since been convinced that the expensive stuff is overrated.
Or, it could just be that you prefer some of the serrano ham you've had. Many people do.

There's a LOT of variation in Spanish hams, even within each DOC'd variety. So many variables affect the taste and make each region, and each producer within each region,'s product have a unique flavour, yet it's all homogeneous for so many of you (and explains the tenacity in clinging to the 'pata negra' misnomer already discarded by experts in Spain).

Where was this tavern owner? Was the acorn fed ham you tried there locally sourced? A tavern owner in the mountains of Huelva or Castilla y León would have a different perspective to one in the heart of Malaga or Barcelona. Your post alas gives not even a token nod to the efforts and expertise in producing and curing the ham nor of the geography. You might as well say "I had one of Spain's primo sherries, but now I'm convinced it was overrated as I preferred the wine".
Old Aug 26, 2008, 9:03 pm

Programs: Mile-High Club, Marriott Plt, SPG P-75, PC Plt, Hyatt Dia, Carlson Gold, BW Dia
Originally Posted by LapLap
Or, it could just be that you prefer some of the serrano ham you've had. Many people do.

There's a LOT of variation in Spanish hams, even within each DOC'd variety. So many variables affect the taste and make each region, and each producer within each region,'s product have a unique flavour, yet it's all homogeneous for so many of you (and explains the tenacity in clinging to the 'pata negra' misnomer already discarded by experts in Spain).

Where was this tavern owner? Was the acorn fed ham you tried there locally sourced? A tavern owner in the mountains of Huelva or Castilla y León would have a different perspective to one in the heart of Malaga or Barcelona. Your post alas gives not even a token nod to the efforts and expertise in producing and curing the ham nor of the geography. You might as well say "I had one of Spain's primo sherries, but now I'm convinced it was overrated as I preferred the wine".
I get the impression that you are trying to argue against me, although your underlying message is essentially the same as mine.

I have no idea what the various hams that I tried were specifically called, or from whence they came, as this was several years ago. The tavern was in the Sacromonte neighborhood of Granada; I do not recall its name.

You are trivially correct that I, like other people, prefer certain things over other things. Astute observation.
Old Aug 27, 2008, 5:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jazzop
I have no idea what the various hams that I tried were specifically called, or from whence they came, as this was several years ago. The tavern was in the Sacromonte neighborhood of Granada; I do not recall its name.
(I'll ignore the rest of your post)

It's very likely that you tried the local ham: http://www.jamones-granadinos.com/ja...ericos_eng.htm
Opinionated tavern owners in Spain are almost invariably convinced that the produce made locally is the best in the country, which means 'the entire world'.

Jamon Granadino is well regarded by connoisseurs but is not widely regarded as being amongst the best. Nevertheless, it has some strong tasting characteristics that give it its own legion of admirers and fans.

If you were very lucky you might have been given some Ham from nearby Trevélez (also in Granada), air cured and some of the sweetest Spanish ham available - something to do with the high altitudes. It would be quite a jump from this to the Jamon Iberico discussed on this thread.

Last edited by LapLap; Aug 27, 2008 at 5:57 am
Old Aug 27, 2008, 1:37 pm

Programs: BA Gold · A3 Gold · DL Gold · VY apologist
I enjoyed a big sandwich of jamon de bellota 5J today, made the proper way with tomate on still-warm pa de coca. One of the best meals in the world. With a glass of wine, it came to seven Euros.

The other poster is correct that it really doesn't matter what color feet the pig had; it's what they were fed that makes the difference, and acorns are the best. The good stuff is also best when it's cut properly - paper-thin, with a knife - and not run through some motorized contraption.

A couple of months ago, Ibericus opened a shop near my house - they have about 30 different varieties lined up, ready for the trying and buying. I've been by, but haven't been inside yet. I think I need to go and take some photos to make everyone here jealous.
Old Aug 31, 2008, 2:43 am

Programs: AA EXP
Oh yeah

Every monday I stop by this small Spanish imported food goods store called Despana on Broome in NYC for .33 pounds of Iberico, but when they have the Bellota in, I just can't resist.. It's an expensive habit

Also ever time I'm in Paris, I stop by the food court at Le Bon Marche for some Bellota...
Old Aug 31, 2008, 6:16 pm

Programs: UA Plat, AS MVP, HH Gold, MR Gold
Iberico has been on my list to try when in a foreign country for some time. I finally enjoyed some in SGN in July...amazing (even at 250,000 dong for 50g).

However, I've been under the impression that true Iberico is simply dried, neither cooked nor cured, and thus was illegal to import or sell in the US. (This would be the same set of misguided regulations that require cheese to use pasteurized milk.) Am I mistaken?
Old Aug 31, 2008, 6:19 pm
Original Poster

KICK A** !!!!!

I just a DHL tracking frommy Spanish supplier that he shipped 2 KILOS of Jamon Ibericao de Bellota from Valencia for free.

loving it !!!
Old Aug 31, 2008, 7:11 pm

Programs: BA Gold · A3 Gold · DL Gold · VY apologist
Originally Posted by PVDProf
However, I've been under the impression that true Iberico is simply dried, neither cooked nor cured, and thus was illegal to import or sell in the US. (This would be the same set of misguided regulations that require cheese to use pasteurized milk.) Am I mistaken?
Yes, quite.

Jamón Ibérico is cured, between 2 and 3 years. The best quality ("de bellota") jamón comes from pigs that are allowed to roam free-range and feed primarily on acorns. It's always cured at least 3 years. Lesser-quality jamón Ibérico comes from pigs that are fed grain and is usually cured for a shorter time.

The term "pata negra" originally came from the fact that the pigs were one specific breed that were black in color. Pata negra = black leg, meaning the jamón is the (back) leg of a black pig (note: jamón made from the front leg isn't called jamón at all, but paleta). Nowadays, I know they don't have to be purebred black Iberian pigs, but I'm not sure what the rules are.

This is all distinct from, for example, Jamón serrano, which comes from a different breed of pig, which happens to be white, and is also quite good.

Jamón Ibérico has been legally imported into the US since last year. The de bellota I don't think has arrived yet because the first ones cured in the USDA-approved facility won't be finished until sometime this year.

Edited to add: it's available now: http://www.deandeluca.com/butcher-sh...e-bellota.aspx
Old Aug 31, 2008, 7:36 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by PVDProf
(This would be the same set of misguided regulations that require cheese to use pasteurized milk.) Am I mistaken?
Indeed. If you want great non-pasteurized cheese, check out:

www.cheese-online.com
Old Sep 1, 2008, 8:02 am

Programs: UA Plat, AS MVP, HH Gold, MR Gold
Originally Posted by alanw
Yes, quite.
Yummm. Being wrong is making me hungry.
Old Sep 1, 2008, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by alanw
Nowadays, I know they don't have to be purebred black Iberian pigs, but I'm not sure what the rules are.
It doesn't seem to be clear at all.

The regulations governing the types of iberico ham are spelled out in this royal decree from 2001
http://www.boe.es/g/es/bases_datos/d...&id=2001/19120

A modification to this decree was issued in 2003
http://www.boe.es/g/es/bases_datos/d...&id=2003/02613

All it does is mention that no ham can be sold under the label of 'pata negra' that doesn't conform to the current norms, without mention of what those norms are. Just to highlight, again, that not all iberico ham comes from pata negra pigs, "retinto" is also mentioned as a protected name/label for iberico ham and these aren't pata negra.

My mother says that she remembers when people used to paint the pigs' nails to get a higher price from those who equated 'pata negra' with quality but didn't know much more.

I just a DHL tracking frommy Spanish supplier that he shipped 2 KILOS of Jamon Ibericao de Bellota from Valencia for free.
From Valencia?? Are you sure?
If so, I'd love to find out more. Any idea as to the provenance/producer?
All I'm aware of is the mark CV (click the circle on the left) to assure consumers that the ham has passed certain controls, has been cured for a minimum of 12 months and that it comes from the Valencian community. Out of the 54 or so ham producers in Valencia, only 16 meet the requirements for this particular seal/label. I didn't know any had the right to call their hams 'iberico' much less iberico de bellota. Could it just be the exporter who is based in Valencia?

Jamon maravillao!

Last edited by LapLap; Sep 1, 2008 at 10:19 am
Old Oct 27, 2008, 3:50 pm
Original Poster

KICK A** !!!!!

loving it !!!
IT IS HERE !!!!

Opened up the package and there it is -- vacuum sealed ands sliced and FOR FREE !!

I just paid the shipping.

Ordering some Spanish rioja today on wine.com and then some parmasan cheese from parma...and we are good to go !!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.