Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Have you eaten at IKEA?

Have you eaten at IKEA?

Old Feb 20, 2015, 9:01 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Long Train Runnin
I have eaten at the one in Elizabeth NJ probably a dozen times. I really like the food there, and its always fun to surprise a friend when they insist it isn't possible to eat at a furniture store.
I don't mean to single you/your friend out (I've seen it written in prior replies too), but what's the big deal with eating in a furniture store? There's not only this place in Manhattan, but how is this any more unusual than eating on a street, or on a plane, or...?
Old Feb 21, 2015, 5:28 am
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
I don't mean to single you/your friend out (I've seen it written in prior replies too), but what's the big deal with eating in a furniture store? There's not only this place in Manhattan, but how is this any more unusual than eating on a street, or on a plane, or...?

For me it's less the wow factor of I'm surrounded by Swedish furniture I have to assemble myself but the over all quality of the experience for the price. There breakfast with a cup of coffee will run you less than 3 dollars and be served on real plates with a ceramic mug to drink your coffee out of. Now in Southeast Asia I have become accustomed to lower end places offering real China and silverware for a 3 dollar meal but in North Jersey it's definitely the exception rather than the rule.

As for my friends I'm not sure why multiple have doubted me when I suggested eating there, but they find it hard to believe that Ikea would serve up something decent.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 4:39 pm
was thetravelingRedhead

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, United Silver Premier
Originally Posted by Long Train Runnin
For me it's less the wow factor of I'm surrounded by Swedish furniture I have to assemble myself but the over all quality of the experience for the price. There breakfast with a cup of coffee will run you less than 3 dollars and be served on real plates with a ceramic mug to drink your coffee out of. Now in Southeast Asia I have become accustomed to lower end places offering real China and silverware for a 3 dollar meal but in North Jersey it's definitely the exception rather than the rule.

As for my friends I'm not sure why multiple have doubted me when I suggested eating there, but they find it hard to believe that Ikea would serve up something decent.
i agree... and with the Family card you get free tea/coffee too!

well worth it when im in the area and hungry...
Old Mar 17, 2015, 8:43 pm

Programs: TK *G, Spirit Gold, Marriott Plat, Hilton HHonors Gold, Amex Plat, Chase SR
I absolutely love the Swedish meatballs at the IKEA food court. In fact I've gone to Ikea just to eat these delicacies. There is a restaurant in NYC near Wall St. that specializes in Swedish food called Smorgas Chef. I actually prefer the meatballs at IKEA.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 8:03 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
I assume it's the same across the board, but I note that my local IKEA (in MK) is now selling frozen köttbullar, and köttbullar ready meals. As well as that oddly textured Daim cake. Hmm...
Old Mar 20, 2015, 2:51 am

I haven't seen the Daim cake in the states in a long time, though I was happy to see Daim return to IKEA last year after a hiatus of several years. The cake was definitely in my cart every time I went. I do pick up a couple bags of meatballs on the way out after I enjoy them at the restaurant.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 3:39 am

Programs: aeroplan E .HH.
Really enjoy thier Meat balls ( no MDF) and jams with wierd northern eurpean berries. 59c hotdogs by the dozen ( for my helpers ) All help make up for the stress of involuntary 'hide n seek' ( trying to find the fastest way out )

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.