Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

You drink beer but you don't like Guinness, why?

Old Jun 10, 2006, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott

I was with a group of friends a few nights ago and over half claimed they didn't like Guinness--the Irish stout. Interestingly quite a few had not actually tried it! I'll admit it's an acquired taste, but I wonder why some beer drinkers don't at least try the beverage--actually, any stout!
Old Jun 10, 2006, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
mmmmmmmm ..... an icecream float made with stout.
Old Jun 10, 2006, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ContinentalFan
I was with a group of friends a few nights ago and over half claimed they didn't like Guinness--the Irish stout. Interestingly quite a few had not actually tried it! I'll admit it's an acquired taste, but I wonder why some beer drinkers don't at least try the beverage--actually, any stout!
I love the stuff, but I can only assume some people don't drink it simply because of their views of what beer is meant to look like. Beer is cold, yellow with a bright white head. Beer is not warm, thick and black.
Old Jun 10, 2006, 5:16 pm

Programs: BA GLD for LIfe, AA PLT 2 MM miler, B6 Mosaic, Star GLD; HH Diamond; Marriott PLT, IHG Plat
I'm very partial to Guinness, but it is very rich (if that's the right adjective). Plus, Guinness was one of my major clients for a decade -- put away 2 college educations thanks to my work with them. Maybe that makes it taste better.
Old Jun 10, 2006, 5:39 pm

Programs: Delta PM,UA 1P,
I pesonally love guiness, but have many friends who (like scott said) arent about to drink (or try) anything not brewed in St Louis or Golden colorado
Old Jun 10, 2006, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: aa/ua gold; mar titanium. SPG till I die.
I don't like guiness's taste.. it's WAY too strong for me to drink. I've had like two and never liked either.
Old Jun 10, 2006, 7:04 pm

Programs: NetJets Marquis, Southwest Moo, Marriott Platinum
Would your friends be Americans that drink Bud, Coors and that swill?

People that pound the fizzy water of American bulk breweries don't enjoy any beer with taste.

I love Guinness! But I also love Oranjeboom, Bitburger, Hoegaarten, and quite a few American microbrews like Kalamazoo Stout and Third Coast Ale ^ ^
Old Jun 10, 2006, 7:18 pm

Programs: Chick-Fil-A Red, Wawa, Red Cross blood donor
Half-and-halfs or black-and-tans are my favorite ways to enjoy Guiness. But I also like Chimay...oh, yeah...and bitburger.
Old Jun 10, 2006, 8:50 pm

Programs: Alaska, NW, AGR, much love for WN
Mmmmmm....black and tans. Yummy. Guiness alone reminds me of soy sauce. I like soy sauce, so it's not a bad thing to me, that's just what it tastes like.
Old Jun 10, 2006, 8:53 pm

Programs: QC, QF, Avis Preferred, BW Crown Club, Priority Club
I'll drink the creamier beers, Kilkenny etc, but I find Guiness just too watery for my taste.
Old Jun 10, 2006, 8:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by dannyr
I'll drink the creamier beers, Kilkenny etc, but I find Guiness just too watery for my taste.

I have never heard of Kilkenny. Note to self: trade up from Guinness to Kilkenny.
Old Jun 10, 2006, 9:11 pm

Programs: DL reject, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Jelly of the Month, formerly NWA Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by KevAZ
Would your friends be Americans that drink Bud, Coors and that swill?

People that pound the fizzy water of American bulk breweries don't enjoy any beer with taste.

I love Guinness! But I also love Oranjeboom, Bitburger, Hoegaarten, and quite a few American microbrews like Kalamazoo Stout and Third Coast Ale ^ ^

I believe that this is the most common explanation. People who don't know any better think that beer is supposed to be watery and pale. After all, marketing keeps telling them "This is Beer!" Yuk! They can keep that stuff.
Old Jun 10, 2006, 10:03 pm

Programs: DL PM, TSA Disparager Gold
Guiness is good, I also enjoy anything German (especially a good Hefe Weizen) or Heineken.
Old Jun 10, 2006, 11:49 pm

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
Well when it's 110+ here in PHX I don't want anything thick or warm. Some may laugh, but I've grown very accustomed to Corona with a lime.

Yes I've tried Guinness.
Old Jun 11, 2006, 1:33 am

Programs: NZ*G, QF NB, UA 1K, AA ExecPlat, IHG PlatAmb, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, ZE1 PC
They just don't know good beer!

I'm personally a dark beer drinker, and more or less always have been. I can't stand most lagers/pilseners.

I found there are a lot of people in my industry (IT/Telecomms) who do drink dark beers - moreso than other industries... although a limited sample size.

You can't keep me away from my Guinness. It doesn't have to be warm (I like mine chilled, but not the Guinness Extra Cold, since that hurts my teeth), either.

I've had similar conversations with many friends/co-workers who can't believe I drink it/won't drink it themselves/or just haven't tried it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.