Reload this Page >

The "Tipping if the service is bad? How Much? How Little?" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The "Tipping if the service is bad? How Much? How Little?" thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2007, 10:36 am

I'm a good tipper. If service is bad, they don't get as good of a tip. But, I would also suggest that you should allow a restaurant to make it up to you. If it is a chain, talk to the local management. If they don't listen, then write to the corporate headquarters. Chances are you will get response from them.

Also, I think that exceptional service should be noted when it is appropriate.
Old Oct 27, 2007, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Regarding the OP - to me, a good server would have noticed that refills were needed relatively early in the meal - therefore, an effort should have been made to check back periodically. This type of attention to detail is what differentiates truly good service from indifferent "going-through-the-paces" service, and it is what makes me increase (or lower) my tip percentage (to me, the importance of attention to detail is NOT limited to haute-cuisine or expense-account establishments).
Old Oct 28, 2007, 11:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
Regarding the OP - to me, a good server would have noticed that refills were needed relatively early in the meal - therefore, an effort should have been made to check back periodically. This type of attention to detail is what differentiates truly good service from indifferent "going-through-the-paces" service, and it is what makes me increase (or lower) my tip percentage (to me, the importance of attention to detail is NOT limited to haute-cuisine or expense-account establishments).
We tend to drink a lot--when my mother and I arrived (Mr. Kipper drove in another vehicle) Mr. Kipper had been sitting there with an empty glass, having finished his first glass of iced tea while waiting for us.
Old Oct 28, 2007, 5:02 pm
Suspended

You tip for service. You're certainly in the clear if you reduce your tip for lack of service. That said, going to a real restaurant (not a 400 seat chain location) generally will lead to better service. I don't expect service anywhere where people get drink 'refills'. Hunt around and you'll likely find an indy restaurant where the owner is puttering around making sure his guests are being taken care of.
Old Nov 4, 2007, 10:12 am

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
If service is bad not much of a tip & heaven help them if I don't get enough coffee
Old Nov 4, 2007, 2:08 pm

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE
Hunt around and you'll likely find an indy restaurant where the owner is puttering around making sure his guests are being taken care of.[/QUOTE]

Do you think there might be a reason for so many chain restaurants?
Old Nov 4, 2007, 5:35 pm

Usually, I'm a good tipper. I tip 15-20% for decent service. If I get excellent service, a bit more. Usually, if I get bad service, I'll still tip 10%.

However, there have been two occasions where the service was not just bad, it was HORRIBLE. (Think:everything that can go wrong goes wrong and then some). In those two cases, I left a very small tip, enough for the server to know I didn't just forget. Also, I will never EVER go back to those two restaurants, and I tell everyone I know to avoid them as well.
Old Nov 5, 2007, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by jennifer2456
Usually, I'm a good tipper. I tip 15-20% for decent service. If I get excellent service, a bit more. Usually, if I get bad service, I'll still tip 10%.

However, there have been two occasions where the service was not just bad, it was HORRIBLE. (Think:everything that can go wrong goes wrong and then some). In those two cases, I left a very small tip, enough for the server to know I didn't just forget. Also, I will never EVER go back to those two restaurants, and I tell everyone I know to avoid them as well.
Congratulations on training the server, now the server thinks:
"It doesn't matter whether I pay attention or not, I'm still going to get a tip!"
"Why should I bust my tail, I'll still get some money!"
"There is no justice, sorry service may get tip, super service may or may not get tip!"

Sorry Service -0-
OK Service 10%
Good Service 15%
Excellent Service 20%
Unbelievable Service (what can you spare)
Old Dec 9, 2007, 6:48 pm

Programs: AA Exp, Starwood Platinum, Priority Club Platinum RA, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
I usually tip at least 20% but have had a few instances where I left nothing. I had terrible service at a Chilis and complained through the online survey. I received an apology phone call from the regional manager who also sent along $100 in gift cards.

As far as the situation the OP had to deal with, I probably would have left $0 but then again my mother would have have smacked me if I left a good tip after poor service.
Old Dec 9, 2007, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Under the Liberty Visual to 27L at PHL. Stranger in a strange land - a Devils fan in Flyers country.
Programs: PWP Le Chancelier des Clefs d'Or || Sarcasm, Anti-Stupidity, Obscure References top tier member.
Originally Posted by kaukau
Excellent service: excellent tip
Good service: good tip
Bad service: bad tip
NO service: no tip
Perfect.
Old Dec 9, 2007, 8:57 pm

Programs: Korean Air, Lufthansa M&M, SPG ,United Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by ConciergeMike
Perfect.
Simple.... why the heck should I give a tip if the farking waitstaff aren't being polite and the service recieved is less than stellar?
On another note.. I usually tip very generously if the service is good.

Last edited by BIMMERKID2; Dec 9, 2007 at 8:58 pm Reason: Added something
Old Dec 10, 2007, 12:55 pm

Programs: US Airways, IC Hotels Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Sorry Service -0-
OK Service 10%
Good Service 15%
Excellent Service 20%
Unbelievable Service (what can you spare)[/QUOTE]

This sums up my take on tipping also. Why tip if the service is rubbish. There is no incentive for them to bother to improve.
I would also add that if the tip is ZERO the server should not be wondering why !
Old Dec 10, 2007, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Depends how bad it is. If really bad then no. If partially bad then tip less than the normal amount. Unfortunately this type of practice is difficult to put into practice in places like HK where most joints already stack up the service charge to your total bill.
Old Dec 12, 2007, 1:07 pm

Programs: HA Pua. Platinum WP, PR, QF, UA, AA, DL, NW Prince Preferred
Originally Posted by ConciergeMike
Perfect.
Mahalo!
Old Dec 12, 2007, 1:20 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
I will always leave something. Bad service=VERY little tip. I would hate to think they thought I forgot if I leave nothing. I want them to know I wasn't satisfied.

All I need is effort. I have received less than great service, but if I see the waitstaff moving, then that means something. If I detect attitude or lack of effort, my tip is thin.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.