Reload this Page >

Best & worst Bourbon?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best & worst Bourbon?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2017, 6:56 pm

Found the latest installment of Boss Hog for $429. Talk me into or out of it. And by friday.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 7:32 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by DetailsIM
Found the latest installment of Boss Hog for $429. Talk me into or out of it. And by friday.

the black prince?
well... that’s a good price.... for the black prince. Retail is $500... It’s too rich for my blood. They’ve sourced this rye from MGP (previous years have been CAndian). Aged 14 years and finished in Armagnac barrels... I’ve just never been able to get into Whistle Pig too much... and maybe I’m the only one but I hate finished whiskey. Especially rye, which I love. I love a nice prototypical rye finish; heavy on the pepper... but it’s gstting well reviewed and it would be interesting to try. It’s not flying off the shelves though. I say hi to a bottle every week and it doesn’t tempt me at all... pikesvilke 7 yo rye works quite well for me...

So TL;DR good price on expensive booze that’s still likely overpriced. Gets good reviews though.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 8:37 am

Thanks for your reply. Gonna sleep on it still. If I don’t get it I’m gonna snag EH Taylor Rye that the store just got in.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 10:48 pm

Hard pass. Have never been impressed by Whistle Pig, at any of their price points. If you really want to spend that much money, buy a bottle of Lot B.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 8:42 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
I like Whistle Pig, but that's too rich for my blood. Half that, and sure... but as everyone's said, it has gotten great reviews.

A friend of mine who has a bottle says it's awesome, but he actually prefers the current High West Midwinter Night's Dram (not sure what Act/Scene it is; I picked up Act III last winter in UT).
Old Dec 4, 2017, 7:52 am

So as noted previously, saw Boss Hog for $429. Went into an independently owned store this weekend and they were asking $1k a bottle. Crazy talk. The independent store was pretty much double the price of a big box store for anything they carried but they did have some hard to find things which were just fun to look at.

I picked this EH Taylor up at a big box store this weekend. Trying to get their full line up.

Old Dec 4, 2017, 12:46 pm
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

So as noted previously, saw Boss Hog for $429. Went into an independently owned store this weekend and they were asking $1k a bottle. Crazy talk. The independent store was pretty much double the price of a big box store for anything they carried but they did have some hard to find things which were just fun to look at.

I picked this EH Taylor up at a big box store this weekend. Trying to get their full line up.

I've been watching the Whistle Pig sit on the shelf at my local for I think $500...not tempted.. think you made the right choice....

The EH Taylor stuff is interesting... The full line will be tough given that they've done a lot of one offs... I think it's where Harlan Wheatley gets to experiement...

FDW
Old Dec 4, 2017, 6:51 pm

Have blanton’s gold and sftb coming in - really looking forward to them.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 9:38 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
I recently purchased the High West Bourbon - it was about the same price as my normal BH so I wanted to try it. Has anyone else had it? I am sticking with Basil next time. Very disappointed after having so many other good High West products.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 9:43 am

Programs: Bank
Very informative and interesting
Old Dec 8, 2017, 9:53 am

High West makes a number of products, what specifically did you buy?

Not a BH fan, as it’s too watered down.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 1:52 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by thelark
High West makes a number of products, what specifically did you buy?

Not a BH fan, as it’s too watered down.
The american prairie bourbon
Old Dec 11, 2017, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Anybody tried Buffalo Trace's Benchmark Old Number 8? The bottle looks like quite a ripoff of JD. I wonder how they got away with that?

Benchmark | Buffalo Trace Distillery
Old Dec 18, 2017, 5:03 am

I almost never drink whiskey of any kind but yesterday at the duty free they were giving out free samples of Woodford Reserve. Needless to say, I wouldn't be posting if I didn't think it was great. So the question is, how does it rank on the Bourbon scale? I mean, is it considered a good brand or just a value bottle. I have absolutely nothing to compare it to. I see that there are a few recent posts from others who have also bought this at the duty free.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by VivoPerLei
I almost never drink whiskey of any kind but yesterday at the duty free they were giving out free samples of Woodford Reserve. Needless to say, I wouldn't be posting if I didn't think it was great. So the question is, how does it rank on the Bourbon scale? I mean, is it considered a good brand or just a value bottle. I have absolutely nothing to compare it to. I see that there are a few recent posts from others who have also bought this at the duty free.
I'd rate it as both a good brand and a good value. It's one of the better mid-tier bourbons out there and it hasn't seen the dramatic price increases that we've seen in other brands within the bourbon category. You see it on these boards pretty frequently because both AA and DL serve it in all cabins (something I appreciate as a bourbon fan).

Personally I put it in the same league as Buffalo Trace (at today's MSRP), Maker's Mark, Knob Creek, Angel's Envy, and Weller 107 (at MSRP price, not secondary market price) and on a higher tier than Jack Daniel's / Jim Beam / Wild Turkey 101 / Four Roses Yellow.
VivoPerLei likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.