Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Buca di Beppo - what's with the music?

Buca di Beppo - what's with the music?

Old Feb 22, 2007, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by westcoastman
As you describe it Sinatra's That's Amore begins echoing through my head and I get a smile on my face. "When the moon hits the sky like a big pizza pie..."
Shame on you.
Just for the record, "That's Amore" was a Dean Martin hit, as was "Mambo Italiano" (which does have a tendency to get stuck in one's head).
Old Feb 22, 2007, 12:33 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG
I Love It

Maybe being of Italian descent is why the music doesn't bother me. From reading your post I come to the conclusion that you were at the bar area, not in the dining room. I have eaten at a few B d B and the music has never been an issue. What other kind of music would you expect at an Italian place - The Beatles?
Old Feb 22, 2007, 1:48 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond+, Alaska Airlines MVP, Priority Club Platinum
I have grown quite tired of "classic rock." When I went to Hard Rock Cafe the music was too loud to concentrate. While I was sitting in the bar I even had trouble reading my book. I don't like this music anymore and when I asked that they turn down the music they just looked at me. Talk about lack of customer satifaction. I am sure all the other customers were thinking the same thing and just afraid to ask.
Old Feb 22, 2007, 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by BNA_flyer
Just for the record, "That's Amore" was a Dean Martin hit, as was "Mambo Italiano" (which does have a tendency to get stuck in one's head).
Dean Martin did a version of "Mambo Italiano," but it didn't sell as many records as Rosemary Clooney's version. It is the Clooney version that my wife's family favors (her grandparents immigrated from Italy in early teens).

Last edited by clarence5ybr; Feb 22, 2007 at 3:49 pm
Old Feb 22, 2007, 3:34 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA, US, AS, Marriott, Radisson, Hilton
Putting ham on your chicken Parm doesn't make it any less Kosher
and may improve it by turning it into a sort of chicken Valdostana.
Old Feb 22, 2007, 10:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by dapastaguy
Maybe being of Italian descent is why the music doesn't bother me. From reading your post I come to the conclusion that you were at the bar area, not in the dining room. I have eaten at a few B d B and the music has never been an issue. What other kind of music would you expect at an Italian place - The Beatles?
How about instrumentals that don't get caught in your brain? Or, music with Italian lyrics. I'm of Italian descent too, but since I don't speak a word, it won't stick.

And Mambo Italiano at BdB was the Clooney version. Not that I'd find anybody's version palatable.
Old Feb 25, 2007, 9:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by BamaVol
We made the right choice going to Uno's Monday night. Buca wasn't overly busy, but the service was still poor. The bartender was wresting kegs half the time I was there, and trying to cover 3 tables plus the bar (2 additional parties). There was a function in the back room and that seemed to have affected service throughout the restaurant.

Oh well, I can say I've eaten there once.
The local brewpub will do that to its bartenders, and have them cover the entire bar plus the tables in there. The bar seats probably 25, plus several tables. When they do that, the service is horrible, but the other times, it's great. I guess they think it's a cost-cutting measure though.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by westcoastman
That is your problem. This is not a place to read and almost appears kind of rude for those around you that are trying enjoy the loud social and party atmosphere. Part of being there is to be entertained in a campy sort of way and just the fact you came alone to a place that serves family portions it is no wonder you were so turned off. As you describe it Sinatra's That's Amore begins echoing through my head and I get a smile on my face. "When the moon hits the sky like a big pizza pie..."
Shame on you.

😂😂...I agree, and just to add to your comment.
Buca is a place to go with family or a group of friends, It s Nice atmosphere, Every room has a theme, they take you through the kitchen, You can even sit in the kitchen. The Food is not authentic Italian, but its decent, for the portion size. The music is great except during the holidays. If dining alone I suggest to go during lunch time they have single serving portions.

Originally Posted by BamaVol
OK, now that I've had a couple people agree with me. Next bad:

They put ham on top of the Chicken Parmagiana! That ain't kosher! It was a wafer thin slice of ham in between the sauce and the parmesan cheese. There was more ham than cheese. I didn't ask to see the menu after eating it, but I do not recall ham in the description of the dish. Don't get me wrong, I like ham. But it doesn't belong there.
​​​​​​😂😂 Its not Ham, Its Prosciutto
There's a difference
😂😂

Originally Posted by Craig6z
I'm not overly fond of Buca food overall, but if you sit in the kitchen, it's always a lot of fun. BTW, their Eggplant Parm. stands out as pretty decent.

The music is not an issue when you are sitting in the kitchen. The ambient noise drowns it out.
The Kitchen is awesome!
But you have to be a fun group while sitting there.
Its great to sit in the kitchen for Birthdays as well.😉
You get to see first hand of all the dishes going out, and just the overall experience of seeing how things are prepared

Last edited by cblaisd; Jul 19, 2018 at 8:40 pm Reason: merged poster's three consecutive posts
Old Jul 20, 2018, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by schwarm
Buca di Beppo is the place where you have your office party if you don't value your office very much.
Or conference groups when you get stuck finding a place for lunch. You always wind up with a huge variety of diners, both in terms of food likes and price point. "Italian" is usually safe and Buca always has the space ready when we arrive, service is quick enough that people can make their afternoon meetings on time. There's always at least one person in the group who says "Buca di Beppo is my favorite" and we don't have one in my [insert your favorite small town here]. The food is edible if not authentic and no one complains.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 8:02 am

Not a fan of the only Buca di Beppo I've ever been to. Like most, it was a group dining experience. While the wait-staff was friendly and competent, the food was all made from the same four ingredients. It was like eating at the Taco Bell of Italian food.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 9:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by Pa Kettle
Not a fan of the only Buca di Beppo I've ever been to. Like most, it was a group dining experience. While the wait-staff was friendly and competent, the food was all made from the same four ingredients. It was like eating at the Taco Bell of Italian food.
I think you summarized it perfectly in the bolded part of your post.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 12:42 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Pa Kettle
To be honest, I'm not a fan of the restaurant. But I'd probably compare Fazoli's, Sbarro, etc. to Taco Bell (which I hate to say I like occasionally ). Buca at least has entree dishes that aren't pasta, so there's some variety.

Buca, to me, is just an Italian-American version of Chili's, Friday's, Applebees, and those types. There's a place for them in the market, but you're not going there for a memorable meal. I can see it being a decent option for those families with small children.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.