Reload this Page >

Your favorite red wine under $12/bottle

Your favorite red wine under $12/bottle

Old Nov 22, 2016, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by pinniped
Rodney Strong cab. Been reliably available at Costco in the $12-13 range for at least the past year if not longer.

I sometimes buy a whole case at a time.
That's a great price. It's $17.99 on wine.com.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 9:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Time to revive:

Albertsons has Bogle Cab. on sale for $7.77 this week. Excellent value.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
I bought a mixed case of wines at ABC with an average price of under $10. The one we liked best was a 2014 garnacha from Spanish winemaker Borsao. Liked it enough to go back and buy a whole case of nothing but at approximately $8 a bottle.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 9:27 am

Programs: SPG, Rapid Rewards, HHonors.
Any of the Apothic brands work for me.

Love the Inferno the best but wife is partial to the black.
aquamarinesteph likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 9:25 am

Programs: Lost it all and don't care
Naked Grape merlot. $9 CAD.

They don't use wood casks, but rather glass ones. Made in Niagara Falls, Canada, and available across the country.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 11:38 am

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Recently I've enjoyed a few bottles of Paxis red blend. It sells for under $10 at Costco and Cost Plus World Market. It has a medium body and a very slightly sweet taste that helps it go well with a variety of food. It reminds me of one of my previous bargain-bottle faves from years ago, the Spanish garnacha Las Rocas that doubled in price after it became popular. Very approachable choice for people who are not wine aficionados.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 3:24 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by darthbimmer
Recently I've enjoyed a few bottles of Paxis red blend. It sells for under $10 at Costco and Cost Plus World Market. It has a medium body and a very slightly sweet taste that helps it go well with a variety of food. It reminds me of one of my previous bargain-bottle faves from years ago, the Spanish garnacha Las Rocas that doubled in price after it became popular. Very approachable choice for people who are not wine aficionados.
Agreed - we keep several bottles of this on hand as our “homeowners association meeting”, “non-wine aficionado friends” and “maybe we only plan to drink half a bottle tonight” wine. Great quality for the price, a trait I find common to Portuguese wine.

If you step up a dollar or two, but still well under the limit in this thread, I also enjoy Casa Santos Lima “Colossal” Reserva, another Portuguese red Costco sells for under $10 a bottle. I like it a bit better than Paxis and find it to have a little more complexity and interest. My only real complaint is that the label graphic design is a little tacky.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 3:38 pm

Yellow Tail Shiraz.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

The Velvet Devil, Cab or Merlot, from WA. Good everyday drinker. ~$11.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Apparently Dave Phinney (The Prisoner) is discontinuing his "Fittings" label. Phinney's wines have become way overpriced, but Fittings is being sold in Ohio now for about $15, which is $10-$13 a bottle less than it was a few months ago. If you're a fan of big, highly-extracted Grenache like I am, go get some. It's excellent.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Apropos of nothing, I have realized I tend to like best wines that cost $15-25 a bottle. More than $25 becomes very difficult to tell if there's anything special there (aside from old Burgundies). Less than $15 usually just tastes like a fruit bomb. Though cheap Spanish and Portuguese wines are often as good as more expensive non-Spanish/Portuguese ones.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
Apropos of nothing, I have realized I tend to like best wines that cost $15-25 a bottle. More than $25 becomes very difficult to tell if there's anything special there (aside from old Burgundies). Less than $15 usually just tastes like a fruit bomb. Though cheap Spanish and Portuguese wines are often as good as more expensive non-Spanish/Portuguese ones.
I hear you. Maybe we should have a new thread for red wines >$12, considering inflation (I can't believe I started this thread in 2006). Or $12>$25.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 9:03 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
Berry's Reserve Red - get it by the case when they're having a 15-20% off own label sale (a couple of times a year) and it's about 6.50 a bottle (=$9 or so). Bargain!
Old Oct 27, 2017, 3:41 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by philemer
I hear you. Maybe we should have a new thread for red wines >$12, considering inflation (I can't believe I started this thread in 2006). Or $12>$25.
I find $12 still to be a relevant threshold. At least here in California there are plenty of selections below $12(ish) per bottle. It's fun to find one that's genuinely good, as opposed to merely drinkable. And $12 is a price level at which I'm happy to take chances. When I buy a $25 bottle I have very different expectations. I need to have tasted it before and found it worth the money, or have read reviews I trust. And I'll be loathe to open a $25 bottle "just because" on a Tuesday night. Whereas at $12 and under it's just part of the grocery bill.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Grard Bertrand, Syrah - Grenache, Languedoc 2014 @ Costco, ~$12. OK but needs decanting. A little "hot" right out of the bottle. 3.5/5.0

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.