Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "What's for Thanksgiving Dinner - Questions/Recommendations" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "What's for Thanksgiving Dinner - Questions/Recommendations" thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2019, 8:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
What is your least favorite dish at Thanksgiving?

Mine would have to be a pistachio "salad" that one aunt always brought. It might not have been so bad if she didn't put marshmallows in it. But they were always slimy and gave it a horrible consistency. I miss the aunt but definitely not her salad.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 1:47 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
My parents divorced two years ago and my attempts to find ways to "enjoy" Thanksgiving with them the last two years were failures.

- 2017: Tried seeing both, both got mad
- 2018: Saw one, both still got mad

So this year I'm seeing neither of them and going to Spain. I'll be in Madrid Thursday night so I imagine something non-traditional.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I have no idea what we’re having. We’re invited out to in-laws who are sort of traditional and I suspect it will be lots of stuff from the 1950s and that’s OK with us!!!
Old Nov 26, 2019, 10:41 pm

Planning on eating pizza and fried chicken at John's Incredible Pizza in SoCal.
Old Nov 27, 2019, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
We are going for Thanksgiving brunch at the recently reopened Sheraton Baypoint resort in PCB. It will be a little bittersweet as our last Thanksgiving brunch there was 2 years ago and we were accompanied by 2 family members who have since passed, my mother and mother-in-law.
Old Nov 27, 2019, 9:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
An experiment (for me, anyway). Making my usual recipe (Libby's) pumpkin pie, but with a gingersnap cookie crust.
Old Nov 27, 2019, 11:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ILuvParis
An experiment (for me, anyway). Making my usual recipe (Libby's) pumpkin pie, but with a gingersnap cookie crust.
I think that sounds great. After all, ginger is one of the spices in a pumpkin pie...the crust will go well with it.
Old Nov 28, 2019, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by corky
I think that sounds great. After all, ginger is one of the spices in a pumpkin pie...the crust will go well with it.

Here is the (visual) result
Old Nov 28, 2019, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Here is the (visual) result
Wow---beautiful. Just throw some whipped cream on that bad boy & it will be perfect. :-:
Old Nov 28, 2019, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by corky
Wow---beautiful. Just throw some whipped cream on that bad boy & it will be perfect. :-:
I bought a quart to whip (just in case)!
Old Nov 28, 2019, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I bought a quart to whip (just in case)!
^ ^
What time should I be there?
Old Nov 23, 2022, 10:14 am

Programs: US,UA,AA,DL,hhonors
Favorite Thanksgiving side dish that you must have

What side dish can you not live without? That dish that reeks Thanksgiving to you?
For me, creamed pearl onions. My Mom made them when I was a kid. Loved them. Then about 25-30 years ago, another version appeared in Esquire magazine. This has become my new go to favorite. I can’t imagine Thanksgiving without them.
What’s yours?
Old Nov 23, 2022, 11:21 am

As processed and unhealthy as it is - green bean casserole (I know it doesn't have to be overly processed. I also love (and my cousin demands) corn casserole (corn pudding, escalloped corn - any number of names). But mashed potatoes and gravy is an absolute must. In recent years, I used the NYT recipe mashed potato casserole because it can be made a few days in advance, so that the turkey and gravy can get full attention and because it's so good. Libby's recipe pumpkin pie with whipped cream.
Old Nov 23, 2022, 1:05 pm

Programs: BA GfL
I used the NYT recipe mashed potato casserole because it can be made a few days in advance, so that the turkey and gravy can get full attention and because it's so good.
I make that NYT mashed potato casserole every year, for the same reasons and also because it doesn’t contain anything that my Crohn’s-afflicted BIL can’t eat (when he showed up in the family, I had to retire my beloved roasted garlic mashed potatoes). I am also doing the NYT’s dry-brine turkey method—I made it two Saturdays ago for our annual Practice Thanksgiving dinner and it was spectacular, not to mention much less of a production than my previous wet-brining method.

I have shifted in the last few years away from corn pudding (which is great, but which is also impossible for said BIL to eat) to spoon bread, an Edna Lewis recipe. It’s great, and though it does require beating egg whites quite close to dinnertime, it’s not that big of a deal since I do so much of the rest of the prep in advance.
Old Nov 23, 2022, 6:05 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Pork roulade stuffed with cornbread/sausage stuffing has become a must have.
corky likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.