Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

What are the best foods for frequent travelers to bring on board?

What are the best foods for frequent travelers to bring on board?

Old Jan 11, 2009, 8:52 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I had a girlfriend who once made me a sliced, strip steak (with a side of peppercorn gravy) as packed lunch on a thermos-like container. My seat mates were envious.
Old Jan 11, 2009, 8:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by BamaVol
Yeah, the deli I used to patronize in my hometown would ask if the sandwiches were for immediate consumption. If not, they would pack pickle, lettuce and tomato in a separate wrapper. I've always done the same when packing school/work lunches with wet ingredients. I like my tuna salad very soggy so it's imperative to pack it in a container for application 5 hours later.
I like that deli! I used to smuggle cheesesteaks home from college on weekends, and the shop eventually would ask the same when I'd place an order.
Old Jan 11, 2009, 7:46 pm

A good roastbeef sandwich on some wholegrain bread with salad and onion topping is pretty filling and easy to carry.
Old Jan 11, 2009, 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
I also like a nice piece of fresh durian.

I actually posted something about my first encounter with durian on a flight several years ago. It made me gag as soon as the couple opened the container. The memory of that stanch still makes be gag.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 12:48 am

Programs: UA MM, SQ KrisFlyer, SPG/Marriott Titanium
#1, extra onions with a Diet Coke! Or maybe something from the secret menu. Definitely better then what C or F gets domestic...

Mwahahahahahah!
Old Jan 12, 2009, 11:20 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
We were flying back from one of the do's in London one February and the people across the asile about an hour after takeoff got up and got a Harrods bag from the overhead. They had a loaf of bread and a side of smoked salmon which Harrods had cut for them and then vaccum packed back into shape. Little jars of the sauces or whatever they were using, they started pulling off bits and pieses and enjoyed it for hours.

I think our most common travel food is proably whole wheat tortilla wraps, some home cooked sliced roast beef or turkey, some cheese, and some grape tomatoes. Packaged individually they stay fresh for hours and hours, and are eary to assemble. If you want mayo or mustard, virtually every airport shop has bins of them for you inside security.

My other favorite is shrimp, just dump some frozen cooked shrimp into better containers (or wrap the bag a bit) and in a few hours it will thaw into perfect cocktail shrimp. You can even get smaller jars of cocktail sauce if you want.
Old Jan 16, 2009, 6:36 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat National Executive Amtrak Select Plus
wifey and I once stopped in little italy in nyc on the way to a transcon... it was nice to pull out a giant stinky meat sandwich an hour in. show food.
Old Jan 16, 2009, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
Anything is good, so long as it does not have a smell. It's pretty bad having to smell someone else's food....or smell the overpowering smell of different dishes being eating by numerous folks nearby.
Old Jan 16, 2009, 11:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by kevinsac
or smell the overpowering smell of different dishes being eating by numerous folks nearby.
You mean the Hometown Buffet at 39,000' without adequate heating, cooling, and toilet facilities?
MareLuce likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2009, 9:05 pm

Programs: AA Plat- 2MM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold\
Originally Posted by obscure2k
If departing from LAX, pick up some fried chicken from Honey Kettle in Culver City. Delicious!!
you mean in and out burger right?
Old Jan 18, 2009, 7:36 am
gre

Programs: UA-Plat, Marriott-Plat, AAI, AAII
Search FT for "big stinky burritto" and you'll get more than a couple of hits with my name on them!

I even take them when I'm flying domestic F (they go nicely with a fruit plate).
Old Jan 18, 2009, 8:27 am

Programs: AS MVPG
Subway sandwich is OK if you ask them to hold the soggy condiments. You don't get too many funny looks from FAs if you ask for hot water that you then use to reconstitute cups of noodles or soup.
Old Jan 18, 2009, 9:47 am

Programs: Many, slipping beneath the horizon
Originally Posted by BamaVol
Peanut butter & jelly on whole wheat. It's pretty durable.

Me too, but on a couple of occasions, I've gotten a obnoxious ration of crap from TSA, "extra gels in extra ZipLocs, I guess.

I'd prefer some really odoriferous sammitches, but deferential to others, I pack some assorted cheese, cold meats, a chunk of baguette, grapes and an apple, almost always having to "explain" to TSA. The local truppen recognize and know the story. I guess they don't think the little packets of Dijon mustard and butter are dangerous.
Old Jan 18, 2009, 10:19 am

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
+1 for the burrito

They travel well and go great with a few beers!
Old Jan 18, 2009, 10:40 am
gre

Programs: UA-Plat, Marriott-Plat, AAI, AAII
Originally Posted by work2fly
+1 for the burrito

They travel well and go great with a few beers!
Also relatively tidy (at least self-contained) to eat.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.