FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   DiningBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/diningbuzz-371/)
-   -   Best or favorite airport bar? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/diningbuzz/587696-best-favorite-airport-bar.html)

hobarthoney Aug 7, 2006 9:20 pm

Best or favorite airport bar?

I was enjoying a beer on the observation deck of the "Esky Bar" in Sydney's international airport when I thought back on all the bars I had been at in different airports around the world. I think this is one of the best with views over the whole airport and out onto the water. I would be interested to hear what you think is the best airport bar. It will give me a good excuse to have a beer next time I am near by :p

UNITED959 Aug 7, 2006 10:01 pm

Although it's not inside security, Encounter (the theme restaurant at LAX) is pretty cool. And that older Mexican bartender is a great guy and makes the best cocktails!!

bensyd Aug 7, 2006 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by UNITED959
Although it's not inside security, Encounter (the theme restaurant at LAX) is pretty cool.

Sounds more like a swingers club than a restaurant :D

ContinentalFan Aug 10, 2006 12:09 am

I found this thread interesting when I first saw it posted: I thought it would generate a lot of responses. At first I was surprised that so few people posted; however, when I thought about it, I think maybe there aren't that many really good airport bars. Since the bars are full of transients, it's hard to find that sense of community that gives flavor to local bars. I have fonder memories of Presidents Clubs--particularly when one at LAX. I see many of the same people there, time and again; it has a slight feeling of home.

Kurt Aug 10, 2006 3:19 pm

The bar at the Red Carpet Club in the international terminal at SFO is very nice - upstairs in a nice corner with lots of glass. Great views of the gates, tarmac and runways (lots of 747s and 777s lined up). Plus they give you drink chits when you come in so it's even better ^

ContinentalFan Aug 10, 2006 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by Kurt
The bar at the Red Carpet Club in the international terminal at SFO is very nice - upstairs in a nice corner with lots of glass. Great views of the gates, tarmac and runways (lots of 747s and 777s lined up). Plus they give you drink chits when you come in so it's even better ^

If you haven't tried the bar in the Presidents Club, it's excellent too. The people that work in there are phenomenal. I really enjoy that club too! :)

Kurt Aug 10, 2006 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by ContinentalFan
If you haven't tried the bar in the Presidents Club, it's excellent too. The people that work in there are phenomenal. I really enjoy that club too! :)

But every President's Club has all free drinks, all the time, right? That makes the President's Club a great bar by definition ;)

I always have throught that the President's Club was one of the nicer clubs. My Dad's been a member since the '70s and he is still loyal.

francophile Aug 11, 2006 12:33 pm

I like the Long Bar at the Wing in HKG.

bordeauxboy Aug 14, 2006 3:23 pm

I found this thread interesting when I first saw it posted: I thought it would generate a lot of responses. At first I was surprised that so few people posted; however, when I thought about it, I think maybe there aren't that many really good airport bars. Since the bars are full of transients, it's hard to find that sense of community that gives flavor to local bars. I have fonder memories of Presidents Clubs--particularly when one at LAX. I see many of the same people there, time and again; it has a slight feeling of home.

I like the LAX club as well. It develops a homey feel close to midnight on my trips back from SE Asia waiting out the time until the next flight to IAH. And it is true that you get to see many of the same people there, just like a regular bar.

hangpilot Aug 14, 2006 9:05 pm

Although it's not inside security, Encounter (the theme restaurant at LAX) is pretty cool. And that older Mexican bartender is a great guy and makes the best cocktails!!

I agree. I've taken the LAX-CLE red-eye a few times, and usually get to the airport with hours to spare (never can count on those LA freeways!). I found a couple of glasses of wine up there a so much more relaxing experience than just about any other airport bar I've found. The quirkyness of the decor, and sense that you're actually going somewhere slightly off the beaten path just adds to the alure. Don't know what it's like in daylight - but looking out over the airport lights on all sides is great. It does close kinda early - 9:30 I think, so be warned!

techgirl Aug 15, 2006 7:47 pm

The Esky in Sydney is the ultimate of what an airport bar could/should be.

And :D to the suggestion of The Long Bar at HKG. :D

Coast2Coast Aug 15, 2006 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by bensyd
Sounds more like a swingers club than a restaurant :D

More like an alien movie than anything else.

http://www.encounterlax.com/

DullesJason Aug 16, 2006 1:16 pm

Since the bars are full of transients, it's hard to find that sense of community that gives flavor to local bars.

To me that means that what makes a good *airport* bar is the ambience, view and service rather than the community feel, a la Cheers, etc.

stimpy Aug 20, 2006 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by DullesJason
To me that means that what makes a good *airport* bar is the ambience, view and service rather than the community feel, a la Cheers, etc.

I'll take the opposite view. No airport bar is good facility-wise. We would never go there if we didn't have to fly. However airport bars can be a lot of fun for meeting complete strangers. This is especially true when you are delayed and moreso when the whole airport is delayed due to weather. We are all stuck in the same pot, and we add a little alcohol and open up to each other. We talk to strangers like we never would in a normal bar.

I will say that the best airport for such bar conversations is LAS. People are still in the "Vegas" mode and very talkative. Everyone has stories to tell and it's easy to tell a total stranger about all the sinning you did in Vegas. ;)

BearX220 Aug 20, 2006 9:59 pm

Although it's not inside security, Encounter (the theme restaurant at LAX) is pretty cool.

I think Encounter looks like what would happen if Arthur C. Clarke and Stanley Kubrick had teamed up to run Denny's.

I've thought hard about airport bars I've really enjoyed. None come to mind. Some lounges, though. The BA Terraces lounge at SEA is pretty nice.