Consolidated "Scotch - Best & Worst, recommendations, questions" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Scotch - Best & Worst, recommendations, questions" thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2007, 8:44 am

Best: Lagavulin (I like 16.)
Worst: Anything blended (Who came up with this monstosity???)
Old Sep 27, 2007, 10:08 am
Original Member

Programs: Hilton - Diamond, IHG - Platinum
Originally Posted by braefoot
:-::-: talisker :-::-:
And how far are you from the distillery on Skye?
Old Sep 27, 2007, 10:55 am

Programs: Mucci Diamond Hairbrush.
Originally Posted by Larrude
And how far are you from the distillery on Skye?

I was brought up about 10 miles from there and quite a few men from our village worked at the distillery. As I told someone else by pm, they used to bring some home on a Friday night as part of their wages. The whisky was as clear as water and was 100% proof.
Margaret
Old Sep 28, 2007, 4:58 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Former E
Has anyone had Glen Breton - a single malt from Cape Breton (the only NA single malt from my understanding)? How does it compare to single malts from Scotland. Very poor, excellent, etc...

Reason I'm asking is I'm visiting a friend who complains about the lack of good single malts. If I bring along a bottle of this whiskey (technically not scotch since it isn't from Scotland), I can get him both Canadiana and his single malt. Lets me pack a bit lighter. But if it is poor, I'll bring him a taste of Scotland and find something else to import from the Great White north.
Old Sep 28, 2007, 5:06 pm

Programs: AC, BW, National
Like a cat looking at a fat mouse .....

What I really really want ..... http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20070928...dwhiskyauction

SC
Old Sep 28, 2007, 5:19 pm
Suspended

Well just looking around my home i found this stuff:
Bowmore Vintage
Scapa
Ayrshire
Kinclaith Rare Reserve
George T.Stagg
Suntori Yamazaki
Chivas Royal Salute
Glenfarclas
Old Sep 28, 2007, 5:25 pm
Original Member

Programs: Hilton - Diamond, IHG - Platinum
Originally Posted by Jalinth
Has anyone had Glen Breton - a single malt from Cape Breton (the only NA single malt from my understanding)? How does it compare to single malts from Scotland. Very poor, excellent, etc...

Reason I'm asking is I'm visiting a friend who complains about the lack of good single malts. If I bring along a bottle of this whiskey (technically not scotch since it isn't from Scotland), I can get him both Canadiana and his single malt. Lets me pack a bit lighter. But if it is poor, I'll bring him a taste of Scotland and find something else to import from the Great White north.
Actually there is McCarthy single malt from Oregon. It is a nice whiskey, but not the same as real single malt from Scotland IMHO.

For a decent north American blend in a Scottish style, there is 40 Creek from Ontario, Canada.
Old Oct 6, 2007, 10:49 am

Programs: LH FTL, BA Silver
One of my absolute favorites is Brora.unfortunately they closed in 1983.there is so much soul and life in their whiskeys.you smell it, and feel that you are on the coast, sucking in the sea air.great.
of course there have been whiskeys related to certain situations.
tasting the 25 year old glen grant from a special edition at the 25th anniversary of my squadron, priceless.

cheers
Old Oct 8, 2007, 5:11 am

Lagavulin and Ardbeg are my favorites. Wish I had some here now!
Old Jan 24, 2008, 11:38 pm

Programs: Amex Biz Cent, Marriott LTP, Avis PC, Hilton Owners Diamond, AS MVP
I had happened to show this thread to a friend of mine and recently he wanted to get me a gift for various favors I've done for him....he ended up "FlyerTalk stalking" me and ended up getting me a bottle of the Auchentoshan Three Wood based on this thread. Just cracked it open and am enjoying it immensely. I did notice a sweet finish, similar to what many internet reviews have said as well.

I highly recommend it!
Old Jan 25, 2008, 11:00 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by brosnan6
I had happened to show this thread to a friend of mine and recently he wanted to get me a gift for various favors I've done for him....he ended up "FlyerTalk stalking" me and ended up getting me a bottle of the Auchentoshan Three Wood based on this thread. Just cracked it open and am enjoying it immensely. I did notice a sweet finish, similar to what many internet reviews have said as well.

I highly recommend it!
Okay. This will be my next Scotch purchase then.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Nov 4, 2010, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Costco Kirkland Signature brand scotch

I was surprised that there isn't a thread about this already.

Costco markets a bunch of alcoholic beverages under its house brand, Kirkland Signature. The KS scotch is now available! Pick up a bottle while you can. It's always only sporadically available, generally in Nov-Jan. KS Scotch is a single malt made by Macallan but costs half of what the equivalent Macallan single malt does.

Historically, the Kirkland scotch was an 18 year Macallan, but this year it seems to be a 16 year one. The Costco by my parents' house had about five or six cases yesterday, at $60/bottle. Well worth it. I split a case with my dad.

Has anyone else tried it?
Old Nov 5, 2010, 7:48 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
Has anyone else tried it?
UGH, I was at Costco while you were typing your post, I will try it at that price point, even though I've got 25+ other bottles of single malt sitting around. Oh wait maybe a couple less than 25+ as Mrs Sweet Willie and I polished off two around a fire last weekend.
Old Nov 5, 2010, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
UGH, I was at Costco while you were typing your post, I will try it at that price point, even though I've got 25+ other bottles of single malt sitting around. Oh wait maybe a couple less than 25+ as Mrs Sweet Willie and I polished off two around a fire last weekend.
I am constantly amazed at how much you and the Mrs seem to eat and drink. Sir, I salute the true gourmand!

I found the KS scotch at the Costco in Lake Zurich. Don't know if the Chicago warehouse has it. Historically, I usually have seen it at the Schaumburg location.
Old Nov 7, 2010, 8:13 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
I found the KS scotch at the Costco in Lake Zurich. Don't know if the Chicago warehouse has it. Historically, I usually have seen it at the Schaumburg location.
Thanks for the salute we normally shop at the Mount Prospect or Glenview location. I just told Mrs Sweet Willie about it, she's jazzed to try it, especially seeing as she has this Thurs off and it is supposed to possibly be in the mid 60's on Wed, so Wed night will be a good night to have another fire outdoors and crack the KS Scotch open.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.