Consolidated "Scotch - Best & Worst, recommendations, questions" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Scotch - Best & Worst, recommendations, questions" thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2018, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by mandolino
Glenfarclas 105 was one of those rare bargains at SVG duty-free , which is how I acquired a taste for it.
Wow! 105 year old scotch. How much does that cost? LOL
Old Jul 30, 2018, 11:58 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by zitsky
Wow! 105 year old scotch. How much does that cost? LOL
The 105 refers to the proof, not the age.
The Scotch Noob

The ‘105’ in the name refers to the proof, which in the British proof system is 60% ABV. Around here we use the US proof system, which means the 105 is actually 120. Got it? It’s worth noting that being exactly 60% ABV and also “cask strength” is a bit of a trick – Glenfarclas actually chooses barrels and batches them together so that their combined proof is exactly 60%, so that they don’t need to add any water to hit the target number (which would render the result not ‘cask strength’). Glenfarclas uses only sherry casks to mature whisky, which previously held oloroso or fino sherry, and are either 500 liters (butts) or 250 liters (hogsheads). While there is no age statement, the word on the Internet is that the 105 is at least 8 years old.
Total Wine sells it for $92.99.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 3:52 pm

I was kidding, but thanks for the info.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
I bought a bottle of Suntory Toki last night. It's a blend of whiskey from their 3 distilleries. I only had a small sip since I'd already drunk too much beer. Sweet, a little spicy. I'll be interested in trying some on a fresh palate tonight.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 6:20 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by BamaVol
I bought a bottle of Suntory Toki last night. It's a blend of whiskey from their 3 distilleries. I only had a small sip since I'd already drunk too much beer. Sweet, a little spicy. I'll be interested in trying some on a fresh palate tonight.
It's OK. Just not as subtle or complex as some of their aged stuff; like you said, sweet and a bit spicy. I got a couple of bottles back when NAS wasn't the norm for Japanese whiskys, when the stuff retailed for like $30.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by exerda
It's OK. Just not as subtle or complex as some of their aged stuff; like you said, sweet and a bit spicy. I got a couple of bottles back when NAS wasn't the norm for Japanese whiskys, when the stuff retailed for like $30.
I overpaid at $40, not being familiar with it. I see it can be had online for as little as $35 and don't know if it's available elsewhere locally and at what price. Probably reasonably priced at $35. I just wanted to expand my Japanese whiskey experience and didn't feel like spending the minimum $75 for anything else.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 8:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Duke787
For starters -- it was sad to see the Hibiki 17 era come to a close for a while. Thankfully still have 3 bottles left from various Tokyo trips to slowly drink down over the next couple of years but will still need to find a suitable (and likely much cheaper at current prices) replacement from some corner of the earth (perhaps time to explore Kavalan in more depth).
I am a fan of the Hibiki 17 as well - liked it better than the Hibiki 21 I taste-tested at JAL's lounge. I regret not buying more bottles before the price skyrocketed.

Along those lines, I recommend you try the Kavalan Sherry Fino. Assuming you can get to Taiwan, it's about $210 a bottle which is far less than what a Hibiki 17 will run you these days.

Once you dilute down the cask-strength, I find it similar to Hibiki 17 with a slightly sweet but not overpowering smoothness. Enough flavor to let you know it's whisky but still dangerously smooth.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Having some Glenrothes Peated Cask Reserve tonight. It's nothing amazing, but, as Shrek says, that'll do.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 12:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Anyone having trouble finding Hibiki 17 now?

I was expecting this to occur but hopefully had some time to make a quick dash over to Japan...
Old Oct 3, 2018, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Anyone having trouble finding Hibiki 17 now?

I was expecting this to occur but hopefully had some time to make a quick dash over to Japan...
Good luck finding it in Japan -- just got back and it's not easy (or cheap). I was in Ginza and best I found was 42k (~$375) -- I splurged because H17 is my favorite and it's still cheaper than the ridiculous prices in the US but it's a far cry from the $50 I spent on my first bottle.

FWIW there is a big thread on the Japan forum about finding Japanese whisky in Japan: Consolidated "Buy Whiskey in Japan" thread (was: Haneda/Narita Duty Free Whiskey)
Old Oct 3, 2018, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Good luck finding it in Japan -- just got back and it's not easy (or cheap). I was in Ginza and best I found was 42k (~$375) -- I splurged because H17 is my favorite and it's still cheaper than the ridiculous prices in the US but it's a far cry from the $50 I spent on my first bottle.

FWIW there is a big thread on the Japan forum about finding Japanese whisky in Japan: Consolidated "Buy Whiskey in Japan" thread (was: Haneda/Narita Duty Free Whiskey)
Yowzas! Well, good to know.
I guess you'll be slowly cherishing that H17!

And thanks for the link!
Old Oct 8, 2018, 7:27 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
A friend of mine brought Monkey Shoulder on a trip we took last weekend. I'm not usually one for blends but this was a nice change of pace from my usual Glenlivet. Not something I'm likely to buy for myself though.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 8:22 pm

Saw Toki and a few others in my local ABC store. I'm someone who drinks mostly Macallan 12. Would I enjoy this? Would I pour it down the drain or use it for mixed drinks?
Old Oct 8, 2018, 10:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by zitsky
Saw Toki and a few others in my local ABC store. I'm someone who drinks mostly Macallan 12. Would I enjoy this? Would I pour it down the drain or use it for mixed drinks?
Meh I'd give it a pass -- I'm a big Japanese whisky fan but Toki just doesn't do it for me. It's actually the one Japanese whisky that's reasonably priced (and readily available) in NC and I haven't even finished the first bottle. I just use it for mixed drinks -- definitely wouldn't hold a candle to the Macallan 12 (and I don't really like Macallan 12 but would still take it over Toki without batting an eye)
Old Oct 12, 2018, 6:21 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Meh I'd give it a pass -- I'm a big Japanese whisky fan but Toki just doesn't do it for me. It's actually the one Japanese whisky that's reasonably priced (and readily available) in NC and I haven't even finished the first bottle. I just use it for mixed drinks -- definitely wouldn't hold a candle to the Macallan 12 (and I don't really like Macallan 12 but would still take it over Toki without batting an eye)
Supposedly even though it's largely an export market whisky, it's targeted at the traditional Japanese audience: highballs. I can see that...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.