Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Scotch - Best & Worst, recommendations, questions" thread

Consolidated "Scotch - Best & Worst, recommendations, questions" thread

Old Nov 1, 2015, 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by MaxBuck
North Carolina single-malt whiskey: https://www.defiantwhisky.com/spirit/

Not terrible, but not very complicated.
I'm tempted to drive out there but it's most of the way to Asheville and just too far to make the trip worthwhile.

I just love this comment on their website:

This whisky is s**t. It tastes a lot like many cheap blended scotches. These guys might be starting with a good mash? They are not doing what it takes to make a world class whisky with what they started with. The flavor is very one dimensional. I want my $60 back. BTW moutfeel is good. Dissapointed.
Price on their website is $45.95. Even with shipping I don't see how you get to $60.
Old Nov 1, 2015, 5:45 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by zitsky

Price on their website is $45.95. Even with shipping I don't see how you get to $60.
Cheapest shipping option for me (NY) is $20.09...so my total for 1 bottle would be $66.04. Too bad the whisky sucks...looks like a cool bottle.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 9:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

some interesting numbers including price increases >
http://www.divingforpearlsblog.com/2...om-part-2.html
http://www.divingforpearlsblog.com/2...om-part-1.html
http://www.divingforpearlsblog.com/2...om-part-3.html
Old Dec 1, 2015, 6:43 am

Programs: EK - Silver; Accor - Silver; O6 - Gold; BAEC - Silver; Flying Blue; SPG; Krisflyer
Just received a bottle of Yamazaki limited edition 2015.

Anyone tried it before?
Old Dec 3, 2015, 9:27 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Anyone tried the Bruichladdich Black Arts? Specifically the 23yo.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 8:28 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, AmEx, NorthWest WorldPerks, Jelly of the Month. S&H Green Stamps, Subway sub club
Just to bump this thread...

I opened a bottle of Johnnie Walker The Spice Road over the weekend.

Was surprised to find a ball bearing kind of pouring mechanism after removing the cap. I've never seen that on a bottle before.

Anyone else have experience with this?
Old Dec 14, 2015, 11:36 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Hmm, no, I haven't run into that before. I have a bottle of Spice Road sitting on my shelf, so I'm curious to hear what you think. (I wasn't planning on opening mine, FWIW; just got it in case it would be a good trade some day.)
Old Dec 15, 2015, 7:02 am

That ball bearing mechanism is probably the one usually found on liquor bottles sold in China / SE Asia. It's basically used to try to prevent refilling of the bottle with some other different stuff after the bottle is opened.
Old Dec 15, 2015, 9:36 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, AmEx, NorthWest WorldPerks, Jelly of the Month. S&H Green Stamps, Subway sub club
Originally Posted by exerda
Hmm, no, I haven't run into that before. I have a bottle of Spice Road sitting on my shelf, so I'm curious to hear what you think. (I wasn't planning on opening mine, FWIW; just got it in case it would be a good trade some day.)
Smokey for sure. It is smooth though. I enjoyed it
Old Dec 15, 2015, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by zitsky
I'm tempted to drive out there but it's most of the way to Asheville and just too far to make the trip worthwhile.
Too bad you didn't go. You could have combined it with the "other guys" out there. I've been curious about Highland Brewery's Asheville Distillery. It looks like the product is all variants of moonshine corn whiskey, but the beer is so good I'd be willing to try the whiskey.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 6:17 am

Looking for a Recommendation.

Price range- ~$200-$300(some wiggle room up)
Event- Wedding
Looking for a sipper something that opens up over time. Don't want to be rushed so the scotch will set the mood, drink it slowly and relaxed. Not looking for a peat monster that everyone will smell on me from across the room.

Bottles I've recently had listed in order of preference.

Balvenie Tun 1401 batch 9
Highland park 15(this is the max smoke i would want)
Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban
Macallan select oak
Glenmorangie original/Balvenie doublewood tie both rather boring
Famous groose, bought to use as a mixer but did want to try one straight, not great but still better then the laphroaig lol.
laphroaig 10 not a fan plus i smell like a medicine cabinet when i drink it.

Bottles i'm looking at, doesn't have to be from this list.
Balvenie tun 1509
Balvenie 21 portwood
Macallen Rare cask
Highland park Valhalla odin/freya are available and i think i can still find loki.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Brandon727

Event- Wedding
Looking for a sipper something that opens up over time. Don't want to be rushed so the scotch will set the mood, drink it slowly and relaxed. Not looking for a peat monster that everyone will smell on me from across the room.

Macallan select oak
Famous groose, bought to use as a mixer but did want to try one straight, not great but still better then the laphroaig lol.

Balvenie tun 1509
Balvenie 21 portwood
Macallen Rare cask
Highland park Valhalla odin/freya are available and i think i can still find loki.
I was unaware that scotch opened up. It's not wine.

I'd check out Macallan 18 (slightly under your price range) and Macallan 25 (in your price range, but of the two I prefer the 18).
Old Dec 21, 2015, 11:08 am

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
I was unaware that scotch opened up.
In my experience, it does. See for yourself. Pour a dram and cover it. Give it at least a minute for each year of maturation. Then pour another dram. See if they differ.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 11:11 am

Originally Posted by Brandon727

Event- Wedding

Macallan select oak

Balvenie tun 1509
Balvenie 21 portwood
Macallen Rare cask
Depending on where you live, single cask bottlings may be available. Glenfarclas Family Casks are an easy recommendation. Make sure you get to sample before you buy.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by NYCRuss
Depending on where you live, single cask bottlings may be available. Glenfarclas Family Casks are an easy recommendation. Make sure you get to sample before you buy.

GFunkDave I am leaning towards a cheaper(~200) non special edition bottle for 2 reasons, 1st is if i get a macallan 18 then on my 3rd, 5th, 25th anniversary i can buy the "same" bottle to enjoy, 2nd we are going on a cruise honeymoon, and I'd like to pick up a duty-free exclusive bottle.

NYCRuss
Looked online nothing, will check a few local stores.
I'm in Tampa, but would be willing to drive a few hours to get a memorable bottle. Plenty of Total wines to select from, http://www.luekensliquors.com/ has a decent selection, and of course ABC stores. I'm open to any other recommendations you may have it would be the perfect excuse to go out and try some new drams.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.