Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Scotch - Best & Worst, recommendations, questions" thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2011, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
Edited to note, I am growing fonder of the 15 yr old Highland Park.
Try the 18 year old. Great drink, good value too.

The 25 is amazing but certainly a special occasion drink. The 18year old fits the everyday drinking category...
Old Jan 15, 2011, 7:13 pm

Programs: HH-S WS-G
As someone was kind enough to show us their collection I'll do the same.
http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i1...man/scotch.jpg
Old Jan 16, 2011, 12:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Since we're in the spirit of sharing photos...

My "collection" ain't as exotic, but who can argue with free:

http://gallery.flyertalk.com/gallery/ANC-Dos/photo

(Taken in a hotel in DCA. Thank you, Alaska Airlines! )
Old Jan 16, 2011, 1:25 am

Programs: AA LT PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by JAAbercrombie
Hands down - Scapa 16yr. Though, if you can find a 14yr bottling I remember it to be more pleasant than the current 16yr offering.

A close 2nd, if you can get your hands on it, is Cardhu 12yr.

Forgot to mention: Do not EVER buy Tomatin 12yr. I would pay handsomely to remove that experience from my life.
Great to hear. I just received a bottle and was planning a closer inspection tomorrow.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 12:08 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I was drinking with my girlfriend at the SFO Skyclub and she asked to try my scotch as she's never had it. I tried to reassure her that there was some that's much better than the Dewars DL serves but I think she may be turned off to scotch for life
Old Jan 17, 2011, 12:33 pm

Programs: ABP, Mr. Mom without the kids, Signor Mucci, DL PM, HH & Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by CMK10
I was drinking with my girlfriend at the SFO Skyclub and she asked to try my scotch as she's never had it. I tried to reassure her that there was some that's much better than the Dewars DL serves but I think she may be turned off to scotch for life
All is not lost. Mrs. Italy didn't care for the Lagavulin I had, yet has probably matched me glass for glass with Oban or Dalwhinnie. Start light and work from there.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 9:18 am

Programs: Virtuoso Travel Advisor. FSPP, Ritz STARS, Rosewood Elite, Belmond BelliniClub. SPG PRO
Nice thread. I often don't have the money nor the knowledge myself when I come across buying options. Always nice to see other's ideas for something I might like.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 9:34 am

Programs: ABP, Mr. Mom without the kids, Signor Mucci, DL PM, HH & Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by tenmoc
Nice thread. I often don't have the money nor the knowledge myself when I come across buying options. Always nice to see other's ideas for something I might like.
If you travel through LGW or LHR you will find, past security, a shop dedicated to Single Malts where you will be able to try various bottles before picking up one or two to bring home. Just leave room in your checked bag for your purchase.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 11:53 am

Programs: Virtuoso Travel Advisor. FSPP, Ritz STARS, Rosewood Elite, Belmond BelliniClub. SPG PRO
Originally Posted by Italy98
If you travel through LGW or LHR you will find, past security, a shop dedicated to Single Malts where you will be able to try various bottles before picking up one or two to bring home. Just leave room in your checked bag for your purchase.
Which terminal is this? And airside or landside?

Will be there somewhat soon as it would have it.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 12:16 pm

Which terminal is this? And airside or landside?

Will be there somewhat soon as it would have it.
Airside. World of Whiskies - LGH and LHR.

Found this link with some specials.

Enjoy!
Old Jan 25, 2011, 6:32 pm

From the PHOENIX magazine (@phoenixmagazine):

You're Invited to Celebrate The Macallan, a Unique Tasting Event - http://eepurl.com/cnyRv
Old Jan 26, 2011, 8:22 am

From the PHOENIX magazine (@phoenixmagazine):

You're Invited to Celebrate The Macallan, a Unique Tasting Event - http://eepurl.com/cnyRv
Is this anything more than an information grab? I put in NYC zip codes where the promo is run out of NYC and it says nothing near by but we'd love to share with you sometime, give us all your details.
Old Jan 26, 2011, 1:52 pm

Is this anything more than an information grab? I put in NYC zip codes where the promo is run out of NYC and it says nothing near by but we'd love to share with you sometime, give us all your details.
I had a number of dates appear when entering (Phoenix, AZ) ZIP Code 85008. Here is a contact link if you want to inquire about a function in your area.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 11:48 am

I had a number of dates appear when entering (Phoenix, AZ) ZIP Code 85008. Here is a contact link if you want to inquire about a function in your area.
excellent.

thank you.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 12:28 pm

excellent.

thank you.
Always glad to help a connoisseur of Scotch.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.