Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Scotch - Best & Worst, recommendations, questions" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Scotch - Best & Worst, recommendations, questions" thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2019, 5:43 pm

I only drink Chivas regal on an airplane when there is nothing else. It's not bad, just not my favorite.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by CMK10
Went to Maryland this weekend and stopped into a liquor store in Easton on the Eastern Shore. Their selection was surprisingly impressive, especially when compared to my usual ABC Store back in North Carolina.

I got this for $269. I've never seen it in North Carolina and I'm not sure if I've ever seen it at a bar either. It's without a doubt the smoothest most velvety scotch I've ever had. Beautiful color too.
I quite like this one too.
Heck, I even sold the empty bottle and the box/package on eBay!
Old May 1, 2019, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by yyznomad
LOL. To someone who will pour bottom shelf booze into it and pass it off as something nice to his friends?
Old May 1, 2019, 8:51 am

Originally Posted by BamaVol
LOL. To someone who will pour bottom shelf booze into it and pass it off as something nice to his friends?
Great idea! I'll be right back!
Old May 7, 2019, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by BamaVol
Originally Posted by zitsky
Great idea! I'll be right back!
LOL. Actually one time I did ask why they wanted one of the bottles I sold, and it was to do just that, but moreso to test his friends.

Other reasons given were quite interesting.
Old May 7, 2019, 8:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by yyznomad
There are people who want an impressive looking shelve as well.
I don't mind as they subsidize my habit.
Old May 7, 2019, 9:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mandolino
I'm with you YYZ.
Living in northeast Scotland, I'm spoilt for choice.

Paradoxically, this drives one back towards simplicity. You start drinking popular blends and trying to identify the components. Eventually you begin to enjoy the skill that goes into these blends.

Full circle, and a lot cheaper!
@mandolino

Yes! And coming from you, a Scot, I'll take that as a compliment.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 4:27 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Bowmore 15, a brand I hadn't tried before, was on sale at the ABC Store for $66. It's an Islay that's advertised as peaty but it frankly isn't doing much for me. The peat isn't strong enough to make enough of an impression on me.

On the plus side, it does fit perfectly into my cup holder for easy transport
Old Jun 5, 2019, 6:33 pm

Uh drinking and driving? LOL

I hate that we can't get Macallan Estate, with the NC rules and the raffle.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 2:24 pm

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
Originally Posted by CMK10
Bowmore 15, a brand I hadn't tried before, was on sale at the ABC Store for $66. It's an Islay that's advertised as peaty but it frankly isn't doing much for me. The peat isn't strong enough to make enough of an impression on me.

On the plus side, it does fit perfectly into my cup holder for easy transport
A clear example of how the wrong music can affect your tastebuds.
Bowmore is generally the least impressive of the Islay malts but they come out with some good ones.
Stewie Mac likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 7:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mandolino
A clear example of how the wrong music can affect your tastebuds.
Bowmore is generally the least impressive of the Islay malts but they come out with some good ones.
You're right it wasn't that good, but for $60-70 I'll try pretty much anything. It's been fun trying lots of new brands the last couple of years. But I do not plan to buy this one again.

I will still listen to EDM though, grandpa.
kennycrudup likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 10:52 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, DL Diamond 2MM, PriorityPass, Hilton Honors Silver
Question Looking for Johnnie Walker Regions Collection

I saw the collection below on sale at Changi last month Bought the Islay and Highland on my way out, and planned to buy the Speyside and Lowland when returning. Unfortunately my SQ flight kept changing terminals and DutyFree would not sell them to me except at the terminal where the flight leaves from. In course of the chase, I fell into the 90 minute rule (for flights to US, they only deliver at gate, and stop taking orders 90 minutes before the scheduled departure). Long story short, I could not complete the set!

My question is, have you seen the set being sold at any other airport Dutyfree (I say this because I seem to recall that the collection was a travel retail special)? What were the bottles selling for?
Cheers,
Spc354

Last edited by spc354; Aug 14, 2019 at 10:54 am Reason: Forgot picture
Old Sep 25, 2019, 6:34 pm

Hosted a dinner the other night and a friend brought over Ardberg AO. My first experience with Ardberg was bad, I couldn't even finish the glass, but this is pretty good as long as you like peat.
Old Oct 1, 2019, 11:38 pm

Programs: UA Gold, BONVOY TIT
Kilchoman Loch Gorm is probably the best sub $100 scotch I've had. Cannot recommend enough. Smoky but aged in sherry barrels for sweetness too.
Old Oct 5, 2019, 3:37 pm

I just saw a news item that stated a 25% tariff will be added to single malts from the UK from October 18. When I was at a chain beverage store I checked some prices, and it doesn't look like the tariff has been added to their prices yet. I've been looking to get a high end bottle of whisky, but I was in no rush; that has changed a bit now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.