Consolidated "Scotch - Best & Worst, recommendations, questions" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Scotch - Best & Worst, recommendations, questions" thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2011, 11:01 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, SPG Gold
So I'm still pretty new to the world of single malts and have been putting together a small collection to do tastings with friends/family when they visit. What would you consider must haves in any collection?
Old Oct 30, 2011, 11:20 pm

Originally Posted by Peter M
I agree with much of these comments. Lagavulin gets lots of support.^
The single malts are the best. If a Whisky is not a single malt then it means the taste was unacceptable, so it had to be mixed, and so should be used as a mixer. Of course the proper way to drink Scotch is on the rocks without anything else, or if you must - weaken it a drop of spring water. For the older generation, the best time to drink Scotch is not all day! - But as a night cap.

Many golfers on cold days bring a hip flask of whisky to 'warm' themselves.

Whisky (or in the U.S. Whiskey) is also for colds, called a "Hot Toddie" - Whisky and hot water - with honey if you must have it sweet! (This has never worked for me though. )

Few Scots-owned distilleries survive, many are Japanese owned.

I have to complement the FTers for their good taste, many average Whisky drinkers can't discern much of a taste difference between brands, obviously those people are drinking Scotch the wrong way! Whereas FTers know how to use taste buds
I really have to disagree with you in the "proper" way to drink scotch... the temperature of any liquid effects the flavour - the colder the liquid, the less we can taste. "On the rocks" is most certainly to the detriment of the scotch. The best way to appreciate scotch is firstly in a nosing glass (like the glencairn) and not in a tumbler! secondly it should be at room temperature. I agree with you though on the possibly adding a spot of spring water. This is so that the scotch is consumed and nosed at the best alcohol volume which can be a tricky balance - most tasters recommend about 40% ABV.

Anyway - my favourite scotches are the Peaty/smoky variety!
Old Oct 31, 2011, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by broadwayblue
So I'm still pretty new to the world of single malts and have been putting together a small collection to do tastings with friends/family when they visit. What would you consider must haves in any collection?
I would include Macallan 12, that's my personal favorite and not expensive.
Old Oct 31, 2011, 2:45 pm

Many scotch-nazis will have a tiny (bar sized) cube or 2 with their whiskey. Serves the same purpose as the spring water - opening up the nose. On the rocks is an abomination. They put enough water in it when they made it ! wj
Old Oct 31, 2011, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by whackyjacky
Many scotch-nazis will have a tiny (bar sized) cube or 2 with their whiskey. Serves the same purpose as the spring water - opening up the nose. On the rocks is an abomination. They put enough water in it when they made it ! wj
I'll admit. I like my Macallan 12 on the rocks. But I'll have my Macallan 25 (or any other really good scotch) neat. I'll try the one ice cube trick next time with my Macallan 12.
Old Oct 31, 2011, 7:55 pm

Programs: Many, slipping beneath the horizon
Originally Posted by whackyjacky
My California and over-sophisticated (in her eyes) daughter sent me a little bag with 6 gray stone cubes (about 1"), left in freezer then into glass, whisky poured over. A lot less "cold' than ice, no melting, and seems to bring the whisky to a pleasant temp, but allowing the 'nose' to grow.
Old Oct 31, 2011, 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by TMOliver
My California and over-sophisticated (in her eyes) daughter sent me a little bag with 6 gray stone cubes (about 1"), left in freezer then into glass, whisky poured over. A lot less "cold' than ice, no melting, and seems to bring the whisky to a pleasant temp, but allowing the 'nose' to grow.
Yes, yes, yes ! I was in a bar in Sydney 20 yrs ago and they used that method with rounded sea stones. They washed, rinsed, dried them & then froze them in a mug freezer. The Bar ? Sorry, I've killed those brain cells. wj
Old Oct 31, 2011, 9:39 pm

Originally Posted by zitsky
Thanks...I believe I have a bottle of Macallan 12 year, Elegancia I think it's called. I'll have to try it again as I don't remember it very well.

I did have a shipment arrive today:

Laphroaig 10yr
Ardbeg 10yr
Oban 14yr

A few classics I've read about but never tasted. Looking forward to sampling them this weekend.
Old Nov 2, 2011, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zitsky
My favorite cheap scotch is Chivas - about $20 a bottle and very drinkable.

Macallan is great, but it's the name brand highland malt and I think it's a bit overpriced. Macallan 18 is one of my usual favorites.

My dad has a bottle of The Glenrothes 1994 that is sublime (about $75).
Old Nov 2, 2011, 3:35 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
For people in the Triangle, check this bar out. They have a great scotch and whiskey selection and it's the only place in Durham one can smoke inside at. I was there Monday for a double Glenlivet and a cigar:

http://whiskeydurham.com/
Old Nov 6, 2011, 1:57 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, AA PM
Originally Posted by TMOliver
This sounds great. Another option are the oversized ice cubes I've seen used instead of rocks in high end Japanese cocktail bars. You can buy silicone molds from Muji that make large spheres designed to keep your drink cold while minimizing melting
Old Nov 23, 2011, 2:40 pm

So it's just about time for holiday shopping to begin...what do you experts recommend in an older single malt (let's say 17 years and up) that you feel is worth the price or perhaps even an excellent value?
Old Nov 24, 2011, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by broadwayblue
So it's just about time for holiday shopping to begin...what do you experts recommend in an older single malt (let's say 17 years and up) that you feel is worth the price or perhaps even an excellent value?
The Glenrothes 1994 - about $75 at any decent liquor store

Costco's house brand, Kirkland Signature - $50-80ish for 12-18 yr if you can find it. It's generally available only in small quantities, and around this time of year. It's made by Macallan.

Old Pulteney 21 - about $110 online. Recently rated the best scotch around by some critic on PRI
Old Nov 24, 2011, 2:29 pm

Highland Park 18, Oban 18, Talisker 18, Glengoyne 17, Glenfarclas 17, Glenmorangie 'Snow Phoenix' and any Balvenie 17. They've got many different barrel treatments these days. wj
Old Nov 28, 2011, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

new LA bar
http://tasteologie.notcot.org/post/9842/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.