Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Scotch - Best & Worst, recommendations, questions" thread

Consolidated "Scotch - Best & Worst, recommendations, questions" thread

Old Sep 15, 2011, 9:29 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
What are peoples' recommendations for the best cheap scotch? I usually use Chivas for this but am looking for alternatives.

To give an idea of what I like, my favorite scotch is probably Macallan 18 but I also like Glenlivet. I just don't like smoky peat bombs like Laphraoig...it tastes like I salvaged the bottle from my burnt down house.
I share your likes and dislikes. Alongside the pricier single malts in my liquor cabinet I keep a supply of Teacher's for nights when I'm feeling frugal. I like it better than Chivas, and it's cheaper.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 11:23 am

Singleton 12 is pretty cheap. Most of it goes into Chivas (or so say the salesmen). I'd take it over Livet or Fiddich. wj
Old Sep 20, 2011, 10:02 am

Programs: Many, slipping beneath the horizon
Offended by the pricing of some of the single malts, bottle or glass, I generally wade among the blends.

I grew up with Dewars ("White Label" in old New York), convinced that lips that sipped Cutty Sark shall not kiss mine. Of later years and after visits to the UK, I buy Famous Grouse for home use (when not trying to impress guests or myself), but recently was given a bottle of "John Barr", cheap and pleasantly satisfying. Grouse, for years almost unknown in the US, but a bar back standard in Scotland, does well for every day inventory. I suppose Chivas is good for something, but not regular drinking, over-priced and over-marketed.
Old Sep 21, 2011, 12:57 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN P+, Hertz President's Circle, Marriott Platinum Premier, Hilton Diamond
Peaty = Laphoig

Originally Posted by Yaatri
Thanks Starwood Lurker and divingdancer. Yes, I do have some reading to do, but I need to have something to drink with it.
Are these duty free prices?
I went through A beginner's guide to single malt whisky.

Buying one is a good suggestion. I do understand there are so many variables that determine the taste. I have only had the two I mentioned. I still don;t know what peatier means.
LAPHROAIG is the peatiest Scotch I know of. Try some and you'll see what I mean. Some people love it though!
Old Sep 21, 2011, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by FlyforSAP
LAPHROAIG is the peatiest Scotch I know of. Try some and you'll see what I mean. Some people love it though!
Yes, and it was the first single malt I ever tried.

I was afraid to touch single malts for awhile after that...
Old Sep 21, 2011, 3:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; UA 1K
Originally Posted by FlyforSAP
+1 on the peat. I will miss their 15yr once it's gone.
Old Oct 30, 2011, 12:37 am

Programs: AA LT PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by porsche534
+1 on the peat. I will miss their 15yr once it's gone.
Is the 18yr not as good? I just ordered a bottle of the 10yo...hope I'm up to the challenge.
Old Oct 30, 2011, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Old Pulteney 21

Anyone had it? Apparently my dad heard a story on it on NPR last week where they said it was thoroughly wonderful, so he ordered 3 bottles.
Old Oct 30, 2011, 9:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by broadwayblue
Is the 18yr not as good? I just ordered a bottle of the 10yo...hope I'm up to the challenge.
The 18 is fantastic as I recall. It is just a lot more expensive than the 15. The 10 is a bit harsh in my opinion.
Old Oct 30, 2011, 11:29 am

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
Anyone had it? Apparently my dad heard a story on it on NPR last week where they said it was thoroughly wonderful, so he ordered 3 bottles.
Just rated the #1 Whisky in the World by Jim Murray's Whisky Bible for 2012. Get it while you can because there's likely to be a run on this once the word gets out. Aged in a combination of Bourbon and Sherry casks, the 21 year has loads of dried apricots and a supple mouthfeel. The expression, which was created at the Pulteney distillery in Wick, Caithness, scored a record-equaling 97.5 points out of 100 and in doing so became only the third single malt to have claimed the title since its inception in 1994.

Guess the word is out. lol Any idea what he paid per bottle?
Old Oct 30, 2011, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
The 18 is fantastic as I recall. It is just a lot more expensive than the 15. The 10 is a bit harsh in my opinion.
Gotcha. Thanks.
Old Oct 30, 2011, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
Stupid expensive ! I think they're getting more than they used to for the 25. Bowmore 18 is still decently priced and I've become more than fond of Ardbeg 17 'Corryvreckan'. Balvenie 17 'Peated Cask' is tasty as well. wj
Old Oct 30, 2011, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just rated the #1 Whisky in the World by Jim Murray's Whisky Bible for 2012. Get it while you can because there's likely to be a run on this once the word gets out. Aged in a combination of Bourbon and Sherry casks, the 21 year has loads of dried apricots and a supple mouthfeel. The expression, which was created at the Pulteney distillery in Wick, Caithness, scored a record-equaling 97.5 points out of 100 and in doing so became only the third single malt to have claimed the title since its inception in 1994.

About $110 I think.
Old Oct 30, 2011, 8:04 pm

Does anyone have a reliable source in the US that has this in stock (Pulteney 21)?

I'm willing to try this. Any 21 year old under $100 is worth taking a chance on. I generally prefer Macallan 25 but that can run more than $500. I normally stick to Macallan 12. I'm on a UA flight in December where I'll be stuck with Dewars, shudder.
Old Oct 30, 2011, 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by zitsky
Does anyone have a reliable source in the US that has this in stock (Pulteney 21)?

I'm willing to try this. Any 21 year old under $100 is worth taking a chance on. I generally prefer Macallan 25 but that can run more than $500. I normally stick to Macallan 12. I'm on a UA flight in December where I'll be stuck with Dewars, shudder.
IMO, Highland Scotch's sweet spot is around 18 Yrs. The 25 Mac tastes more like sherry than scotch. Islay, with all that funk, can go double that easily, without tasting like the barrel treatment only. wj

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.