Old Dec 20, 2010, 10:24 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA, US, AS, Marriott, Radisson, Hilton
Bowmore Darkest is almost as beautiful as the young lady
I sat next on the plane today.
Old Dec 21, 2010, 12:36 am

Programs: QF WP, AC*G
Originally Posted by sobore
Taste report officially requested on the Laphroaig quarter cask.
Quarter Cask is amazing. I find it just a touch sweeter than the 10 but with all the peaty goodness.
Old Dec 21, 2010, 10:16 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, UA 1P
MacCutcheon 60 year. http://lostpedia.wikia.com/wiki/MacCutcheon_whisky

So what if one dram costs more than a month's salary?
Old Dec 21, 2010, 12:22 pm

Programs: AC*SE, SPG Gold, HH D
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; U; CPU OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I think Bowmore also makes a bottling called "Bowmore Darkest". You might check that out if you like Bowmore, which I certainly do.

Edited to add, Bowmore Darkest also mentioned favorably in post #67.
I poured out a small glass last night to resample, and was still not a huge fan. There's a prominent iodine note on the palate that I find extremely distasteful - it's the same reason I can't drink cab franc, it hits a part of my tongue and just dredges up this horrid medicinal taste.

Thankfully, the other islays like Lagavulin and Ardbeg don't have this failing, and I've yet to taste an older Bowmore, which I really should do.
Old Dec 21, 2010, 2:24 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I'm easy to please: The Glenlivet 12 (or 15/18 if someone else is paying ) on the rocks and a stick to stir it (just cause) for me.
Old Dec 21, 2010, 3:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by phedre
I poured out a small glass last night to resample, and was still not a huge fan. There's a prominent iodine note on the palate that I find extremely distasteful - it's the same reason I can't drink cab franc, it hits a part of my tongue and just dredges up this horrid medicinal taste.

Thankfully, the other islays like Lagavulin and Ardbeg don't have this failing, and I've yet to taste an older Bowmore, which I really should do.
I prefer the Bowmore 16 (I think that is the age) to the Darkest. Found the Darkest interesting though.
Old Dec 21, 2010, 5:31 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
what are people's opinions here on glenlivet 18? i picked up a bottle for only $53...
Old Dec 21, 2010, 5:37 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by reigndrop
what are people's opinions here on glenlivet 18? i picked up a bottle for only $53...
LOL. Here is one Scot's opinion: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/4991266-post10.html

Personally, I find it drinkable, not challenging, and you got it at a terrific price.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Dec 21, 2010, 6:18 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro
We stumbled upon Edradour. Even my non scotch loving hubby liked it. Smooth. I have nice converted him, though, so keeping a bottle of single malt around the house is difficult. WHY did I insist he try the good stuff? It used to be all mine!
Old Dec 23, 2010, 7:36 pm

deleted

Last edited by littlesheep; Jan 17, 2012 at 10:23 pm
Old Dec 24, 2010, 8:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; U; CPU OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

The Laphroaig quarter cask is quite nice. Less smokey than the 10 and a hefty iodine tone. I really liked it. Very complex and flavorful.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 3:10 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by littlesheep
Glenmorangie quinta ruban.

Glenmorangie 18.
Probably my all-time favorite, but a bit on the expensive side, so I don't get to indulge all that often.

Santa left a bottle of Caol Ila under the tree this year. ^

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Dec 27, 2010, 3:24 pm

Programs: ABP, Mr. Mom without the kids, Signor Mucci, DL PM, HH & Hyatt Diamond
I must have been bad this year as there were NO bottles under the tree or in my stocking. Guess I will have to go to Scotland to replenish my supplies.
Old Dec 30, 2010, 5:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
I'm just getting into scotch. A local friend stumbled across a Macallen 12 and a Kirkland Signature-branded Macallen 15 at one of our local Costcos. I did some reading online and found the KS to get some mixed reviews, but everyone unanimously agreed that The Macallen 18-year is a much better selection than both.

So, while dining at the Bridge Cafe in NYC and discovering their wonderful, very extensive scotch menu, I opted for a "taste" of the 18-year and enjoyed it immensely. It's a bit out of my price range to drink regularly, but based on the reviews of this thread, I might see if Costco still has the 12-year and see if it performs as an acceptable substitute for "everyday" enjoyment.

The first scotch I ever tasted (based on the recommendation of my aunt and bought at Trader Joe's) was Laphroaig. I could barely get the first sip down and had to give the rest to her (I'm sure she wasn't disappointed! ). It might be a bit harsh of a scotch to start out on, so while I remember it (from 4 years ago) being extremely strong and very peaty/smoky and not liking that very much, I wonder how I'd react to it now. Might have to try it again sometime.

Have had plenty of Glenlivet 12 in F on AS, though it's now rather unexciting in comparison to The Macallen.

Still figuring out what I like. I've found I appreciate good bourbons (though oddly I find I slightly prefer Maker's to Woodford), so I'm not sure I'm quite ready for the peaty/smoky Islay malts quite yet. Right now, my budget forces me to choose travel or scotch--not both--so I'm probably limited to what I can find in F and some airport lounges.

Last edited by jackal; Dec 30, 2010 at 7:57 pm
Old Dec 30, 2010, 8:18 am

Programs: ABP, Mr. Mom without the kids, Signor Mucci, DL PM, HH & Hyatt Diamond
If you are ever in Rome, Italy go to the Rome Cavalieri Hilton. Their lounge has an extensive offering of 70+ single malt Scotch Whiskys:

26 Islay Malts - Ardebeg
10 yrs, Ardebeg Lord of the Isles (aged in oak for 25 years - € 50)
Bowmore 8, 12 15, 17, 25 and 26 yr
Bowmore Darkest, Dusk, 1989 and 1990 Limited Editions
Bunnahabhain 18 and 25 yr
Lagavulin 16, 21 and 30 yr
Laphroaig 10 and 15 yr
Caol Ila 1990, 1991, 1993 and 1995
Port Ellen 27 and 28 yr
Auchentoshan 10 yrs
Auchentoshan Three Wood
Auchentoshan 18 yrs - 0nly 4800 bottles produced*
Auchentoshan 21 yrs
Rosebank 25 yrs - 0nly 4710 numbered bottles produced*
Cadenhead's Ardmore 19 yrs
Glenmorangie 10 yrs
Glenmorangie 15 yrs
Glenmorangie 30 yrs
Oban 14 yrs
Brora 30 yrs - 0nly 3000 numbered bottles produced*
Glenury Royal 36 yrs - 0nly 1900 bottles produced*
Dalwhinnie 20 yrs - 0nly 2400 bottles produced*

* - bottle count as stated on the Whisky Collection list

Prices range from € 13,00 - € 170,00 and the bartenders were not stingy on the pours.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.