Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Grilling" thread

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2016, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Duke787
^^ Thanks all for the help. Ended up going with the Spirit E-310, it was a bit of a splurge to get the 3rd burner but didn't break the bank (also in the process of buying new furniture, etc., so only so much to go around).

Lowe's was great - found a 10% off coupon online that stacked with the free delivery and assembly offer. Grill is already at the house and has been used once with excellent results!

Looking forward to many more outings this summer!
^ ^
Yea! Start using that bad boy every day! Happy grilling.
Old May 27, 2016, 7:46 am

Originally Posted by corky
Not a stupid question although I have not had that problem. Are you letting them rest before cutting into them --tent with foil when resting and make sure you aren't putting them on a cold plate from the grill. Another thought. ..start on indirect heat to slowly bring inside to rare and then move to direct side for the crust. Also. ...make sure they are room temp before grilling. I let sit out for 45 minutes to an hour. Lmk if any of that helps.
Most of that, yes. One thing I haven't done is throw them back on the grill for a minute right before serving. Will give that a try next time.

Originally Posted by DSI
But if I were grilling on a grill, I'd load it up with a massive amount of super hot coal, room temp prime steaks and tons of seasoning.
Can you routinely get prime steak in the USA for home cooking? I guess you can probably get anything if you order it. Not sure that I would want to fork out for prime if I didn't have the equipment (or technique) to do it justice.
Old May 27, 2016, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Costco regularly sells USDA Prime items. The selection of cuts is very limited - maybe 1 or 2, they usually have ribeyes at about $18.99 per pound.

Other more mainstream grocery stores like Publix have prime occasionally. Speciality butchers as well.
Old May 27, 2016, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
Costco regularly sells USDA Prime items. The selection of cuts is very limited - maybe 1 or 2, they usually have ribeyes at about $18.99 per pound.
I should have guessed that - really, is there anything Costco doesn't sell?

I hate going in Costco here because I can't get out without spending Ł200
Old May 27, 2016, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Direct vs radiant heat?

I'm in the LAX area temporarily and the Weber grills in the complex are all natural gas direct heat. Having trouble getting it up to sufficient temperature (evening wind doesn't help) to sear properly. No radiant heat as the flame is direct.

The grill regularly use is a Dynasty (now discontinued, last price of USD 3,400, I picked it up at a thrift shop for C$300) uses radiant heat (heat the lava rocks above the burner for 8-10 minutes, turn heat to low, and you have high heat that sears well).

How does one sear on a direct heat grill? I almost prefer to pan fry in a cast iron skillet at times.
Old May 27, 2016, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
I'm in the LAX area temporarily and the Weber grills in the complex are all natural gas direct heat. Having trouble getting it up to sufficient temperature (evening wind doesn't help) to sear properly. No radiant heat as the flame is direct.

The grill regularly use is a Dynasty (now discontinued, last price of USD 3,400, I picked it up at a thrift shop for C$300) uses radiant heat (heat the lava rocks above the burner for 8-10 minutes, turn heat to low, and you have high heat that sears well).

How does one sear on a direct heat grill? I almost prefer to pan fry in a cast iron skillet at times.
I have a natural gas weber and it gets plenty hot...will have to look at thermometer but I'd say 550 to 600. Chicken, fish, steak --I have no problem getting a nice crust on anything. I always pat my food dry before it hits the grill.
Old Jun 10, 2016, 2:27 pm

Nothing will get as hot as the Peter Luger type broilers, but kamado-type grills like my Big Green Egg get plenty hot for pizza & steaks. I've pegged the stock thermometer (750?) and that just becomes a blazing inferno. You only need a little bit of grill time at that heat.
Old Jun 10, 2016, 10:32 pm

Burgers always trick me when grilling. I never know how to tell when they are done. Does anyone have a good trick?
Old Jun 12, 2016, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by Olivia1
Burgers always trick me when grilling. I never know how to tell when they are done. Does anyone have a good trick?
I have pretty good luck with following the recommended timings I find online. Yesterday I went to the Borough Market and picked up Venison medallions and boneless quail, two things I've never grilled before. Did a few Google searches to find suggested grilling times and followed them to a tee. Both turned out perfectly without having to cut into them, and thanks to the suggestions about resting them in foil and throwing back on the grill before serving, they were perfect. Needless to say, I'm not an instinctive cook
Old Jun 12, 2016, 10:59 am

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
Burgers like any protein, your looking for a little char, to release the meat from the grill, give them a 45 turn, same time and flip them, 3 minutes on the first side means 3 minutes on the other side...the 45 turn us for presentation

I check for doneness with a thermometer or my thumb., and finish moving the meat to a cooler area of the grill, alway best to let it rest before serving...

Quail cooks very fast...a little oil will generate even faster heat..
Old May 27, 2023, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
If I grill, how long ahead should I remove the meat from the freezer and put into the fridge? Usually I try to remove the meat from fridge 30-60 minutes before grilling.
Old May 27, 2023, 5:09 pm

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
Originally Posted by gaobest
If I grill, how long ahead should I remove the meat from the freezer and put into the fridge? Usually I try to remove the meat from fridge 30-60 minutes before grilling.
Grilling isn't BBQ.

For me, 24 hours for steaks that arent't stacked on top of each other, less for sausages, and longer for whole tri tips, whole chickens, etc. Assuming you have a good seal, you can accelerate the thaw by putting the sealed bag into a pan of cool water.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.