Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Fast Food Chain You Absolutely Detest

Fast Food Chain You Absolutely Detest

Old Mar 12, 2006, 8:04 pm

I've gone hungry for hours rather than eat at McDonald's.

Convenient bathrooms though.
Old Mar 12, 2006, 8:15 pm

Programs: United-1K, Million Miler; SPG-Titanium and Lifetime Platinum; Globalist
Arby's, Taco Bell...anywhere that serves shredded lettuce.

The worst though is when they combine two or three in one, like KenTacoHut's...KFC, Taco Bell, and Pizza Hut in one. If I want fried chicken, the last thing I want to smell is Mexican or pizza.

The worst combination I've seen is a combo Dunkin' Donuts and Blimpie's subs. Bologna and bavarian cream donuts just do not work together.
Old Mar 12, 2006, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
There are 2 chains that appear to be exclusive to Alabama: Jacks and Milo's. Milos's burgers come with some nasty sauce, possibly used engine oil, that made my first visit my last.
Old Mar 12, 2006, 8:39 pm

Programs: SWN, UAL, AA, DL
Originally Posted by mosburger
Dunkin' donuts - This goes for other donut terrorists as well. Perfectly sane people get addicted to sugar coated rings of fat...
I'm addicted to their coffee! I buy their beans and make it at home!

Steve
Old Mar 12, 2006, 8:45 pm

Programs: Delta Silver, UA Premier, National Executive, Hilton Gold
Definately KFC, Hardees, Jack in the Box...
Old Mar 12, 2006, 9:06 pm

Programs: AS, BA, AF, SPG and Tivo!
Carls Jr. grosses me out.
Old Mar 12, 2006, 9:19 pm

Wendy's!

I've only been twice in all the years they've been around. And there was a 10 year lapse and two different states where I tried to eat a hamburger.

Both times the meat tasted tainted to me.

Ugh, makes me want to puke just thinking of it.

Rita
Old Mar 12, 2006, 9:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1.1MM, CX Diam 1.0MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC, MGM Pearl
Originally Posted by ButIsItArt
...the devotion of East Coast folks to Dunkin' Dunno single-handledly erases claims that the East Coast is the most culturally advanced region of the US...
Their coffee is awful. Either take it black or don't. Even with that sometimes, I'd rather take $3.00/cup coffee from Starbucks than deal with Dunkin Donuts
Old Mar 12, 2006, 9:47 pm

Programs: CO PLT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by ElmhurstNick
The five I hate:
Burger King
Long John Silver
Church's Fried Chicken
Sbarro
Jack in the Garbage Can

McDonald's used to be redeemed because of their hash browns at breakfast. Now they changed the coating, and it's like sandpaper. Now I'm down to the occasional steak bagel (extra onions and extra pepper), the very occasional Filet-o-Fish, and a weekly pair of 99c Double Cheeseburgers (no mustard). I cant eat their larger burgers, their chicken, or their salads.
Here in the Chicagoland area we have the steak bagels. There are a lot of markets that do not carry the steak bagels and far more where they do not carry breakfast bagel sandwiches at all. They all do, however, carry those atrocious, disgusting "McGriddles" things. I wouldn't use one of those to test a sewage grinder.

My answer to the OP's question: A typical trip for me: Up at 3:30 AM to meet the car service at 4:30AM to get to O' Hare at 5:15 AM for a 6:00 AM flight. Restaurants don't open up in Dick Daley's House of Union Waste and Government Mismanagement until well after we're in the air, so it's Mc Grease on the way to the gate.

A tight connection in IAH (CO) or MSP (NW) means that it's fast food there or nothing. Land in, say, PDX at 11AM and I have to get right in the car and make the two hour drive to Albany and then another hour to the mountaintop transmitter site. BY then I have less thean three hours of daylight before I have to pack up and leave the mountain with some light left. So, it's fast food or nothing else until dinner. As much as I hate fast food, you grab what you can and make the best of it.

I have become a conoisseur of heart-attack-in-a-sack. Mc Donald's fries used to be better before someone trying to save me from myself sued them into changing the oil. I miss the McDLT. Burker King's whoppers have changed and I'm not sure how but they used to be a lot better. Jack In The Box has the best vanilla milkshakes. Sonic's strawberry limeade is worth the airfare into a market where they HAVE Sonics. I think Del Taco is a plot by Castro to kill capitalists one bag at a time. Wendy's has gone from hot 'n' juicy to cold 'n' greasy. KFC should go back to the 11 herbs and spices and stop trying to be everythign to all people. I believe that you cannot eat over $6 worth of Taco Bell in one sitting. $10 at Taco Bell feeds a family of 5. Subway lost its roots as well. Every chain has its up and downs. But my one single absolutely most infuriating issue with ANY fast food chain is when you don't get your order right because YOU DON'T SPEAK SPANISH, or you find yourself repeating everything over and over again, or having to use a picture menu and point at what you want BECAUSE YOU DON'T SPEAK SPANISH.

Okay, rant over. Let the flames begin.

--PP
Old Mar 12, 2006, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by VideoPaul
Here in the Chicagoland area we have the steak bagels. There are a lot of markets that do not carry the steak bagels and far more where they do not carry breakfast bagel sandwiches at all. They all do, however, carry those atrocious, disgusting "McGriddles" things. I wouldn't use one of those to test a sewage grinder.
I'm the opposite.. the steak bagels come out of you like a brick, and hence I found out they ain't good for a roadtrip.

The McGriddles, however, are fantastic! The San Diego area was one of the test markets, and boy did I love it. I have them make an off-menu item though... I have them use HAM/egg/cheese. Tastes better, and way less greasy than sausage. I usually have to order "Sausage&Egg McGriddle, hold the sausage, add ham" for them to get it right though.
Old Mar 13, 2006, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by mjcewl1284
Their coffee is awful. Either take it black or don't. Even with that sometimes, I'd rather take $3.00/cup coffee from Starbucks than deal with Dunkin Donuts
I seriously don't understand the devotion to Dumpy Donuts coffee...like you I'd rather go to the Buck, or even better, go back to my office and make some Longjing tea ^ . But somethings endure on the East Coast despite their time having come and gone, such as DD's coffee; A&P's; and Breezewood, Pennsylvania.
Old Mar 13, 2006, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Back to UA, missing DL; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by VideoPaul
Restaurants don't open up in Dick Daley's House of Union Waste and Government Mismanagement until well after we're in the air, so it's Mc Grease on the way to the gate.
I think we should lobby for a name change.
Old Mar 13, 2006, 12:27 pm

Programs: AS,UA
It's food, you eat it and dump it off in the toliet when it goes down your throat so I can really eat any of them
Old Mar 13, 2006, 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by lebowski2222
It's food, you eat it and dump it off in the toliet when it goes down your throat so I can really eat any of them
Yes, but some restaurants seem to believe in recycling it relatively unchanged.
Old Mar 14, 2006, 12:19 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, UA 1P, CO Elite
Easy...Jack in the Box

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.