Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Ever had a good sub at Subway?

Ever had a good sub at Subway?

Old Sep 20, 2016, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by kipper
Near where I work, there is an Italian restaurant that does decent subs, but they charge $6 for a 6-inch sub. There are no bakeries within walking distance. I think part of the issue is that here, many bakeries are bakeries only. They do breads, cakes, pies, etc. They do not dabble in lunch-type foods. If you want lunch-type foods, you need to go to a deli, and those usually do not bake their own bread.
Just a footnote: Subway Nine Grain bread is "certified" whole grain. Most of the sandwich joints in the areas where I work don't offer whole grain. It's "wheat" bread, or some such, often the same stuff they use for cookies, cakes, pies... I just wish is was suitable for strict vegetarians, but that's just me.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 4:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by 365RoadWarrior
Just a footnote: Subway Nine Grain bread is "certified" whole grain. Most of the sandwich joints in the areas where I work don't offer whole grain. It's "wheat" bread, or some such, often the same stuff they use for cookies, cakes, pies... I just wish is was suitable for strict vegetarians, but that's just me.
Interesting.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 10:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
I just had a Subway sandwich. First one in many years. Still as awful as ever, even with the brand "refresh". I see it's having real trouble, which isn't surprising. Until they learn the basis of a good sandwich is quality bread they will struggle.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 5:20 am

Originally Posted by bensyd
I just had a Subway sandwich. First one in many years. Still as awful as ever, even with the brand "refresh". I see it's having real trouble, which isn't surprising. Until they learn the basis of a good sandwich is quality bread they will struggle.
When I walk by one and am hungry, it smells so good, but I've learned that it will never taste that good.
dddc likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
I haven't been in one for years. And I'm sure the last thing I ordered was tuna which is meh at best there. But, I was let down at Panera yesterday. First time ordering tuna there. It was soggy and bland. The bread was awesome. But the filling was more mayonnaise than anything else (which seems to consist of only tuna). I want onions and celery and pickles and I want to taste the tomato. The older I get, the more I disapprove of sandwiches someone else has made.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Subway's problem is their bread--it's horrible. Their competitors have much better bread (Jimmy Johns in particular).
readywhenyouare likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by enviroian
Subway's problem is their bread--it's horrible. Their competitors have much better bread (Jimmy Johns in particular).
It's stale on top of being too full of air. Whatever their rule for throwing out rolls, they need to subtract about 6 hours from it. I think Subway's problem is their growth. There are almost 45,000 stores. Surely that has cut down on sales per store and leaves franchisees looking for opportunities to cut cost. I'll still order from Jimmy Johns, Jersey Mike's, Firehouse, Jason's, Panera and any number of small independents. Subway? I'll probably never buy anything from them again.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by BamaVol
It's stale on top of being too full of air
You're right--the top is stale. They are baking it too long? You'd think by seeing fresh loaves come out of that oven they would be good but they're crap.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 10:32 am

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
Locally, we can get sourdough bread at Subway that for me, is the only decent bread they have. The BMT on sourdough is pretty good but pales in comparison to anything similar at Jersey Mike's.

We used to have a different $6 footlong depending on the day of the week, and these included a BMT day (and a tuna day that wasn't half bad either). Now, just three subs are $6 every day of the week - cold cut, meatball and something else I can't remember. Ugh...
Old Aug 17, 2019, 3:47 pm

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
I reached my breaking point with Subway a couple of years ago. Went in to an empty store. Girl behind the counter was so unresponsive, as if I'd interrupted her mobile phone time. Started building my sub with just a scattering of salad items. I asked for some more tomatoes. She put one on. I asked for more corn, olives and gherkins. She sprinkled a few more on. I told her at the start I didn't want it toasted but she took it to the grill until I stopped her.

Came time to pay and I whipped out my AMEX card. We don't take AMEX she said, the first bit of reaction I'd had from her. Oh, sorry, I don't have any other cards with me. Let me go to ATM and get some cash........ Of course I never went back in!!

Years ago there was a store beneath where I worked at the time and I can't remember if it was web ordering or via screen in store and you could request extra veges for no extra cost. I pimped my sub with everything going and it was plump. No hesitations back then. The miserly portions being handed out on my last few visits made me never to go in again. Nearly did 2 weeks ago when I walked past one as smelt the baking bread, but kept walking and bought off a local stall in a market instead. Cheaper and tastier!!
Old Aug 17, 2019, 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by dddc
I reached my breaking point with Subway a couple of years ago. Went in to an empty store. Girl behind the counter was so unresponsive, as if I'd interrupted her mobile phone time. Started building my sub with just a scattering of salad items. I asked for some more tomatoes. She put one on. I asked for more corn, olives and gherkins. She sprinkled a few more on. I told her at the start I didn't want it toasted but she took it to the grill until I stopped her.

Came time to pay and I whipped out my AMEX card. We don't take AMEX she said, the first bit of reaction I'd had from her. Oh, sorry, I don't have any other cards with me. Let me go to ATM and get some cash........ Of course I never went back in!!

Years ago there was a store beneath where I worked at the time and I can't remember if it was web ordering or via screen in store and you could request extra veges for no extra cost. I pimped my sub with everything going and it was plump. No hesitations back then. The miserly portions being handed out on my last few visits made me never to go in again. Nearly did 2 weeks ago when I walked past one as smelt the baking bread, but kept walking and bought off a local stall in a market instead. Cheaper and tastier!!
Subway had corn as a topping?
Old Aug 17, 2019, 6:53 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
I know the OP was from ages ago, but my answer is still: No!
Old Aug 18, 2019, 1:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by enviroian
You're right--the top is stale. They are baking it too long? You'd think by seeing fresh loaves come out of that oven they would be good but they're crap.
But those loaves are delivered as frozen bread dough. There's nothing really fresh about the whole operation. I've got so many good bread options around me – places that literally use flour, water, salt and yeast – that Subway bread just looks and tastes like some awful Frankenbread. How hard can it seriously be to make fresh simple bread? And then we can get on to the "meatballs" that are 65% meat.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 2:45 am

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Originally Posted by kipper
Subway had corn as a topping?
They do in the UK.

There's an ad campaign on at the moment say how they have 21 new and improved ingredients. Maybe they should have used better wording than this to describe the "improved" ingredients....

*Enhanced menu item from old Subway ingredients
Old Aug 18, 2019, 5:41 am

But those loaves are delivered as frozen bread dough. There's nothing really fresh about the whole operation. I've got so many good bread options around me – places that literally use flour, water, salt and yeast – that Subway bread just looks and tastes like some awful Frankenbread. How hard can it seriously be to make fresh simple bread? And then we can get on to the "meatballs" that are 65% meat.
Have you met some of the employees there? Do you think they can make fresh bread that isn't frozen bread dough?
Originally Posted by dddc
They do in the UK.

There's an ad campaign on at the moment say how they have 21 new and improved ingredients. Maybe they should have used better wording than this to describe the "improved" ingredients....

LOL

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.