Consolidated "Indian Food and Restaurants" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Indian Food and Restaurants" thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2008, 5:01 pm
formerly known as daveland

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Delta Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by mjo768
Pongal in New York City is amazing, if you get a chance. It's in Murray hill. Try the "creamed wheat" crepe with a meal.
Please note that Pongal is a vegetarian restaurant. Very good veg food, but carnivortarians (as I classify myself!) might be disappointed
Old Apr 13, 2008, 11:47 am

I loved several Indian places in the DC area. Indique in Cleveland Park and Bombay Curry in Alexandria were probably my two favorites, although I never went to some of the more expensive places (Bombay Club, Rasika, etc.).

Here in Ann Arbor, I am a big fan of Shalimar. It's one of the few ethnic places I've found in AA that matches the quality of ethnic food in DC.
Old Apr 13, 2008, 12:09 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 100k
I have found great difficulty in getting Indian food in the USA with a spiciness level that I grew up with in the UK.

In some places, telling the waiter that you're English is helpful in this respect, but in many cases increasing the spiciness level requested seems to just result in a very 1-dimensional increase in "heat", rather than the deep, balanced spiciness of a hot curry at a good Indian resteraunt in the UK.

When we lived in the Seattle area, we found a couple of good places with a range of menu items to our tastes, but we haven't found anywhere in SoCal; the places that get good reviews are terribly bland, and the place I have been with Indian co-workers are, while suitably spicy, just a bit too authentic.

I haven't tried Monsoon yet - it's a bit of a drive; maybe I should.
Old Apr 13, 2008, 3:02 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Southwest A-List Preferred
Originally Posted by Quaker325
I loved several Indian places in the DC area. Indique in Cleveland Park and Bombay Curry in Alexandria were probably my two favorites, although I never went to some of the more expensive places (Bombay Club, Rasika, etc.).
Live just down the street from Indique, and I like it a bunch. I can also say that Delhi Dhaba near the Van Ness metro stop is dynamite and VERY cheap. In fact, I've got food from them en route via Foodler.com!
Old Apr 13, 2008, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by Amjiv
To the person who asked above - Tanzore in Beverly Hills IS excellent! It has a great combination of ambiance, service and food (unusual for indian restaurants!).

Also in LA, if you visit Cerritos (Little India), you can find many varieties of Indian food other than North Indian food (what you find at most Indian restaurants in the U.S.). Udipi Palace in Cerritos is terrific for South Indian idlis and dosas
My source lives in Cerritos--I've never heard her mention any restaurants there, but as I said, she can be very picky. I should ask her about Udipi Palace.
Old Apr 15, 2008, 12:12 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Diamond
rasoi in st. louis is fairly good -- deep flavors, some fusion cuisine -- but nothing like i've gotten used to in ireland/UK.
Old Apr 15, 2008, 12:19 pm

Programs: AA 1MM, AF Plat, VS Gold, Hyatt Glob, Sixt Diamond, Avis Presidents Club
Tiffin Wallah on 28th and Lex in NYC is great. It also has a $6 lunch buffet that can't be beat. www.tiffinwallah.us
Old Apr 22, 2008, 9:48 pm

Programs: Amex Biz Cent, Marriott LTP, Avis PC, Hilton Owners Diamond, AS MVP
Funny I should stumble upon this thread when I did, one of the other forums I'm on was also having a similar discussion today.

In the SF Bay area I would highly recommend Pakwan. There are 2 locations in downtown SF, and a couple in the south bay outskirts. My family and I have been going here for as long as we can remember. Everytime somebody visits from Seattle, this place is a definite stop on the list.

In Santa Clara, Kabab and Curry is a great place. Always packed, mainly a to-go business for locals

It's been a while since I've been to an Indian restaurant in downtown Seattle, but if you ever find yourself in the Eastside area (Kirkland specifically), Tandoori Kitchen is a definite stop for me when I'm at home.
Old Apr 23, 2008, 10:53 am

Programs: UA Premier
Tanjore in Harvard Square, Cambridge is a favorite of mine.
Old Apr 23, 2008, 10:19 pm
AMA

I was romping around Berkeley a few weeks ago, noticed that 2/3 of the restaurants I saw were Indian/Pakastani. Don't know if any/many are any good, as one I dropped in on totally ignored me(big pet peeve of mine), so I walked out. Another I'd scouted on the web was closed.

Must be lots of Indian transplants over in the East Bay.
Old Apr 24, 2008, 10:38 am

Programs: Demoted to gold, Cats protection
Originally Posted by dgwright99
I have found great difficulty in getting Indian food in the USA with a spiciness level that I grew up with in the UK.

In some places, telling the waiter that you're English is helpful in this respect, but in many cases increasing the spiciness level requested seems to just result in a very 1-dimensional increase in "heat", rather than the deep, balanced spiciness of a hot curry at a good Indian resteraunt in the UK.
We had to do mention that we were English to get a nice spicy meal as well, the food we had before we discovered this was kind of bland but not unpleasant
best Gagan Bistro, Marlton NJ
Old Apr 26, 2008, 5:39 am

Programs: ba miles
Anyone know of a good Indian restuarant in Hilton Head?
Old Apr 27, 2008, 9:39 pm

Chicago, IL

Bhabhi's Kitchen is very highly rated, and much better than other many others on Devon St. in Chicago. Its just around the corner on Oakley (and Devon).

Uru Swati is a vegetarian south indian type, kind of fast food place, which is very good. They also serve some decent north indian dishes.

Klay Oven is in downtown Chicago, more ambient but looks a little less authentic place, which is also decent.

Inchin's Bamboo Garden is an Indian chinese place, which several of my friends like. They have excellent food if you like yours spicy.

Last edited by vrbaba; Apr 27, 2008 at 9:42 pm Reason: added city title
Old Apr 27, 2008, 9:41 pm

Daytona Beach, FL

Neelam on Atlantic Ave. is excellent. Its not well known, and not as big, but food tastes authentic without the excess grease that many other (bad) indian restaurants tend to add.
Old Apr 28, 2008, 10:27 am

Tabla in NYC

I have always been happy with Tabla in New York
http://tablanyc.com/

Amazing food and service.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.