Where to buy mangosteens in USA?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where to buy mangosteens in USA?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2010, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by stevechin
Apparently they grow one (or try) at the Fullerton Arboretum in Orange County, CA. I read this in the Orange County Register today. Here's an exerpt from an article about the cold spell we've been having.

"Arboretum workers had been worried about the freeze, primarily about the tropical and subtropical plants, like a mangosteen from Southeast Asia, that seemed unlikely to survive even normal winters in Fullerton.

"But here it is, just doing fine," Dyment points out. Arboretum experts learned some lessons from the freeze, he said, including that plants like the mangosteen, which were surrounded by other vegetation, were protected from the cold."

The full article is:http://www.ocregister.com/ocregister...le_1551116.php
I think registration is required, but it's free.

So I guess you can grow them in CA, albeit difficult.

Steve
Hey steve, do you know if that tree is still there at the csfa? I wonder if its giving any fruits yet?
Old Jun 14, 2010, 12:18 pm

hey steve, do you know if the mangosteen tree is still there at the csfa? i wonder if it ever gave any fruits?
Old Jun 14, 2010, 1:54 pm

Programs: AA,DL,BA,UA,SPG, and any other free trip!
Uwajimaya carries them here in Portland, Ore...but they go really fast!....at $2.00 each, they still sell out of them quick!

Last edited by mrx900; Jun 14, 2010 at 1:57 pm Reason: carrieS...not carried
Old Jun 14, 2010, 2:16 pm

Programs: AA Explat, UA former 1K + PremExec, DL
They've been available for the past couple of years in the lower 48... I believe that they've been irradiated to kill pests. About $6 a pound in the SF Bay Area- try Chinatowns or Asian markets like Ranch 99. Had about the taste and texture that I expected, not having tried them before in Asia. I could believe that it's not as good. Now, if I could get a good chomphu/wax apple/rose apple...
Old Jun 14, 2010, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by inlandrev
You can find there in California at 99 Ranch markets certain time of the year.
Any idea when the season is/seasons are when they're most likely to be found? There's a 99 Ranch around here, and I don't go regularly, but I'd like to try one.
Old Jun 14, 2010, 4:51 pm

Programs: AA,DL,BA,UA,SPG, and any other free trip!
i got them on Petaling street in KL...there was a hawker selling them....not sure how much it was, but I know it wasn't anywhere near what they sell for here in the states........boy, they were juicy...a perfect dessert right after that grilled chicken from Nando's hehe
Old Jun 15, 2010, 12:10 pm

I've seen mangosteens at the Vietnamese groceries in Little Saigon in Westminster, CA. In particular one grocery in a large Vietnamese strip mall on Bolsa.
Old Jun 15, 2010, 12:44 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Saw them the other day on Mott Street in Manhattan (Chinatown).
Old Jun 15, 2010, 7:29 pm

is this a mangosteen tree?

is this a mangosteen tree?

Old Jun 17, 2010, 11:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
Looks like a very well groomed red tip photina to me

Almost like the one in my yard except....trimmed up and groing up like a tree(like my parents)
Old Jun 18, 2010, 3:15 am

Originally Posted by Steph3n
Looks like a very well groomed red tip photina to me

Almost like the one in my yard except....trimmed up and groing up like a tree(like my parents)

Hmm? What about this one?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.