Wiki Posts
Search

They don't take Amex -- What do you do?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2017, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by work2fly
I can deal with small businesses not taking Amex - although I suspect my CSR costs them almost as much.

What really tees me off are businesses that are cash only, and have an ATM for my 'convenience'. Seriously, they won't pay a 20-25 cent commission on my $10 order, but will gleefully accept $2-$3 for me to use their ATM.

Maybe this has nothing to do with the credit card commissions and more to do with keeping revenue off the books and tax returns...
Being cash only at least means that said business is actually putting their money where their mouth is, unlike a lot of places that try to have their cake and eat it too (charging extra for using cards and/or disallowing them under $10, for example).

As for AmEx not being accepted, keep in mind that some/most businesses likely pay a lot less in aggregate for Visa/MC once debit cards are taken into account. Despite the US having a reputation for being a heavy user of credit, debit cards are still used far more often outside of groups such as FT; those also cost less to run than credit cards. For some businesses, AmEx might very well add little value relative to their extra cost, especially nearly all people with one probably have at least a debit card on them as well.
Old Jun 10, 2017, 6:48 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by tmiw
Being cash only at least means that said business is actually putting their money where their mouth is, unlike a lot of places that try to have their cake and eat it too (charging extra for using cards and/or disallowing them under $10, for example).

As for AmEx not being accepted, keep in mind that some/most businesses likely pay a lot less in aggregate for Visa/MC once debit cards are taken into account. Despite the US having a reputation for being a heavy user of credit, debit cards are still used far more often outside of groups such as FT; those also cost less to run than credit cards. For some businesses, AmEx might very well add little value relative to their extra cost, especially nearly all people with one probably have at least a debit card on them as well.
Debit cards can actually cost a business MORE on smaller transactions, especially in the world of reduced interchange fees. A 35 cent debit fee means you need to hit $10 before it makes financial sense for the business.

Originally Posted by work2fly
I can deal with small businesses not taking Amex - although I suspect my CSR costs them almost as much.

What really tees me off are businesses that are cash only, and have an ATM for my 'convenience'. Seriously, they won't pay a 20-25 cent commission on my $10 order, but will gleefully accept $2-$3 for me to use their ATM.

Maybe this has nothing to do with the credit card commissions and more to do with keeping revenue off the books and tax returns...
AMEX cuts deals with small businesses and Square makes AMEX acceptance pretty cheap as well. There aren't nearly as many excuses anymore.

I do agree on cash only. Any remotely savvy business knows that the overall costs of handling cash can actually be more expensive. It is strictly a way to avoid paying taxes, or even to make an extra bit by pocketing sales tax.

Originally Posted by darthbimmer
Wow. This thread was dead for nearly 12 years until unearthed recently. Where do people find these? I mean, do people search and then say, "Hmm, 352 results, I wonder what the LAST one is. I'm'a click over to page 24 in the list here...."
Maybe they did a search and it popped up?
Old Jun 11, 2017, 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
For me, it's pretty simple... if the place doesn't take Amex, it's off the list. I usually carry a MC also, so at least I can finish the transaction... but then it's off the list. Places that take cash only, I will just walk out.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 1:12 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
For the most part, cash only is a non-starter for me. There are exceptions, but they're that: Exceptions.

Aside from that I've got a hierarchy of cards that I tend to prefer (or not prefer, as the case may be) and only one is an Amex (I've got an Amex, a Visa, and a MC in the mix...I've always at least had a Visa and a Mastercard with me since my first trip to Canada when Mastercard was all a lot of places took.

As to how things come up, sometimes Google comes up with the strangest hits for a string.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 10:59 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
Pull out Visa Infinite, hit them with the highest possible interchange fees because they deserve it
Old Jun 27, 2017, 5:47 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by darthbimmer

I get that this can be more of a nuisance for some people. For example, if I were traveling on business with instructions to use a company Amex card, using a personal Visa/MC could add an extra step or two to the expense claims process. I could well see choosing a different restaurant-- assuming an alternative that takes Amex is nearby-- to avoid the difficulty.
Nope, not a nuisance. I'd actually go to that restaurant more often. It's maybe one extra mouse click to expense on my own card, but I have to have a reason to not use the company Amex, which accrues no points for me.

I also don't mind paying cash, if it's a smaller amount. Saves those warning letters from Amex when I'm a little late on submitting a few minor expenses .
Old Jul 17, 2017, 1:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Originally Posted by msp3
Pull out Visa Infinite, hit them with the highest possible interchange fees because they deserve it
That's what I do!

If they don't take AmEx and it's really inconvenient to walk out and go to another shop that takes Amex:

• Keep my order value to the minimum and lowest margin items (no drinks, no extras, etc..)
  • Use the most premium (Mastercard World Elite or Visa Infinite) card in my wallet, handing the card in such a way that the owner/manager can most likely see that it's a premium card.
  • Leave a negative comment/review on Yelp/Facebook, noting the fact that they don't accept AmEx
  • Report the business to AmEx at http://takeamex.ca so that they can engage the restaurant/shop about its non-acceptance of AmEx cards.

Last edited by MasterGeek; Jul 17, 2017 at 1:59 pm
Old Jul 18, 2017, 10:41 am

Programs: AA Gold, Alaska MVP; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
Chase Sapphire Reserve is my way to go for dining spend, so I'm perfectly happy if they don't take Amex.

Worst is when places (mostly outside of the US) say they take credit card but come time to pay, their "machines don't work", and they force you to pay cash.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by MasterGeek
That's what I do!

If they don't take AmEx and it's really inconvenient to walk out and go to another shop that takes Amex:

• Keep my order value to the minimum and lowest margin items (no drinks, no extras, etc..)
  • Use the most premium (Mastercard World Elite or Visa Infinite) card in my wallet, handing the card in such a way that the owner/manager can most likely see that it's a premium card.
  • Leave a negative comment/review on Yelp/Facebook, noting the fact that they don't accept AmEx
  • Report the business to AmEx at http://takeamex.ca so that they can engage the restaurant/shop about its non-acceptance of AmEx cards.
Talk about passive aggressive. It might be more productive to talk to the Manager. And, incidentally, your tactic won't work in most countries where each different brand has just one rate.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by knit-in
Worst is when places (mostly outside of the US) say they take credit card but come time to pay, their "machines don't work", and they force you to pay cash.
my personal favorite is the restaurant with an amex sticker on the door and amex bill wallets, who come back with your card and say "we don't take amex."
Old Jul 22, 2017, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MasterGeek
Leave a negative comment/review on Yelp/Facebook, noting the fact that they don't accept AmEx
= why yelp is pointless (sometimes negative without noting things like this)

Originally Posted by crabbing
my personal favorite is the restaurant with an amex sticker on the door and amex bill wallets, who come back with your card and say "we don't take amex."
wallets make sense, would be odd if on the door
Old Jul 23, 2017, 12:50 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
If I like a place, I'll go back despite a lack of AMEX acceptance. If I find it nothing special, it will be in the back of my mind.

Originally Posted by msp3
LOL. I wonder how many places know the no AMEX policy can actually hurt them in these situations?

Originally Posted by knit-in

If they say their machines don't work, I say "sorry, I don't have enough cash." They find a way.

Originally Posted by crabbing
Yeah, this is a big pet peeve. My default is usually AMEX, and these two things are what I look for - specifically to avoid the "oh, sorry, we don't take AMEX."

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri

wallets make sense, would be odd if on the door
Neither makes sense, and I've seen both.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by N1120A
Neither makes sense, and I've seen both.
wallets can be given out. door sign must be to trick people, or laziness.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
wallets can be given out. door sign must be to trick people, or laziness.
They are both false advertising, especially the door sign.

I don't understand why more places don't take advantage of Shop Small.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 1:18 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Amex vs. Sapphire Reserve Visa

Sorry, but I NEVER use Amex when I can use my Chase Sapphire Reserve Visa. The Visa has far better benefits in terms of points at restaurants than Amex, and you're only hurting yourself by using Amex. Of course, if your employer forces you to use their corporate Amex card, or you can't apply for the Sapphire Reserve Visa in your country, that's different and not something you can fix.

Last edited by DCBob; Jul 23, 2017 at 1:23 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.