Search

Consolidated "Best Restaurants in the World" thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2018, 8:43 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by DSI
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for NY for four adults and three kids. Somewhere less fussy but good and something unique (i.e. not a steakhouse like Keens, etc). My initial thought was Cosme, which is somewhat casual and loud, which I absolutely love but we want to try somewhere new. Same thoughts Estella. We've already been to the traditional top restaurants like Per Se, EMP, etc... but those are all a bit too quiet and way too formal.

Good cocktails or a place near a good bar, like Blind Tiger for beer even.

We're renting a loft in Tribeca so something relatively close is a huge plus.

I don't want it fit the traditional mode of top, as in fussy or expensive, but good and I know there are some really knowledgeable people on this thread. In fact, I find that the traditionally top places are underwhelming and a bit stale and boring
Union Square Cafe or Gramercy Tavern come to mind. They have amazing service that isn’t formal. They put you at ease. Food at both are fantastic with Gramercy Tavern being the more “fancy” of the two with a set menu.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 11:51 am

I'm taking some out of town friends to Atoboy next weekend, their requirements were exactly like yours! There's a child involved too, so I called and confirmed they do have highchairs. It's not in Tribeca but may be worth the cab ride!

If you prefer to stay in Tribeca I'd recommend: Frenchette, La Mercerie, Locanda Verde, or Tetsu, or maybe Le Coucou if you go closer to Soho. All decent places on the casual end.

Originally Posted by DSI
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for NY for four adults and three kids. Somewhere less fussy but good and something unique (i.e. not a steakhouse like Keens, etc). My initial thought was Cosme, which is somewhat casual and loud, which I absolutely love but we want to try somewhere new. Same thoughts Estella. We've already been to the traditional top restaurants like Per Se, EMP, etc... but those are all a bit too quiet and way too formal.

Good cocktails or a place near a good bar, like Blind Tiger for beer even.

We're renting a loft in Tribeca so something relatively close is a huge plus.

I don't want it fit the traditional mode of top, as in fussy or expensive, but good and I know there are some really knowledgeable people on this thread. In fact, I find that the traditionally top places are underwhelming and a bit stale and boring
Old Oct 25, 2018, 2:26 pm
DSI
formerly declinespecificinformatiom

Many thanks! I’ll look these all up!
Old Dec 28, 2018, 2:56 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
I started a summary thread to list the highs and lows of our Michelin/San Pellegrino level fine dining year for anyone interested. I’d love to see what people see as their best and worst fine dining experiences for the year.

2018 Michelin/Pellegrino Level Restaurant Highs and Lows
Old Dec 28, 2018, 3:07 pm

The pastas at locanda Verde are divine IMO, skip the entrees. Le coucou is awesome as well.

Originally Posted by jbeans
I'm taking some out of town friends to Atoboy next weekend, their requirements were exactly like yours! There's a child involved too, so I called and confirmed they do have highchairs. It's not in Tribeca but may be worth the cab ride!

If you prefer to stay in Tribeca I'd recommend: Frenchette, La Mercerie, Locanda Verde, or Tetsu, or maybe Le Coucou if you go closer to Soho. All decent places on the casual end.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 10:33 am
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Vespertine in Los Angeles: loved it!

So we finally had the opportunity for dinner at the highly lauded but wildly polarizing Vespertine in Los Angeles. It was a special event sponsored by Marriott, so the tasting menu was slightly abridged and the regular introduction to dinner on the upper terrace was done slightly differently than normal. But we also had an opportunity to meet and speak with Chef Kahn.

We loved it. The food, the wine pairings, the service, the ambience, the building, the music, the views, the pacing. Everything was superb.

Considering how supposedly “weird” this restaurant is, we found it not nearly that weird. Having dined only a few weeks ago at Atelier Crenn in San Francisco and several years ago at Alinea (Kahn used to work there), Vespertine was not nearly as avant garde as some had pronounced. Yet the creations were majestically beautiful, always unique, with combinations and new flavor assortments like I’d never had before. The critique that the food is too much like art was subjourned by its complexity and almost ubiquitous deliciousness—that more than a few times crept up on you, almost surprising you pleasantly after a first bite or two that left you curious. The food was most definitely surprising. A few dishes were presented in dishware that precluded us from really seeing what we were eating, and that for us was the only “weird” part of our dinner, actually.

We’d also read that service could be heartless and cold, but we experienced nothing of the sort. Service was a bit formal by LA standards, but the servers smiled, were friendly and knowledgeable. And they certainly wanted to see us enjoy our meal. We kidded around with a few of them, and they responded in kind.

We’d return in in a heartbeat.

Last edited by bhrubin; Jan 11, 2019 at 10:41 am
Old Jan 23, 2019, 8:32 am

Just got back from a weekend in CDMX, checked out Pujol and Quintonil.

Pujol -- We opted for the "taco omakase" (probably a mistake), the tacos were very good but nothing out of this world. The price is a "bargain" for a world's best restaurant, but we still thought it was overpriced for what we ate. If I'm in the area again I might go back to Pujol to try their regular tasting menu.

Quintonil -- Absolutely fantastic! Every dish was not only delicious but creative. I would return in a heartbeat.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 11:02 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by bhrubin
Narisawa is tremendous. Absolutely loved it. Perfect fusion of French technique with Japanese ingredients with a mind-blowing experimental approach that we loved. Perfect service, friendly and enthusiastic yet with a Japanese sense of formality. Incredible wine pairings, too. Absolutely worthy of its place as a top restaurant in the world.
I went on their reservations website the moment that they started accepting reservations for September and managed to score a reservation at my first choice of date and time.

It was a close call between eating at Narisawa, Den and Ryugin, your review was the deciding factor.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 11:04 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by TWA884
I went on their reservations website the moment that they started accepting reservations for September and managed to score a reservation at my first choice of date and time.

It was a close call between eating at Narisawa, Den and Ryugin, your review was the deciding factor.
I only can hope your dinner will be as good as ours! I’m envious. I’ve recommended Narisawa to several others, and all of them have loved it, too.
TWA884 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.