Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Best Restaurants in the World" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Best Restaurants in the World" thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2017, 10:21 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Based on reputation alone, and having cooked several of their dishes, I've always been interested in Quay. But our next trip down under has us in Auckland and Melbourne only (for big cities) so Quay will not be in our sights regardless.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 8:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
Based on reputation alone, and having cooked several of their dishes, I've always been interested in Quay. But our next trip down under has us in Auckland and Melbourne only (for big cities) so Quay will not be in our sights regardless.
Quay has a great view but for all the hype, I was not that impressed with the food, and our meal dragged on interminably long. At least in Sydney, I much more enjoyed the food at Tetsuya.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 8:53 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Quay has a great view but for all the hype, I was not that impressed with the food, and our meal dragged on interminably long. At least in Sydney, I much more enjoyed the food at Tetsuya.
Our Aussie friends had recommended Tetsuya for our recent visit in May 2017, so perhaps we should have listened!

My TripAdvisor review of Quay: https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUser...uth_Wales.html

We liked it. But it didn’t wow us as much as we expected...except for the view. The service was uneven.

My TripAdvisor review of Sepia: https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUser...uth_Wales.html

We liked it, but we liked Quay more.

My TripAdvisor review of The Bridge Room: https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUser...uth_Wales.html

We absolutely loved The Bridge Room. This unquestionably was my favorite restaurant in our 2 weeks in Australia, including Sydney, Adelaide, and the Barossa.

We also dined at Eleven Bridge in Sydney, but I’m aware that it’s now changed format and name/style.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 11:44 am

Plotting reservations already for a trip to Melbourne next May. I may have some inside connections, but any front runners amongst this crowd worth a look?
Old Dec 11, 2017, 3:56 pm
DSI
formerly declinespecificinformatiom

was at the old EMP last weekend. Had a great time. My favorite dish was the bagels and some random cheese desert. Lots of great wine too! Had a few interesting things like a 1990 riesling, some killer feminine (beaune) burgundy and obviously we finished with a bottle of d'yquem. Lots of cocktails and the requisite Krug to start. I think I earned enough miles for a free RTW ticket!
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 4:03 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by DSI
was at the old EMP last weekend. Had a great time. My favorite dish was the bagels and some random cheese desert. Lots of great wine too! Had a few interesting things like a 1990 riesling, some killer feminine (beaune) burgundy and obviously we finished with a bottle of d'yquem. Lots of cocktails and the requisite Krug to start. I think I earned enough miles for a free RTW ticket!
I wonder if we crossed paths? I was there Saturday for lunch. I agree that those bagels and the cheese were both delicious!
Old Dec 11, 2017, 5:58 pm
DSI
formerly declinespecificinformatiom

Ah, you missed me by a day!
Old Dec 12, 2017, 12:31 am

Programs: KF Gold|VA Gold|HH Diamond|Kimpton IC|Hyatt Gold
Plotting reservations already for a trip to Melbourne next May. I may have some inside connections, but any front runners amongst this crowd worth a look?
Anything in particular you are looking for?

Quick list off the top of my head:

Attica
Saint Crispin
Osteria Ilaria
Atlas
Cutler + Co
Tulum
Vue de Monde
IDES
Embla
Tipo 00
Old Dec 12, 2017, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by oh_lol
Anything in particular you are looking for?

Quick list off the top of my head:

Attica
Saint Crispin
Osteria Ilaria
Atlas
Cutler + Co
Tulum
Vue de Monde
IDES
Embla
Tipo 00
Thanks!

Our first time in Melbourne, so looking to sample a nice cross section of the culinary scene there. We usually go for at least one tried and tested local legend as well as one young and upcoming. Past that point, we just aim for some diversity.

Will definitely research your suggestions over the Xmas break. Thanks again.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 8:48 pm

Programs: KF Gold|VA Gold|HH Diamond|Kimpton IC|Hyatt Gold
Thanks!

Our first time in Melbourne, so looking to sample a nice cross section of the culinary scene there. We usually go for at least one tried and tested local legend as well as one young and upcoming. Past that point, we just aim for some diversity.

That works well! Only a couple are very fancy/high end, the rest are just straight fantastic food.
Maybe once you've researched a bit, let us know what you're leaning towards, then we may be able to recommend more.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by oh_lol
That works well! Only a couple are very fancy/high end, the rest are just straight fantastic food.
Maybe once you've researched a bit, let us know what you're leaning towards, then we may be able to recommend more.
Will do. And I'll see what my Cheffy friends suggest as well.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 11:44 pm

Originally Posted by bhrubin
@aa213bb I ask because of being so disappointed at Quay and Sepia in Sydney—both of which I’d liken to 1* Michelin restaurants but which really didn’t stand out as much as I’d have expected. Quay was better than Sepia, but The Bridge Room blew both of them away in my opinion.

I’ll be sure to add Brae to my list. We couldn’t manage the time to include Melbourne in our most recent Aussie travels.
Was at Quay two years ago and quite liked it. Especially enjoyed their desserts. Just tried Sepia last month as they were rumored to be closing. It was OK but nothing wowed me. To be honest, if I want Asian/Japanese influenced dishes, I can find lots of better places in Japan. The one place that blew me away was Firedoor. Have always ranked my meal at Etxebarri as one of the best and Firedoor did not disappoint. Simple solid food done on a grill. Not as fussy as most Michelin star meals but I would highly recommend it
Old Jan 8, 2018, 1:10 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
Thanks!

I would rate the Vue De Monde experience and its luxurious ambience much much better than Attica's - even though Attica is Australia's best restaurant.

Originally Posted by bhrubin
Steirereck was a shocking disappointment for us. While the food was very good, and we enjoyed the service team, the restaurant has issues. The food itself was a study in subtleties, which for us lacked punch. Everything tasted good, but nothing really stood out. But the wine pairings were wonderful. Service had issues with timing throughout--the worst being a ridiculous 30+ min wait for the cheese course. We had to actually go hunt for our servers to complain. The lighting was too glaring on our table on arrival, and only ours, which we complained about. It took 5-10 min to fix. Then some staff flunkie turned the entire room lights back up to glaring not a short time later. Course card descriptions went missing for a few courses. Different wine pairings were brought for the same courses--though all wine pairings truly were outstanding. Felt a bit like a lot of pomp yet missing some important circumstance, resting on laurels long ago earned but perhaps not quite as deserved today. Looked like a 2* restaurant but delivered at best a 1* dinner. Overpriced. Definitely not a top 10 restaurant as its San Pellegrino rank suggests. Our concierge at the Hotel Imperial was stunned when he read my letter and email of complaint. It's been 3 days and still not a reply to our letter or email. Unlikely to ever bother returning.
Wow, your experience is quite a contrast to ours where we had an exceptional dinner service. We felt everything was 'on-point', the dishes presented were visually stunning. The flavours and textures; fantastic. We'd go back again if we are In Vienna way.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jan 8, 2018 at 3:20 am Reason: merge
Old Jan 8, 2018, 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by alanslegal
I would rate the Vue De Monde experience and its luxurious ambience much much better than Attica's - even though Attica is Australia's best restaurant.
Thanks for the suggestions, I will check them out!
Old Jan 8, 2018, 9:36 pm

What's not to be missed in Tokyo? I know Tokyo has plenty of stellar places, but for my upcoming visit there I cannot decide - too many places to choose. We have only been to Nihonryori Ryugin and really liked it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.