Search

Consolidated "Best Restaurants in the World" thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2017, 2:00 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeBanyan Contributor Badge

Programs: We love to Fly, Hotels and Discovery
Interesting development...

Massimo Bottura to open a restaurant at W Dubai - The Palm

W Dubai - The Palm will be the site of the first restaurant by Massimo Bottura in the Middle East.

The Italian restaurant located in the property on The Palm Jumeirah will be called Torno Subito. According to the hotel website, the property is scheduled to open in March 2018.

Bottura's restaurant in Modena, Osteria Francescana, is number two on the World's 50 Best list for 2017, and is also The Best Restaurant in Europe 2017.
Please see:

http://www.hoteliermiddleeast.com/31...ubai-the-palm/

Cheers & Safe Travels. ^
bhrubin likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 3:01 pm

Had fantastic meals about both Pujol and Quintonil a few weeks ago (prior to the earthquake).

Quintonil, in particular, was phenomenal.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 10:14 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Rome, Vienna, and Paris restaurant reviews

In Rome:

La Pagliaccio was amazing. Truly worthy of its 2*. Could almost be 3* in our estimation. Service, food, wine pairings, timing, personality of the staff were all wonderful. Really amazing food, pushing he envelope, and amazingly impressive wine pairings. Absolutely our favorite meal in Rome. Would return in a flat second.

La Terrazza at the Hotel Eden was amazing, too. Felt almost like 2* even though it is 1*. The view was very nice but wasn't particularly incredible for us as much as some say. Service, food, wine pairings, timing, staff were all fantastic. Food and service were much better than even we expected as 1*. A very impressive feeling restaurant with food and service to match..with a nice view. Almost decade t atmosphere which we loved. I showed up unknowing in a dressy but short sleeved shirt, and they apologetically sent me back to get a long sleeved shirt since I didn't want to wear the jacket they kindly offered--and we still absolutely loved this restaurant and our dinner. Almost as incredible as La Pagliaccio. Would return in a flat second.

Aroma at the Palazzo Manfredi Hotel was a good 1* restaurant. Food was very good, better even than we expected, but service could be a bit slow. Wine pairings were good. The view onto the Coliseum is amazing. More casual in decor and feel otherwise, though the staff was more dressed. Would return, but not in a rush.

In Vienna:

Opus at the Hotel Imperial was perhaps the most beautiful of all the restaurants so far. It may be only 1* but it felt better. Plush, almost sexy, decor, incredible service, and very good food. Staff a bit formal but otherwise lovely. I was able to wear a shirt sleeve dress shirt here despite the formality. Excellent dining. Would return if back at or near the Hotel Imperial in a flat second.

Steirereck was a shocking disappointment for us. While the food was very good, and we enjoyed the service team, the restaurant has issues. The food itself was a study in subtleties, which for us lacked punch. Everything tasted good, but nothing really stood out. But the wine pairings were wonderful. Service had issues with timing throughout--the worst being a ridiculous 30+ min wait for the cheese course. We had to actually go hunt for our servers to complain. The lighting was too glaring on our table on arrival, and only ours, which we complained about. It took 5-10 min to fix. Then some staff flunkie turned the entire room lights back up to glaring not a short time later. Course card descriptions went missing for a few courses. Different wine pairings were brought for the same courses--though all wine pairings truly were outstanding. Felt a bit like a lot of pomp yet missing some important circumstance, resting on laurels long ago earned but perhaps not quite as deserved today. Looked like a 2* restaurant but delivered at best a 1* dinner. Overpriced. Definitely not a top 10 restaurant as its San Pellegrino rank suggests. Our concierge at the Hotel Imperial was stunned when he read my letter and email of complaint. It's been 3 days and still not a reply to our letter or email. Unlikely to ever bother returning.

In Paris:

La Scene at the Prince de Galles Hotel was fantastic. Hosted a surprise birthday party for my husband. Table of 12 by the open kitchen was wonderful. Service was very good and prompt yet also relaxed, friendly, and appropriate to our slight casual party atmosphere. Food and wine pairings were wonderful, with a few standouts that were truly spectacular. The 5 course meal at 165 euros and wine pairings at 65 euros seem a bargain in Paris and for the quality we enjoyed. Love the Deco design, though some of the other tables might be a bit closer together than I prefer. Definitely a 1* or better restaurant. Would return in a flat second whenever at the PdG or even at the FS George V next door.

Coming Monday night: Septime in Paris. Hoping for a truly remarkable meal.
Boraxo, uggboy and callmedtop like this.

Last edited by bhrubin; Oct 9, 2017 at 9:30 am
Old Oct 8, 2017, 4:16 pm
DSI
formerly declinespecificinformatiom

Do they still do that huge slab of tasty butter with bread to start? That was my favorite part about La Scene, where the service that night, was very, very bad. We enjoyed it, but honestly the worst service fine dining service I've ever had: they'd only serve two of the four of us at a time and wine timing was off by ludicrous amounts. I did like all the points we accrued and the 10% coupon we had
Old Oct 9, 2017, 3:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by bhrubin
Coming Monday night: Septime and its 3* in Paris. Hoping for a truly remarkable meal.
Which 3* do you mean?
Old Oct 9, 2017, 9:29 am
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by offerendum
Which 3* do you mean?
My bad! Edited to correct, thanks.

Turns out to not matter, anyway, as the French ATC strike tomorrow has forced us to cancel Septime so I can Eurostar to London tonight...to be sure to make my flight home tomorrow!
Old Oct 25, 2017, 3:32 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
I SO agree! Just came from Clove Club and we were terribly disappointed- especially since every other restaurant we chose in London was wonderful.

I am perplexed and have to admit I didn’t do my typical research, but trusted the “50 best” list. All of the restaurants we have visited on that list have been amazing, so we thought we could trust it.

But WTH?? The food was subpar- pretty universally and not one or two failed dishes. I am stumped.

All I kept thinking was “ the Emperor has no clothes!”

Originally Posted by VivoPerLei
I simply don't understand how the Clove Club maintains such a high ranking on this list, especially compared to some of the really outstanding Michelin starred restaurants that aren't on the list at all.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by damon88
I SO agree! Just came from Clove Club and we were terribly disappointed- especially since every other restaurant we chose in London was wonderful.
Where else did you eat in London?
Old Oct 26, 2017, 9:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member

I am perplexed and have to admit I didn’t do my typical research, but trusted the “50 best” list. All of the restaurants we have visited on that list have been amazing, so we thought we could trust it.

But WTH?? The food was subpar- pretty universally and not one or two failed dishes. I am stumped.

All I kept thinking was “ the Emperor has no clothes!”
I’m a big fan of Chutney Mary, Veeraswamy and Masala Zone for Indian food in London. Chutney Mary is the higher end one of the three. I think they are all owned by the same group. The maitre de at Chutney Mary once told me they had 7 chefs, one for each region of India.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 11:20 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
I generally avoid the 'lists' but have been known to check out places listed on OAD - that's how I tripped across Hedone. But every time I think about Clove Club, I see another negative review from people who appear to have experienced palates.

We'll be in London before Xmas and a visit to Clove Club will not be a priority.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 2:38 am

Just visited Clove Club last night: I liked the dessert most—not saying the meal was bad at all, but nothing exceptional for all the hype. Maybe that’s the problem, my expectations were set too high because of the raves and ratings. Looking forward to Kitchen W-8 and Hedone (again) in the coming days
Old Oct 27, 2017, 2:50 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by op487062
Just visited Clove Club last night: I liked the dessert most—not saying the meal was bad at all, but nothing exceptional for all the hype. Maybe that’s the problem, my expectations were set too high because of the raves and ratings. Looking forward to Kitchen W-8 and Hedone (again) in the coming days
Hopefully going to Hedone in a few weeks but would be very interested in seeing your notes on W-8 when you go.

Are you planning to share with the rest of the class?
Old Oct 27, 2017, 3:03 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
So our favorite meal was at Restaurant Story- it most reminded us of Eleven Madison Park- fine dining with whimsy and a sense of humor - (and every morsel was delicious )

We also really enjoyed Gymkhana.

London had many small surprises. Our friend who lives in Hampstead took us to a tiny Tapas place that was really quite good.

And speaking of good (WOW). just had an amazing dinner at Antiche Carampane in Venice.
VivoPerLei and bhrubin like this.
Old Oct 28, 2017, 7:06 am

So our favorite meal was at Restaurant Story- it most reminded us of Eleven Madison Park- fine dining with whimsy and a sense of humor - (and every morsel was delicious )
Agree completely! I loved my meal at Restaurant Story and whimsical is the perfect adjective for it.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by op487062
Was at Clove Club last Dec and the fried chicken was good. Other dishes were ok

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.